2500hr helicopter pilot looking for work

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

skid_marks
Rank 0
Rank 0

2500hr helicopter pilot looking for work

Post by skid_marks »

Australian commercial pilot looking for work or advice on gaining solid work in canada.

2500hr
R22, R44, H300, B206

Self employed bush pilot, mustering, sling, survey and charter experience.

Cheers.
---------- ADS -----------

.Heisenberg.
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: 2500hr helicopter pilot looking for work

Post by .Heisenberg. »

Good luck. Plenty of un-employed Canadian pilots right now desperately seeking work. Canadian economy is tanking and the helicopter industry is looking pretty grim right now.

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

I agree with Heisenberg,

But I know lots of companies who are still getting 3-6 work visas for foreign pilots...

Choppermech1986
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Choppermech1986 »

I have a hard time believing that. Can you name the ones that you are aware of?

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

I know that Quest and Delta both actively take on 3-5 foreign guys a year during the summer. A friend at both companies mentioned that both apply for as many work visas as they can get, likely to fill seats in summer and then they can let guys go come fall.

Choppermech1986
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Choppermech1986 »

I'm aware of how things work with regards to TFW's but I'm sure things have changed since the downturn. I'd bet that Qwest, Delta and Wood Buffalo would all have at least one TFW each but I'd be very surprised if they had many more than that and I'd be equally surprised if they had them for much longer.

You initially said that lots of companies are getting 3-6 work visas, I'm disputing that, I'd have a hard time believing that there were 10 TFW's in the Canadian helicopter industry right now.

Has anyone got any actual numbers?

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

I costs 5 bucks to send an Access to information request to ESDC in order to get the exact info, and it can now be done one line.....

https://atip-aiprp.apps.gc.ca/atip/welcome.do

Anyone needing help on what to ask, please contact me, be glad to help.

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

Spoke with a friend at Delta, confirmed a minimum of 3 TFW, with a few more that are on their own visa. He mentioned that the company picked up a few Canadian guys too. But his view is from the maintenance perspective so it doesn't effect his job.

I would like to see the actual visa applications though.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

MOAB wrote:Spoke with a friend at Delta, confirmed a minimum of 3 TFW, with a few more that are on their own visa. He mentioned that the company picked up a few Canadian guys too. But his view is from the maintenance perspective so it doesn't effect his job.

I would like to see the actual visa applications though.
You can see the LMIA application that the company filed with ESDC in order to obtain the work permit for the TFW, if you ask for it.
They will blot out the personal info but the rationale for needing a foreign pilot should be spelled out.....

AngelsSang
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AngelsSang »

It can be as simple as a foreign workers willingness to fit in, be a team player, eagerness to move to that location, and an employer who has a job opening, who wants to hire them. Often they become a permanent resident, and stay for years. It really is not some magical potion that gets a visa granted, it's really not hard at all. Besides, many speak a foreign language, which is an asset to many types of business, including bases that deal with tourists. Some people seem to complicate the easiest things. Relax, breathe, and remember the KISS theory...it applies to almost anything and everything in life!

BE20 Driver
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by BE20 Driver »

Is anyone really defending hiring TFW's right now when so many Canadians are out of work? If there are no qualified Canadians who can do the job, this is one thing. That is definitely not the case right now.
I'm a fixed wing guy, but if I ever found out that pilots were being brought in to fill a job that I or any of my laid off colleagues could do, I'd be screaming to every news outlet and politician who's contact info I could find.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

BE20 Driver wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:44 am Is anyone really defending hiring TFW's right now when so many Canadians are out of work? If there are no qualified Canadians who can do the job, this is one thing. That is definitely not the case right now.
I'm a fixed wing guy, but if I ever found out that pilots were being brought in to fill a job that I or any of my laid off colleagues could do, I'd be screaming to every news outlet and politician who's contact info I could find.
I guess that's what happens if you reply to a topic that's about 5 years old :roll: :wink:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
AngelsSang
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AngelsSang »

BE20 Driver wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:44 am Is anyone really defending hiring TFW's right now when so many Canadians are out of work? If there are no qualified Canadians who can do the job, this is one thing. That is definitely not the case right now.

Scream away! Further proving to every business owner that didn't hire you, that they for sure made the correct choice passing you up. That sort of attitude is EXACTLY WHY myself and others don't hire someone, just because they walked in the door with a license, thinking that makes them owed a good job. We don't owe you anything!

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

digits_ wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:18 am I guess that's what happens if you reply to a topic that's about 5 years old :roll: :wink:
It's OK though. Dude has multiple companies, employ's 600 people, has multiple personal assistants, and a BMI of 19%! He's also a walking lie-detector.....

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

AngelsSang wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:56 pm

Scream away! Further proving to every business owner that didn't hire you, that they for sure made the correct choice passing you up. That sort of attitude is EXACTLY WHY myself and others don't hire someone, just because they walked in the door with a license, thinking that makes them owed a good job. We don't owe you anything!
Lol I’d love to know what company you own…

Return to “Helicopter Forum”