Ornge is a modern, vital, evolving organization that is dedicated to providing the highest quality transport medicine services to the province of Ontario. From air transport to the critical care land transport program, we provide a range of services to patients and hospitals across the province. We are looking for individuals who are dedicated and energetic and who are looking for a career with a dynamic, patient-focused organization. Ornge is committed to creating and promoting diversity, accessibility and inclusion in the workplace.
The Operations Control Centre (OCC) works closely with provincial hospitals, remote nursing stations, Central Ambulance Communications Centers (CACC), and other stakeholders to enable the transport of patients across Ontario.
The Operations Control Centre currently multiple vacancies as follows:
POSITION: Communication Officer – Flight Planning/Following
POSITION STATUS: Permanent; Swing; Full-time
RATE: Probationary: $26.19/hour; Post Probation: $33.14/hour
REPORTS TO: Operations Control Manager
LOCATION: 5310 Explorer Drive, Mississauga
The Communications Officer – Flight Planning/Following will plan and coordinate air and associated land patient transportation, team transfers for neonatal and organ retrievals. He/she determines the level of transportation requirements in accordance with patient care by selecting the appropriate resource based on geographical location and patient care/transportation needs. A key aspect of this role is effective communication with Pilots, Paramedics, Doctors and various allied health care professionals to ensure the safety of each patient during the transport phase of the call.
An ideal Communication Officer – Flight Planning/Following will have the ability to:
• To respond quickly and efficiently to emergency calls;
• Utilize exceptional interpersonal skills, courtesy, tact and compassion when interacting with other health care professionals;
• Work effectively in a demanding, challenging, emergency services environment; and
• Analyze issues, develop solutions and execute plans in an individual or team oriented role.
• Aviation background with a minimum of 3 years aviation experience as a pilot, flight dispatcher, ATC or similar aviation qualifications;
• In-depth knowledge of the aviation industry and aircraft capabilities;
• Successful completion of the Ornge Communications Officer’s certification training program;
• Strong understanding of the provincial air ambulance system and emergency services communications;
• Experience working within the Air and/or Land Ambulance Transfer System (specific PTAC or MATC experience would be an asset);
• Proficiency with MS Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Internet Explorer;
• Dispatch experience is a definite asset; and
• Ability to train and mentor is an asset.
HOURS OF WORK:
Successful candidates must be able to work shift work in a 24/7 operation. This includes an ability to work on a rotational shift basis. Rotational shifts include days, afternoons and nights on weekdays, weekends and statutory holidays as required. All successful candidates will be required to complete and meet the terms of a Declaration of Willingness and Ability to Work.
HOW TO APPLY:
Qualified candidates are invited to apply online at https://www.ornge.ca/careers no later than January 19th, 2019. If you require a disability accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us to provide your contact information. A Human Resources Coordinator will contact you within 48 hours.
Ornge is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available under the Human Rights Code. We thank all those who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.