CYYZ Ground ops question

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

CYYZ Ground ops question

Post by Canoehead »

Hoping on of the YYZ tower controllers can riddle me this...

Scenario:

Arrival on the south runways, destination: Terminal 1 domestic gates (AK).

Why can there not always be a direct switch from 121.9 to 122.27, instead of the sometimes/sometimes not 121.65 'interruption'? I realize AK is .65 territory, but why the inconsistency? Outbounds I guess?
---------- ADS -----------

cossack
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: CYYZ Ground ops question

Post by cossack »

You answered your own question. South Ground always looks to give you straight to apron at AK but sometimes it just can't be done efficiently. SG sees traffic coming through the ramp and down B and 15L and doesn't know for sure where any of it is going. If there's doubt or its too busy to coordinate, then we switch you to North Ground.

In addition, there is a lot of training going on in ground right now and the trainees are encouraged to stick to procedures until they are more experienced. So sometimes you'll get NG give you to apron on first contact with nothing else around, but SG was too busy to ask.

Also, AK is an inbound point so you sometimes will get the switch. AL on the other hand is outbound, so you'll rarely get the switch from NG to Apron.

The inbound/outbound flows are standardized but can become quite fluid to make things run smoother. DP is officially the inbound point for the 143-175 gates, so landing on 23 and getting in AL or AM is actually a short-cut.

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

Thanks cossack

Is it a visual thing that the SG can look at and do, or do you actually have to verbally (or hand signals, or laser beams :lol: ) agree with the NG controller?

cossack
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cossack »

SG and NG sit about 20 feet apart facing pretty much away from each other. SG faces the CN Tower and NG faces the threshold of 23 and there is a concrete roof support which obscures SG's view just north of AK. Yes we have labelled ASDE but it doesn't show gate numbers on inbound aircraft, just callsign and colour-coded as an inbound.

The controllers can agree ahead of time to allow SG to use their discretion and transfer traffic directly to apron at AK without asking. If there is any doubt, workload permitting SG will ask (shout across the cab and listen for a reply or look for hand signals or a nod of the head - hi-tech eh?) or if its just too busy or unlikely to be approved, switch to NG.

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

Another question for the YYZ folks: How many controllers are working at any given time in the tower (tower, ground, clearance)? Are there three working these positions and then three on break who swap in/out when needed? I ask because sometimes I hear one controller working both tower frequencies, but usually there's a separate person for north ground and south ground. I'm sure I'll find out the answer when I start my generic VFR Tower training in YYZ next week, but I was just thinking about it and I've always wanted to know. Thanks!

cossack
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cossack »

Sunday to Friday there's normally 5 working positions: 2 Tower, 2 Ground and Clearance and a supervisor.

When 24L/R are in use simultaneously there will be a monitor controller acting as an extra pair of eyes and ears on 118.35.

We should have 10 or 11 on shift to facilitate this operation: so 7 working and 3 on break, or 6 working and 4 on break if we're lucky. :lol:

After about 10pm and on Saturdays, the tower frequencies will be worked by one controller.

In the winter we will have 3 grounds to ease the workload brought about by snow removal and/or de-icing. Same staffing compliment though, so 7 or 8 working and 2 or 3 on break.

Good luck with the training. Work hard.

Whywhyz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Whywhyz »

cossack wrote:Good luck with the training. Work hard.

It's more luck than hard work, especially if you're sent to YYZ tower

Braun
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Braun »

Whywhyz wrote:
cossack wrote:Good luck with the training. Work hard.

It's more luck than hard work, especially if you're sent to YYZ tower
Says the person with one post who most likely just got CT'ed...you are right all you need is luck. :roll:

Whywhyz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Whywhyz »

Not CT'd, on the contrary

1 post for anonymity

Return to “ATS Question Forum”