Mount Everest

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

ruddersup?
Rank 4
Rank 4

Mount Everest

Post by ruddersup? »

Mount Everest landing - translating landing not a hover landing?
Would you need at least a 50 mph wind?
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Mount Everest

Post by Heliian »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXNXSvnCtKA

Short answer no, you only need a little forward speed for extra translational lift. The ground effect is more useful, hence the low skid gear.
That B3 was stripped out completely, including the lead mass balancer from the head.

Bugdriver
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Bugdriver »

I don't think that low skid gear would make much difference for the ground effect. Seeing that the peak is a pinnacle of snow, their would be little cushion from ground effect in my opinion. It didn't appear to be too windy at all up there from what the belly cam part of the video showed. I wonder what the VNE would be at that altitude? I don't have a manual handy to look it up.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Bugdriver wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:38 am I don't think that low skid gear would make much difference for the ground effect. Seeing that the peak is a pinnacle of snow, their would be little cushion from ground effect in my opinion. It didn't appear to be too windy at all up there from what the belly cam part of the video showed. I wonder what the VNE would be at that altitude? I don't have a manual handy to look it up.
Suprisingly, the low skid gear does help to give you that extra margin of cushion we kept a jetranger on low gear just for that purpose and it was noticeable.

Theoretically, the VNE at the top of everest would be 100km/hr (55kts)

Return to “Helicopter Forum”