Which one would you recommend?

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

tommivo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Which one would you recommend?

#1 Post by tommivo » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:41 pm

Here I am: another fellow pilot trying with some FW experience to get into helicopter training. I know it's highly competitive that in my late 30s, my chances to make an interesting career are slim, anyway my decision has been made.
My question for you guys: which of the following would you recommend:
Helicraft in Montreal
Helicopter Canadien in Quebec city
Great Slave Helicopters in Calgary.
I would rather choose the last one but all their training is done in a B206 at 800$/hr, even though they call it "subsidize" training.
Any input would be very appreciated.
Fly safe.
---------- ADS -----------

rotorhead350
Rank 4
Rank 4

#2 Post by rotorhead350 » Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:25 pm

Hey tommivo, I would try Great Slave. They have a good school from what I heard and they do hire some students from their program, i think something like 5-10 a year. They have tons of work happening in the north and it is not goingto end anytime soon. I have a freind who flew fixed-wing for years and had like 3000 hrs, and then decided to get into rotary-wing. He got his licence and got hired by Great Slave and they promised him like 600 hours his first year. His first 6 week tour out with a Bell 206 in Churchill, Mb he flew 100 hours. and he will come close to flying that again this tour. Best of luck............rotorhead350

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

#3 Post by sky's the limit » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:23 pm

From what I understand, Great Slave is interviewing prior to starting your training now, so they WILL hire after you come out.

The starting wage the're paying a friend of mine is $1800/mo and $40/flt hour, which is a decent rate for a 100hr pilot, but it's not much if you're trying to pay back that chunk of change. And you'll only work May-Oct with GS.

The other direction will cost you half, but you're on your own for work with most schools.

Good luck

STL

tommivo
Rank 0
Rank 0

#4 Post by tommivo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:45 pm

Thank you very much guys for the help.
I am already down to 2 choices actually: Helicopteres Canadiens or GS Helicopter.
If not for the 85000$, that would be GS.
Food for thought...
Thanks again.

Planetman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Helicopter flight training

#5 Post by Planetman » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:31 pm

Hey Tommivo, Why don't you find 2 or 3 other like minded people and buy a helicopter. When you're done your flight training you can continue with some "relatively inexpensive" build up time , or sell your share.
I wish I would have done this when I started my rotor wing training. I am now doing it for my son and his training.

tommivo
Rank 0
Rank 0

#6 Post by tommivo » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:37 pm

Hi Planetman
thanks for the advice, but first I woul have to find a couple of other serious guys as motivated as I am, lots of guys are talking about it, few will go all the way.
Plus I really wanted to start connections with schools having also flight departments, we never know, a job on the ramp to start with may become available and I will be around.
Where did you go for your training and where is your son flying his own heli?
I hope your son can appreciate his position.
Cheers

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

#7 Post by sky's the limit » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:08 pm

Hey Tom,

It doesn't matter with Canadina which base you train at, but I was suggesting training in the mountains as Rotorfloat mentioned. But if you're going to stay East, Cndn is no better/worse than anywhere else, and it's the largest heli company in Canada.... So it has it's advantages.

Good luck,

STL

Return to “Helicopter Forum”