range of aerial fire control products and services to a variety of national and international customers and
partners. Our long-standing reputation for providing service excellence makes us an industry leader.
People define Conair and we currently have an opening for a full-time permanent Health & Safety Technician position.
Reporting to the Director of Safety as the Health & Safety Technician at Conair, your role is to provide health and safety support to managers, supervisors, crew leads and workers. As a self-motivated, detail-oriented and results driven person, your previous leadership and demonstrated organizational skills are required for you to take initiative and make the informed decisions needed in this position. Leveraging your past experience, you provide safety training and help your colleagues maintain a safe workplace.
Understanding the importance of a non-punitive approach to safety, as well as the need for collaboration with others to improve safety performance is essential for this role.
In this role your duties will include the following:
• Ensure compliance with the Canada Labour Code – Part II, federal health and safety regulations, manufacturers’ recommended safety guidelines and company policies.
• Conduct on-site inspections and audits at Conair facilities and field bases to ensure observance of safe work practices; safe condition of operational support tools and equipment as well as correct use of personal protective equipment.
• Identify and evaluate hazardous conditions and practices in the workplace, documenting findings and assisting Company personnel in maintaining safety guidelines, procedures, and policies.
• Investigate and prepare reports on accidents and incidents and make recommendations to prevent reoccurrence.
• Assist the Director, Safety and Human Resources with reporting and investigating employee injuries.
• Manage health and safety records and ensure compliance with mandatory reporting requirements.
• Assist the Director of Safety and Management with accident management and prevention.
• Measure and evaluate the effectiveness of the hazard control system, policies, and procedures and recommend changes that reflect opportunities to eliminate workplace accidents and injuries.
• Conduct safety training in numerous topics such as new-hire safety orientation and training; use of personal protective equipment; confined space entry; operating aerial lifts and forklifts; spill prevention and response; and other safety topics.
• Provide assistance to the Director, Safety in designing safety protocols and training; preparing safety manuals, procedures and guidelines; and maintaining training records for each employee.
• Participate as a member of the Conair Occupational Safety and Health Committee.
• Other duties as assigned by the Director, Safety.
We are looking for someone with:
• Highly proficient with Microsoft Office, specifically Word, Outlook and Excel;
• Demonstrated ability to gain employee respect and influence change;
• Exceptional organizational skills;
• Able to travel within Canada & internationally (occasional travel will be required);
• Demonstrated ability to act with professionalism, particularly in the face of opposition;
• Ability to clearly and effectively express information and ideas in English, both verbally and in writing.
• Proficiency in Microsoft PowerPoint;
• Knowledge of Canada Labour Code-Part II - Occupational Health and Safety;
• Knowledge of maintenance, repair and modification of aircraft and aircraft systems;
• Analysis and problem solving skills and ability to follow a defined process to determine root cause;
• Able to read and interpret information relating to WHMIS and an understanding of safety data sheet requirements;
• Skilled in developing employees to full potential and motivating others.
• High school diploma or equivalent;
• Valid driver’s license;
• Diploma or other qualification in a related field (such as Aircraft Maintenance Engineer License) and a minimum of three years’ work experience in that field; or one year of direct safety-related experience that includes training, investigations and communications;
• Past health and safety experience in an aviation-related environment is a strong asset.
If you are qualified and interested in this position, please submit your resume by March 5, 2021 to firstname.lastname@example.org with Health & Safety Technician in the subject line.
***Must be legally entitled to work in Canada (Canadian citizenship or permanent residency)***