chief pilot elegibility

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

maury
Rank 0
Rank 0

chief pilot elegibility

Post by maury »

Someone out there has to know the answer to this.
Can someone acting as a chief pilot for one operator, work for another operator in a line pilot position?
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: chief pilot elegibility

Post by Heliian »

Why the heck would you want to do that?

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

Of course. I do it. As long as you are legitimately fulfilling your CP duties I can't think of a reason why it would be a problem.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
maury
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by maury »

I know that it used to be that there was a requirement that the chief pilot hold a full-time position, thus making it impossible to work for others. I just wondered if it had changed.

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

I find it hard to believe that a requirement would have been phrased that way, and even if it were, you aren't drawing a logical conclusion. Plenty of people work full time jobs with second or third jobs on the side. Transport will expect the CP to be involved in the Operation and if they are considered absent (out of province, on vacation etc) they are to delegate another pilot to act out their duties.

I'm not trying to be snarky but If you are in a position to either hire a CP or be hired as a CP, you should be familiar with at least how to search for the relevant information.

From the CARS,

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/ ... tm#723h_88

(b) Chief Pilot

(i) Qualifications

The chief pilot shall have the following qualifications:
(amended 2003/06/01; no previous version)

(A) If the air operator certificate authorizes:

(I) day VFR only - holds a Commercial Pilot Licence (Helicopter);

(II) day and night VFR - holds a Commercial Pilot Licence (Helicopter) and a valid helicopter instrument rating; or

(III) IFR - holds an Airline Transport Pilot Licence (Helicopter) and a valid helicopter instrument rating; or a valid Commercial Pilot Licence (Helicopter) and a valid helicopter instrument rating;

(B) have at least 500 hours of flying time as a helicopter pilot-in-command, of which 250 hours shall have been acquired within the preceding three years;
(amended 2002/06/01; previous version)

(C) be qualified in accordance with the air operator's training program to act as pilot-in-command on one of the types to be operated;

(D) demonstrate knowledge to the Minister with respect to the content of the Company Operations and Training Manuals and, if applicable, the Company Check Pilot Manual, the provisions of the regulations and standards and flight operating procedures necessary to carry out the duties and responsibilities to ensure safety; and

(E) the chief pilot’s personal record in relation to aviation shall not include:
(amended 2003/06/01; no previous version)

(I) any conviction under subsection 7.3(1) of the Aeronautics Act; or

(II) two or more convictions, occurring during separate unrelated events, under the Canadian Aviation Regulations.

NOTE:

A chief pilot qualified under Subpart 704 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations may serve as the chief pilot for Subpart 703 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations operations within the same company.

(ii) Responsibilities

The chief pilot is responsible for the professional standards of the flight crews and, in particular:

(A) developing standard operating procedures;

(B) implementing all required approved training programs for the air operator flight crews;

(C) issuing directives and notices to the flight crews as required;

(D) the actioning and distribution of accident, incident, and other occurrence reports;

(E) the processing and actioning of any crew reports;

(F) the supervision of flight crew;

(G) assuming any responsibilities delegated by the Operations Manager; and

(H) in his or her absence, all responsibilities for duties shall be delegated to a person with equivalent qualifications except that the knowledge requirements may be demonstrated to the air operator rather than to the Minister.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
maury
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by maury »

I have no desire to be a chief pilot again and am not looking for one as I am not an operator. It was a simple question that was based on a comment made elsewhere, so instead of being an a$$hole about it maybe you should keep your vitriol to yourself. And I did look up your references to the regs before I posted. Because I couldn't find what I thought would be there was why I asked.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

maury wrote:instead of being an a$$hole about it maybe you should keep your vitriol to yourself.
I'm sorry Maury, I wish not to cause offence but I really can't understand why you'd feel the need to write such drivel. After all RBF attempted to answer your question and included references to back his answer in a polite and informative manner.

May I suggest four or five "fingers" of scotch? (Macallans 18 year old ought to do the trick!) As your reply would seem to indicate that you are rather stressed out!

All the best,
TPC

maury
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by maury »

You are right. My apologies to ragbagflier.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”