We are looking for an experienced Coordinator, SMS to join our team! Our philosophy is that we want to find the right person to complement our existing workforce, not just a body to fill our recruitment needs. We work to ensure our teams are diverse, dynamic and well rounded. We understand that our employees want to do their best; we can help them achieve this through proper training, support and providing them with the resources needed to do their jobs.
If you’re wondering whether this position, or even if North Cariboo is right for, the honest answer is that North Cariboo Air is what you make of it. The opportunities are here, just waiting for you to seize them!
Job Title: Coordinator, SMS
Job Category: Safety Sensitive
Department: Safety Management Systems (SMS)
Posting Expires: January 24, 2020
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this opportunity and possess the required qualifications, please visit our website www.flynca.com for application instructions.
We appreciate all interested applications; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Coordinator, SMS will assist the Director, SMS to implement and facilitate the organizations Safety Management System in accordance with the company SMS, Health Safety and Environmental (HSE) and Dangerous Goods (DG) Manuals. The position will manage day to day functions of the SMS, providing support and guidance to key stakeholders, striving for continuous improvement and promoting safety as a core value throughout the entire organization.
Role and Responsibilities
• Overseeing the organization’s Health, Safety and Environmental Program, which includes but is not limited to:
o Ensuring compliance with all OHS, AOHS and Environmental regulatory requirements
o Researching, developing and/or assisting in the development, implementation and review of OHS, AOHS and environmental training including oversight of training records as applicable
o Reviewing all reported safety events for identifiable OHS, AOHS and environmental contraventions, reporting events to regulating bodies as required
o Participating and coordinating OSH, AOHS and environmental audits, inspections and reviews, maintaining records and managing audit responses when required
o Coordinating SMS Committee meetings including document preparation and review
o Developing, reviewing and maintaining Job Safety Analyses
o Maintaining compliance with client health and safety portals such as ISN World and Avetta
o Assisting in the maintenance, revision and publication of the Health, Safety and Environmental Manual
• Overseeing the organization’s Dangerous Goods Program by:
o Ensuring compliance to all IATA, ICAO and Transport Canada regulatory requirements including the completion of Dangerous Goods acceptance checks or shipping declarations as required
o Researching, developing and/or assisting in the development, implementation and review of Dangerous Goods training including oversight of training records as applicable
o Reviewing all reported safety events for identifiable TDGR contraventions, reporting events to regulating bodies as required
o Participating and coordinating Dangerous Goods audits, inspections and reviews, maintaining records and managing audit responses when required
o Assisting in the maintenance, revision and publication of the Dangerous Goods Manual
• Assisting in the implementation of the Organization’s Safety Management System by:
o Aiding data analysis, goal setting and safety performance measurement
o Aiding in the coordination and technical writing of Safety Management System documents, including the SMS Manual
o Participating in regulatory review, aiding in the company’s adherence to regulatory, client and internal expectations
o Coordinating reactive and proactive risk management processes by completing, reviewing and assisting managers in investigations, root cause analysis and corrective action plans as required
o Liaising/Reporting safety events to regulating bodies when required.
o Acting as the subject matter expert with respect to Human Factors Analysis and investigation
o Coordinating organizational change management activities
o Researching, developing and/or assist in the development, implementation and review of SMS training including oversight of training records as applicable
o Supporting the integration of quality and safety practices by performing audits, inspections and reviews, maintaining records and coordinating audit responses when required
o Coordinating the Emergency Response Program including preparing drills and simulations
o Maintaining training and credentials to participate in on-scene accident investigations
• Assisting in the oversight of the Aviation Security Program
• Actively supporting the company Safety Management System by participating in the program and its continuous improvement.
• Attending, as required, safety related conferences and training events.
• Other duties as assigned.
Education Requirements and Qualifications
• Post-secondary education in a related field with at least 3-5 years of Operational Aviation experience, preferably in a supervisory role.
• Previous experience performing accident or incident investigations.
• Certification or professional designation in Occupational Health, Safety and/or the Environment considered an asset, preferably with experience in a federally regulated industry.
• Previous experience working within a Safety Management System.
• Formal training in the Transportation of Dangerous Goods considered an asset.
• Formal training in Quality Assurance (DTI, ISO, or IOSA) considered an asset.
• A working knowledge of the CARs, ICAO, IATA, COHSR.
• Ability to plan, coordinate and implement safety programs.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills allowing for the effective presentation of information to management, clients, regulators and the general public.
• Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills.
• Exceptional organization with the ability to coordinate numerous time sensitive activities.
• Able to work independently with little or no supervision.
• Proficient with Microsoft office and other similar programs.
• Ability to hold and maintain a valid Transport Canada Security clearance.
• Hold a valid passport.
• Ability to travel as required
The ideal candidate will be analytical and driven to integrate safety into every aspect of our organization. The Coordinator, SMS must be committed to improving our safety philosophy with their tactful and assertive manner, keen attention to detail and ability to work well under pressure.
Location: Calgary, AB
Position Type: Full Time, 40 hour work week
Schedule: Monday – Friday; Weekends as required
Travel: As required
Please feel free to visit the careers section of our website for more information, http://www.flynca.com/careers/job-postings.