P2f and helicopters

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

P2f and helicopters

Post by timel »

Hey folks,

Is it a standard practice for Canadian Helicopter pilots to pay for a type rating in order to have a job?
Are you aware of pilots who do pay partial costs on commercial operations in order to accumulate hours?

I was told it was happening in Quebec few years ago, I am just wondering if it is still current.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: P2f and helicopters

Post by Heliian »

As in any business, there are people just trying to squeeze every last cent from you. Icefield heli used to have some racket like a training bond, I imagine there are others out there too. Quebec is a totally different ballgame as there are tons of pilots who only had to pay a couple of grand for training.

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

@Heliian, what do you mean by this: Quebec is a totally different ballgame as there are tons of pilots who only had to pay a couple of grand for training. ?
Thanks,
snoopy

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
esp803

Post by esp803 »

Snoopy,

I suspect he is talking about Chicoutimi College, where you can go get a government funded Helicopter license for pennies on the dollar. It's a shame that the rest of the provinces don't offer up programs like that. Free education, and increase the standard required for entrance.

E

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

Ahhhhhh! Thanks for the clarification! And they still do this? I believe Ontario had a similar program through Canadore? I remember following up a lead years ago when trying to figure out how to afford the conversion. Aside from the residency requirements I'm sure the competition was quiet fierce to get in - does that program still exist?

Cheers,
snoopy

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

The college in Chicoutimi pumps out about 40 pilots a year, some in Airline, some in Bush and some in Helicopters

The Mole
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by The Mole »

Its not common. Only if your a low timer, do you get exploited by some companies. Ive never paid for training. But I do know of pilots who signed under duress. Training bonds don't hold water, but if you need a job, signing under duress may be your only option.

timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

From what I can understand foreign nationals or locals flying at passport helicopter are/were proposed a commercial training package of 100 000$.
That package included ferry flight for commercial purpose or maintenance purpose where candidate would build hours by paying some of the cost of the flights (like 400$/hr instead or 1200$/hr an astar) or fuel cost on robinsons.

Helicraft would do the same kind of arrangements for low timers.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”