Swing Wing PPL

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Swing Wing PPL

Post by Doc »

What am I into for a PPL ticket on a swing wing? Cost, hours etc?
I've got a shit load of fixed wing time. Do NOT want to work(way too old for that crap!) as a heli driver. I'd just like to fly one. A guy needs a hobby! Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

sky's the limit
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Swing Wing PPL

Post by sky's the limit »

PPL in rotary is a waste of time Doc,

Seriously, even a 60hr conversion course is very lean on getting going. I was working with 65hrs after my 5hr initial company training, and believe me, you want to do as much as you can...

You get that 206 ride yet? Told you so.... ;-)

stl

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

That 206 will have to wait till spring. I hate winter! Not ever planning to work at it. Just go fly one so I can see how useless I really am! :smt040 :smt040 Is a 60 hour conversion a CPL? That would be just enough to enable a guy to scare the shit out of himself.

rotorfloat
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorfloat »

Yes, Doc, 60 is the CPL conversion from fixed-wing commercial. With your aviation background, experience etc, 60 hours won't scare the shit out of you.....it'll be just enough to make you want more :smt040

If you just want get your private just to say you've done it, by all means, go for it. That's exactly what one of my students did back when I was instructing. She had thousands of fixed wing hours, floats, offstrip, etc. She freely admitted that she planned on doing exactly 0 with her PPL-H, she just wanted to learn it.

Cap'n P8
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Cap'n P8 »

I'm with you on this one Doc. I'd love to do a heli licence just for the fun of it. After busting my ass for such a long time to get a job close to home I just couldn't see myself working rotations up in the bush away from the family. But man it looks like so much fun!

I did however use to twist wrenches for a heli company and got to ride in them many times. Unfortunately, they always had the dual controls removed. :cry:

"Hell, I'll fly up your ass if the money's right!"
Orlando Jones - Say It Isn't So
rotorfloat
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rotorfloat »

PPL-H Requirements

Note the 15 hours of credit if you hold a higher type aeroplane licence, as well as IFR credit as well. Have fun!

Doc
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Doc »

Anybody want to sell me 30 hours on a S300??

Return to “Helicopter Forum”