Too old to fly for a career?

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Fltlnz
Rank 0
Rank 0

Too old to fly for a career?

Post by Fltlnz »

Hi guys, I apologize in advance since this is probably a boring, and repetitive question for most here.
My question is as stated, I'm currently 27 years old and I've wanted to fly helos since I was a kid, but never did because when I was young I was impressionable and afraid to take risks.
I've tried to read what I can about this topic what I can without posting, and 30 ish seems to be a realistic cut off point. The extra layer here I need help with is, I have a decent job now as a heavy equipment mechanic (50-60kish) my only debt is previous student loans and 6500 dollars remaining in old debt. My question is if I were to take around three years to save the 55k it would take to pay up front, would that be better than taking a loan and starting immediately given my age? Since with no debt I could take any time building job? And not have to worry nearly as much financially? Or would waiting that long put me too far behind the age curve?

Again apologies for a post I'm sure everyone has read 10 times
---------- ADS -----------

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Too old to fly for a career?

Post by TT1900 »

You’re not too old.

PM sent.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

I'm too busy to read your post. I saw "27 years old". You're not too old. Make sure you know what you're getting into though. If you want it, go for it, if not don't. It makes no difference to most people.

Das ist mir wurst...
EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

I was 38 years old before I did my first revenue flight as a First Officer fixed wing. (and with 1200 hours prior experience (1000 Instructor), and that was in the thick of one of the worst down turns in aviation history (9/11) where it took 2 1/2 to 3 years ramp/dock work experience to eventually earn a flying position. I know the struggles that were involved in my experience, and I also know a couple of younger guys pursuing the same dream in the "swing Wing" world, and they never realized their dream. It's basically twice as hard, or worse,to break into the helicopter industry, and from my understanding, the helicopter industry is suffering big time...ie, no jobs!

Keep the dirty side down.
Twowheelcharlie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Twowheelcharlie »

I was expecting you to be in your 60s or something and you think 27 is too old? Especially to fly a helicopter?

No comment . . .

If wasting someone's time was your goal congratulations!

You did it with this post.

butterflyRotors
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by butterflyRotors »

I was 29, did the course, did many road trips, visited over 20 companies... unsucessful. Even got laughed at like " oh no, another 100 hour pilot, hide! ...". NO JOKE! Some were welcoming but there was so much pity, I really felt like I made a mistake having hopes in finding a job as groundcrew for eventual pilots.

I suggest finding a company that will hire you based on your personnality and skills rather than hoping to find a company that will hire you for having done
a commercial license like the hundred of others begging for jobs that can eventually lead to flying. Everybody gets the license if they got the cash, what makes you stand apart ?

Didn't find a job and gave up so maybe don't listen to me, but don't do like me !!!! 70 000$ for a middle class dude is a effing fancy drift.

milo83
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by milo83 »

Get your licence and a working visa for Australia. There are plenty of opportunities for keen hard working people to fly tours in remote locations, build some then time and comeback to Canada. Just make sure you check the busy season in the areas you want to work, there is no point looking for down south in winter or up north in summer.
Good luck and have fun.

lemdkmia
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by lemdkmia »

I recently overheard ...

Guy - "am I too old to get into flying?"
Fractional ownership co. president - "no, how old even are you?"
Guy - "19"

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Um, I'll be 68 this float season. Still given er!

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
fijdor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fijdor »

Right on lost lake, I am 65 and still going strong in helicopters.

FD

AngelsSang
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AngelsSang »

It is dependent upon the person, far more than a number. You can be too old at 20, and not too old at 40, to start. How is your health, weight, eyesight, mind. If you're 20, can't remember piss all, 50 lbs overweight, wheezing if you run up two flights of stairs, terrible hand eye coordination, scare easily, give up on everything, and think taking stupid university courses like womens studies is how you should live you are too old. Now lets say you are twice that age so 40, but maybe you hike up mountains, surf, golf, walk your dog 4 kms a day, have good reflexes, wonderful memory, aren't scared of everything, and believe in hard work, as well as having good morals and ethics, your not too old to start. Using an actual number is useless. I was recently searching for another personal assistant. Interviewed a 21 year old, who was way too old for the job. Hired a lady 33, who is youthful, and doing great.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

AngelsSang wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:44 pm It is dependent upon the person, far more than a number. You can be too old at 20, and not too old at 40, to start. How is your health, weight, eyesight, mind. If you're 20, can't remember piss all, 50 lbs overweight, wheezing if you run up two flights of stairs, terrible hand eye coordination, scare easily, give up on everything, and think taking stupid university courses like womens studies is how you should live you are too old. Now lets say you are twice that age so 40, but maybe you hike up mountains, surf, golf, walk your dog 4 kms a day, have good reflexes, wonderful memory, aren't scared of everything, and believe in hard work, as well as having good morals and ethics, your not too old to start. Using an actual number is useless. I was recently searching for another personal assistant. Interviewed a 21 year old, who was way too old for the job. Hired a lady 33, who is youthful, and doing great.
Ha ha ha. Be careful you might trigger a snowflake into a meltdown. Calling them out for laziness, lack of fitness, and aura of virtue signaling is harming their human rights. Their mommies may be after you to be nicer. :) i am joking, well mostly.

