Medevacs halted at 7 BC hospital helipads

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Medevacs halted at 7 BC hospital helipads

Post by North Shore »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.3723596
He said the problem stems from an interpretation of the performance standards in the manufacturers manual.

That manual suggests the Sikorsky helicopters don't have the performance capacity demanded by Transport Canada to land at certain helipads, classified as H-1, which have the strictest standards because they are surrounded by other buildings among other things..
A dispute over (I assume) single engine performance? Anyone in the know?
---------- ADS -----------

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Medevacs halted at 7 BC hospital helipads

Post by single_swine_herder »

As was explained to me by a TC helo guy, the machine needs to be able to shoot the approach on one engine and climb away within a certain gradient and routing...... not really any different than for fixed wing capability.

It is designed to minimize the likelihood the helo will end up in some intersection or a person's front yard in the event of a power loss.

Visual segment routing corridors may also be incorporated in procedures.

all_ramped_up
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by all_ramped_up »

This just happened in April in Nova Scotia.

http://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/regulation-b ... -1.2880642

I can't remember what happened after, whether they're still using the parking lot and Point Pleasant Park or whether they got permission to use the pads later.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

It's quite simple, if your helicopter is not capable of meeting the criteria then you need a new helicopter. The biggest argument so far is that "we've always done it this way". Again, surprise surprise, it comes down to money, all parties are going to have to break out the chequebook to come in line with the standards. The old 76's just don't have the jam but there are several other options available. Money is all you need.

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Well defined Helian.

The defence to progress in the industry I always found amazing is when someone is actually stupid enough to connect their tongue to their brain and say "We've never killed anybody," as if that is the only criteria to hold an AOC and transport the public.

SSH

All Sides
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by All Sides »

[quote="Heliian"]It's quite simple, if your helicopter is not capable of meeting the criteria then you need a new helicopter. The biggest argument so far is that "we've always done it this way". Again, surprise surprise, it comes down to money, all parties are going to have to break out the chequebook to come in line with the standards. The old 76's just don't have the jam but there are several other options available. Money is all you need.[/quote]

The question is: Why did it take 9 years to enforce? The next thing is, will the provinces buck up to pay for a CAT A performance machine, my guess is no. So that leaves no rotary wing medevac capability in BC and NS that meet H1 performance (which is not CAT A performance anyways). We are left with the what ifs, not unlike a single engine aircraft taking off in cities all over Canada everyday.

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

This was likely the last of a series of steps because the previous education, consultations, notice of proposed regulatory changes, the CARAC process, briefings, cajoling, threats, begging, cautions, etc failed to obtain any positive, measurable change to meet criteria which is there to protect Joe and Jane Schmoe in the public.

I doubt the Rotary wing POI for these operators was swinging in a hammock being fed peeled grapes by dancing girls for 9 years until being sent out of the office with direction to shut down the healthcare system.

SSH

cf100mk5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cf100mk5 »

I live very near to Children's Hospital in Vancouver. Several weeks ago a black notar helicopter did two approaches(dont know if it actually landed or hover turned and flew out). And then came back several days later and landed/shut-down. Anyone know anything about this helicopter?

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by helicopterray »

cf100mk5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by cf100mk5 »

Yep that was it. Thanks. Much quieter than the S-76. However the S-76 is a huge improvement(noise wise) over the Bell 222 that use to come in here.

AngelsSang
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AngelsSang »

The S76 seems to be a terrible choice in my opinion. Performance wise, lose an engine, it is a slug compared to the MD Explorer, or Airbus H145. Soon I predict that 99% of BC air medi birds will be an H145. Single engine performance is still pretty respectable in them. The days are numbered for those old slugs, and slugs still in use from any brand. Once upon a time the main helicopter in use around here was the bell 206, aka 'jet buggy' as its commonly known, at least locally. Finally the past several years they are being moth balled, and replaced by something at least a bit more modern. I was frankly surprised that any were still left flying 25 years ago. Slow, terrible range, lift barely anything, noisy, archaic, and way beyond their useful life span for 95% of them. For sale since the 1960s, based on 1950s technology, doesn't really cut it in 2021, and hasn't in decades truth be told. Seems to me that the industry as a whole is well overdue for a good shake up, and finally the last 4 or 5 years it started to happen. Doesn't matter if we are discussing air medis, fire suppression, moving people around, heli logging, or replacement of HVAC units on the roof of sky scrapers in the center of a city. The machines are in need of newer models, and the old school base managers need to be retired, and pilots are often needing an attitude adjustment to in my opinion. Back on topic, good bye to the old Sikorsky crap, hello to machines at least only using 25 year old technology, not stuff from the 1970s when they came out with the S76. By the way most if not all those Hospitals have reopened their pads. Ps. My daily driver car and pickup are not 1950, 1960, 1970, or even 1980 vehicles, because I like reliability, comfort, quietness, and getting more than 12 MPG, and stopping from hwy speeds in 1/3 of the distance those old jalopies can.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”