Question about landing technique

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: North Shore, ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako

DHC-1 Jockey
Rank 6
Rank 6

Question about landing technique

Post by DHC-1 Jockey »

I've never flown a helicopter but I saw this video in another subforum here on Avcanada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1EtGMh ... e=youtu.be

Why does the helicopter land with forward momentum, then execute a very tight turn on the ground very close to the edge of the landing pad and then face back the way it landed? Why not just come in and land on the "H" in the hover, or land just short of it and roll a few feet forward to a stop?

I might be naive as a fixed-wing pilot, but it looks like an accident waiting to happen by taxiing directly towards the edge of the landing pad, especially if there were brake issues, pilot distraction, etc. Seems like it could be easy to unintentionally end up in the drink.
---------- ADS -----------

Schooner69A
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Question about landing technique

Post by Schooner69A »

I would have to see more than one landing to see if this was just a "long" landing or was the routine.

As for having brake failure, you'll notice that he maintains full power until stopped. If he sensed brake failure, he'd just pull in collective and move into the hover. Then, reposition and maintain position with the cyclic until a chock could be placed under a wheel...

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Interesting, There really is no reason, except to make the landing a little easier than trying to hover over the edge of the pad. Maybe they were originally intending on parking on a spot ahead of them and got directed back to the corner.

MOAB
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MOAB »

There making an approach to the FATO, then taxi to a parking area to leave room for other aircraft to land.

Also the FATO provides a certain amount of safety area, say an engine quits short final they could make the center of the safety area and not land short or worse in the water.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

MOAB wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:07 am
There making an approach to the FATO, then taxi to a parking area to leave room for other aircraft to land.

Also the FATO provides a certain amount of safety area, say an engine quits short final they could make the center of the safety area and not land short or worse in the water.
That is correct, the main FATO is centered on the pad. however, there are also east and west DAY fato's that can be used but maybe there is other marine traffic off the side we can't see. It's also possible that it's just helijet SOP's to always go for the middle.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

I use Helijet regularly for my commute and have landed many times at that pad in the harbour. They always land on the middle pad and taxi to the edge pads to shutdown and unload. I’m assuming it’s their SOP. They do a similar thing at YVR as well. (Land at pad C then taxi to their ramp.) I’ll try to find out why next time I fly with them.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”