Last edited by Kejidog on Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Fltlnz,

I'm 41 now and training for a career as a pilot, and I don't think I'm too old. Take that for what it's worth.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
AngelsSang
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AngelsSang »

Kejidog wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:42 pm
AngelsSang wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:44 pm It is dependent upon the person, far more than a number. You can be too old at 20, and not too old at 40, to start. How is your health, weight, eyesight, mind. If you're 20, can't remember piss all, 50 lbs overweight, wheezing if you run up two flights of stairs, terrible hand eye coordination, scare easily, give up on everything, and think taking stupid university courses like womens studies is how you should live you are too old. Now lets say you are twice that age so 40, but maybe you hike up mountains, surf, golf, walk your dog 4 kms a day, have good reflexes, wonderful memory, aren't scared of everything, and believe in hard work, as well as having good morals and ethics, your not too old to start. Using an actual number is useless. I was recently searching for another personal assistant. Interviewed a 21 year old, who was way too old for the job. Hired a lady 33, who is youthful, and doing great.
Ha ha ha. Be careful you might trigger a snowflake into a meltdown. Calling them out for laziness, lack of fitness, and aura of virtue signaling is harming their human rights. Their mommies may be after you to be nicer. :) i am joking, well mostly.

I've dealt with snowflakes, and their mommies before. Had a soy boy come for an interview last summer, brought his mommy along...wtf She was there to make sure that I didn't treat him badly, like the guy who interviewed him somewhere else a month earlier did. I told them to F off, no interview at all if you need mommy. How could he ever work ( washing and detailing semi trucks and equipment ) if he can't handle an interview.

AngelsSang
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AngelsSang »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:04 pm Fltlnz,

I'm 41 now and training for a career as a pilot, and I don't think I'm too old. Take that for what it's worth.
If you don't think that you are too old, you likely aren't. Usually the ones who have to ask, already know deep inside they are. I'm 49, and probably in better shape than 95% of the people half my age. After work today I shoveled snow, split firewood, carried in firewood, and after dinner will go walk our dogs with my girlfriend. When I go to town to do errands, I just park, and walk to anything within a 10 block radius and then back to my vehicle. I see people who are in their 20s, who move their car because they bank 2 blocks, from their insurance place. An appointment on the 4th floor so they take the elevator, I run up the stairs, doesn't matter if my lawyer is on the 9th floor, which it is. All the little things add up. Also eat right, don't get fat, that sort of thing. My BMI is 19%, and still wear 31 inch waist jeans like i did 30 years ago. It isn't difficult to do, its a lifestyle choice.

TT1900
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TT1900 »

AngelsSang wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:48 pm If you don't think that you are too old, you likely aren't. Usually the ones who have to ask, already know deep inside they are. I'm 49, and probably in better shape than 95% of the people half my age. After work today I shoveled snow, split firewood, carried in firewood, and after dinner will go walk our dogs with my girlfriend. When I go to town to do errands, I just park, and walk to anything within a 10 block radius and then back to my vehicle. I see people who are in their 20s, who move their car because they bank 2 blocks, from their insurance place. An appointment on the 4th floor so they take the elevator, I run up the stairs, doesn't matter if my lawyer is on the 9th floor, which it is. All the little things add up. Also eat right, don't get fat, that sort of thing. My BMI is 19%, and still wear 31 inch waist jeans like i did 30 years ago. It isn't difficult to do, its a lifestyle choice.
A BMI of 19%.....impressive.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

AngelsSang wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:48 pm

If you don't think that you are too old, you likely aren't. Usually the ones who have to ask, already know deep inside they are. I'm 49, and probably in better shape than 95% of the people half my age. After work today I shoveled snow, split firewood, carried in firewood, and after dinner will go walk our dogs with my girlfriend. When I go to town to do errands, I just park, and walk to anything within a 10 block radius and then back to my vehicle. I see people who are in their 20s, who move their car because they bank 2 blocks, from their insurance place. An appointment on the 4th floor so they take the elevator, I run up the stairs, doesn't matter if my lawyer is on the 9th floor, which it is. All the little things add up. Also eat right, don't get fat, that sort of thing. My BMI is 19%, and still wear 31 inch waist jeans like i did 30 years ago. It isn't difficult to do, its a lifestyle choice.
Being "too old to start out as a pilot" isn't just a matter of health. Those starting at 40 must accept that they will likely never captain a 777. It's not impossible, but it's not likely. You've turned the question into one about health - I think it was more a question about timeframes. Flying 737s to sunny vacation spots on a plum rotation is a more reasonable career goal in that case.

But at 27, I think the OP has plenty of time left above ground to reach the top.

AngelsSang
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AngelsSang »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:13 pm
AngelsSang wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:48 pm

Being "too old to start out as a pilot" isn't just a matter of health. Those starting at 40 must accept that they will likely never captain a 777. It's not impossible, but it's not likely. You've turned the question into one about health - I think it was more a question about timeframes. Flying 737s to sunny vacation spots on a plum rotation is a more reasonable career goal in that case.

But at 27, I think the OP has plenty of time left above ground to reach the top.
Since the question was asked in the helicopter forum, I doubt the OP plans to fly any of Boeing's jets, from any seat. But if he was wanting to, you are correct. Although for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would want to captain an airliner. Only so many cloud tops I care to see, while on AP.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

AngelsSang wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:50 pm Since the question was asked in the helicopter forum, I doubt the OP plans to fly any of Boeing's jets, from any seat. But if he was wanting to, you are correct.
Whoops, missed that this is the helo forum. My bad.
AngelsSang wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:50 pm Although for the life of me, I can't understand why anyone would want to captain an airliner. Only so many cloud tops I care to see, while on AP.
Because airliners are the biggest machines ever constructed. I have no desire to fly for an airline, and even I get that.

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

RedAndWhiteBaron wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:24 am Because airliners are the biggest machines ever constructed. I have no desire to fly for an airline, and even I get that.
Are they? There’s an oil tanker over 1500 feet long. And the Hadron Super Collider might want to argue with that.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”