Too many flight schools ?

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

butterflyRotors
Rank 0
Rank 0

Too many flight schools ?

Post by butterflyRotors »

I was wondering if there was an issue in the industry at the low time level, found plenty of school for commercial training but I have not found many companies that hire fresh 100 hours pilots.

Are some schools just businesses to make money ? which are worse ?
Are there schools that will turn away students if they are not really fit for the trade ?
Which schools are reputable to graduate students that are finding jobs VS students that try to find jobs.

I find weird that there is no filter to enter the program.
---------- ADS -----------

Loner
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Too many flight schools ?

Post by Loner »

butterflyRotors wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:44 pm Are some schools just businesses to make money ?
Are there schools that will turn away students if they are not really fit for the trade ?
Really?! Are you that naive?
:rolleyes:

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

butterflyRotors wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:44 pm Are some schools just businesses to make money ?
All flight schools are businesses. Businesses exist to make money. That's pretty much how capitalism works. Did you expect a flight school to be a charity?

butterflyRotors
Rank 0
Rank 0

Maybe naive. What I am for certain is unfamiliar with the aviation industry.

And about capitalism, ever heard of a car garage ? It's a business right ? some are ripping customers and some others are doing phenomenal job with passion. I am asking which school is the best to get the most relevant experience and directions without the bullsh... of yeah there is job, your flying is fine, yes here is your license thanks for the 70 000$

crosstube
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by crosstube »

Well to start, I have to say you have the right attitude to be in this industry, You don't take bullsh... Now like you said, it's like a car garage business, some are good and some are there just to make money. I would say most of them are good and decent schools. Keep asking questions and some newly trained helicopter guys will answer your questions better than I could, myself being a longtime heli pilot but not in connection with any schools or what they teach nowadays.
Suggestion to you, have you thought of going fixed-wing? The helicopter industry and the trade itself is slowly dying from the technologies coming out these days, like drones etc etc Seems like now it is slowly coming back to life and a demand for heli pilots (experienced) is on the rise but will never come back to what it used to be (my thoughts)
Like I said earlier keep asking questions and you will get some intelligent answers from people who know what the heli school system is like.

CT

All Sides
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by All Sides »

Well I disagree with cross tube on one thing, you will have to put up with plenty of BS if you get into the helicopter industry.

Before you spend any of your hard earned money do lots of research, talk to as many pilots as you can. Forget doing it on forums, do it in person. For example, the average low time pilot that ever finds gainful employment is probably under 15%. Of the pilots that do, a lot of them spend up to 5 years sweeping floors, driving pick up trucks, dispatching, you get the picture.
As cross tube says, drones will be taking a lot of work away from the industry, how much of it is highly debatable. If you still decide to do your training after exhaustive research, it depends on where you live and what kind of job you will be looking for that would dictate where you should train. By the way if you plan to get your first job in Vancouver, Calgary or Toronto, save your money. Think High Level, Norman Wells or Yellowknife for example, perhaps even worse. Plan 4 week shifts in exploration camps or crappy hotels in the middle of nowhere once you do have experience.

There’s more if you are still interested, do your research and leave your attitude at the door is my advise.

butterflyRotors
Rank 0
Rank 0

zxzxxzxzxzxxzxzxzxxzxzxzxxzxzxzxxzx

AngelsSang
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AngelsSang »

All Sides wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:18 am Well I disagree with cross tube on one thing, you will have to put up with plenty of BS if you get into the helicopter industry.

Before you spend any of your hard earned money do lots of research, talk to as many pilots as you can. Forget doing it on forums, do it in person. For example, the average low time pilot that ever finds gainful employment is probably under 15%. Of the pilots that do, a lot of them spend up to 5 years sweeping floors, driving pick up trucks, dispatching, you get the picture.
As cross tube says, drones will be taking a lot of work away from the industry, how much of it is highly debatable. If you still decide to do your training after exhaustive research, it depends on where you live and what kind of job you will be looking for that would dictate where you should train. By the way if you plan to get your first job in Vancouver, Calgary or Toronto, save your money. Think High Level, Norman Wells or Yellowknife for example, perhaps even worse. Plan 4 week shifts in exploration camps or crappy hotels in the middle of nowhere once you do have experience.

There’s more if you are still interested, do your research and leave your attitude at the door is my advise.

This is good advice!
Give a potential employer any attitude, and what was going to be an hour interview, will be over in 60 seconds or less. Leave the macho man crap behind you, and yes plan to sweep floors, run errands, etc for a while, because I personally want to see how you handle basic things, amazing how many people can't. But if I hire someone as a pilot, they will either be flying some within 3 months, or fired because they can't handle it.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”