Anyone fail in person interview but reapply with success?

This forum has been developed to discuss ATS related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

Anyone fail in person interview but reapply with success?

Post by nfpeanut »

I'm currently on my second try at the ATC application process. First time I made it all the way into the final in person interview but unfortunately was not successful at that stage. I currently am back in the pool again and waiting for the next assessment invite in the spring. Hopefully I can make it as far again with better results this time around. Is there anyone on here who might care to share with me if they've made it that far again on a second try, and was actually successful at being offered a training position? I know it's possible but it would be nice to hear from someone who has been where I am. If you are not comfortable posting on the wall I welcome private messages as well.
---------- ADS -----------

coffeeisexcellent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Anyone fail in person interview but reapply with success

Post by coffeeisexcellent »

Hey nfpeanut,

This will be my 3rd attempt (prior 2 I made it to the final interview and didn't think I bombed by any means). I am doing the in-person assessment at the end of the month and hopefully move on from there. I would also like to hear from anyone who has made it through after ending at the in person interview stage. If anyone has advice for the final interview I wouldn't mind a chat as after reading a lot from different posters it seemed that the final interview was pretty much a formality which obviously it is not. I did not take it as a formality either time but I do not recall any glaring errors I made and I answered all the questions they asked fully.

Thanks a lot for whoever replies, I know NavCanada does not give any feedback once you get the red light so any kind of input is appreciated from you guys or girls.

nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nfpeanut »

I kind of had the idea that it was a "formality" in some way as well I think, therefore I went in with a level or arrogance (for lack of a better word) and maybe comfort level that I shouldn't have had...Obviously I was wrong. I really feel that I know a few places where I went wrong myself. I didn't even pretend to be enthused about moving somewhere crappy to start out for one, even though I could bid out somewhat in a reasonable time. I lost sight of "get the opportunity" and worry later on about where it is when I'm more established. I was a little indecisive about the stream I'd like most, either IFR or VFR, mostly because of the location that would place me in. I think that showed that mostly I was not that serious about the job. I also don't think that I took enough leads or initiative in the interview. I just sat there and waited for them to ask me questions. Normally I'm not that person at all and I can't really say why it played out that way. Having said that though, there was some feedback during the interview that was positive and they did tell me they liked a few things I answered with, but overall I was not the total package they were looking for at that time, based on the "interview performance" I gave. I am a person who is pretty introspective and I don't take things too personally, so I will now use the things that I feel I did wrong to improve myself for the next time (hopefully there will be a next time).

Last edited by nfpeanut on Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

nfpeanut wrote:I kind of had the idea that it was a "formality" in some way as well I think, therefore I went in with a level or arrogance (for lack of a better word) and maybe comfort level that I shouldn't have had...Obviously I was wrong. I really feel that I know a few places where I went wrong myself. I didn't even pretend to be enthused about moving somewhere crappy to start out for one, event though I could bid out somewhat in a reasonable time. I lost sight of "get the opportunity" and worry later on about where it is when I'm more established. I was a little indecisive about the stream I'd like most, either IFR or VFR, mostly because of the location that would place me in. I think that showed that mostly I was not that serious about the job. I also don't think that I took enough leads or initiative in the interview. I just sat there and waited for them to ask me questions. Normally I'm not that person at all and I can't really say why it played out that way. Having said that though, there was some feedback during the interview that was positive and they did tell me they liked a few things I answered with, but overall I was not the total package they were looking for at that time, based on the "interview performance" I gave. I am a person who is pretty introspective and I don't take things too personally, so I will now use the things that I feel I did wrong to improve myself for the next time (hopefully there will be a next time).

For what it's worth....

Good on you for your self introspectiveness. Furthermore, may I add that it takes courage to share such a personal story with fellow aviation minded people on a public forum!

Best Regards, (respect!)
TPC

coffeeisexcellent
Rank 0
Rank 0

I have to agree I went in with a bit of arrogance or "expectedness" (not a word) to the interview the first time as well. The second time I did not and I felt I was way more prepared to answer their questions. I am hoping that if I am lucky enough to make it through a third time that they will see my determination as it has been the same HR lady both times prior, as I have been applying since 2010. I figure I must be doing something right to make it to the final interview and it's up to me to make it through that interview with flying colours. I just hope I can portray that to during the interview, and any tips from someone who has been through this successfully would be awesome. I feel your pain nfpeanut, here's to hoping the next time is the charm. for curiosity sake, are you applying in the Winnipeg region?

nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nfpeanut »

I am actually currently in the Edmonton region. I may be switching out to Gander though soon. I've been living in Alberta for a long time, and we want to move back to the east coast. I know it will be harder to get in down east because they do not train as often. No decision has been made yet though. I may continue in the Edmonton stream and bid into Gander in a few years when something becomes available...if I get the training this time. Edmonton trains far more often than Gander, so I have to prioritize what is most important. The job or the location...

coffeeisexcellent
Rank 0
Rank 0

as someone who is from down that way and actually lived in Gander and Goose Bay (born in Stephenville) currently living in Winnipeg I completely understand. I'm willing to work anywhere they can fit me in, knowing there are opportunities down the road to relocate. Good luck with the process again, I will keep checking back to see how everyone is doing.

all the best.

coffeeisexcellent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Just an update, I was offered a Training Seat starting in March. So for those who have applied once before and are discouraged, it is possible!

nfpeanut
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by nfpeanut »

That's excellent news indeed...Congratulations!! Where is your offer for? Winnipeg?

coffeeisexcellent
Rank 0
Rank 0

Thanks a lot, it's been a long road but it feels good. YWG FIR and it was a VFR course if anyone was curious.

bobberthacault
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bobberthacault »

Hey, im new here and just starting the application process,

Just out of curiosity, coffeeisexcellent, where is the trainning done for the YWG? is it out of province?

coffeeisexcellent
Rank 0
Rank 0

The course will be right here in Winnipeg at the ACC.

Return to “ATS Question Forum”