Ontario vs. BC

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

mr.meatballs
Rank 0
Rank 0

Ontario vs. BC

Post by mr.meatballs »

Hey guys, Im looking at pilot courses to apply to right now im living in Ontario and trying to decide if making the move to BC might be in my better interest. So far BCIT and Canadore stand out, tuition is around the same, the cost of living would of course be cheaper in ontario and with the steep turitions prices this is pretty appealing. Anyone have any advice on programs or been to either of these schools?
---------- ADS -----------

helicopterray
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Ontario vs. BC

Post by helicopterray »

MOAB
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MOAB »

Go with whatever school is cheapest. At the end of the day your in the same boat as every other 100hr guy/girl.

Chinook could have connections, Mountainview could get you doing tours.

Save money for your road trip after getting a license.

Last edited by MOAB on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Loner »

Save your $ and avoid rotary like the plague! Go fixed wing, at least you’ll have a better chance to find work.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

How's bout Manitoba? Isn't everything cheaper there?

Cessna 180
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cessna 180 »

There's also a number of quality schools in Alberta, which all should be cheaper to live and rent (GST only) than Kitchener or Vancouver.

crosstube
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by crosstube »

Loner said it already, keep your money and go fixed-wing you will have a better future than going helicopter.

CT

AngelsSang
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AngelsSang »

As an employer in BC, I like seeing a student train in BC. They are unknowingly doing a mountain course, while getting their ticket. Flat landers come here, and nearly crap their pants at an sort of hill. Alberta, Saskatchewan, etc are terrible places to train, if you ever actually plan to apply in BC. At the very least come do a good 20 hours in a BC mountain course after your initial license if you plan to do that route.

PitchLink
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by PitchLink »

mr.meatballs wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:35 am Hey guys, Im looking at pilot courses to apply to right now im living in Ontario and trying to decide if making the move to BC might be in my better interest. So far BCIT and Canadore stand out, tuition is around the same, the cost of living would of course be cheaper in ontario and with the steep turitions prices this is pretty appealing. Anyone have any advice on programs or been to either of these schools?
+1 save your money and do something else, unless you’re doing this just for fun and aren’t hurting for money (independently wealthy). You won’t find a job for the next few years the way things are. From what I’ve seen on here lots of people have at least my experience in this industry and for the most part agree with this. Do your research and best of luck to you.

Thumper45
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Thumper45 »

I have lived in B.C. most of my life.
I was looking into the heli stuff prior to starting my PPL and from EVERYTHING I have been hearing, if this is a career move, then you are going to hard pressed finding any work with heli operations right now.

I also hear that if you intend on flying in BC that most of the companies prefer you train here due to the mountains and such. Like others have said, you get mountain flying built into regular training due to the environment.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”