Road trip

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

prop music
Rank 1
Rank 1

Road trip

#1 Post by prop music » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:17 pm

Hello avcanadians!

As an apprentice AME, I'm planning to go west and show my face at every helicopter operator hangars. At what time of the year do you think my odds are better?

Thx alot! :prayer:

prop
---------- ADS -----------

prop music
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Road trip

#2 Post by prop music » Tue May 04, 2010 10:24 am

Well well, I read on every aviation employment forum: " Go on a road trip, go knock on doors etc etc.." Everybody agree, but NOBODY answered my question : " WHAT IS THE BEST SEASON FOR THAT???" :roll:
I'ld like to know from your personnal experience!
By the way, it's for an apprentice AME (helicopter) opening that i'm looking for... :wink:

Thx!

prop music

rotorfloat
Rank 4
Rank 4

#3 Post by rotorfloat » Wed May 05, 2010 7:51 am

Hey Prop, sorry for the delay :smt008

For bush/field work, now would be the time to start approaching operators. Most have a decent idea of how their summer contracts are going to turn out and can start planning on staffing.

If it's shop or component overhaul you're after, I can only guess that they'd be steady year-round. Not sure though. Good luck.

Glory.
Rank 3
Rank 3

#4 Post by Glory. » Wed May 05, 2010 5:37 pm

I definetly agree, now is the the best time as operators are searching for guys for the summer. On another note, if theres no luck out there right now, try again in august or sept sometime. I have gotten 2 jobs that both happened because i stopped by between the middle and end of august. This is roughly the time the guys they hired back in spring begin to slack off or screw up, therefore opening the door for someone else when they get told to kick rocks.

As for the slim chance of work over the winter, if ground crew experience is all your hoping to get, try to target heli skiiing companies. They obviously start up in the winter time and a well- (lucky)- placed knock on the door could get you into a sweet lodge heliskiing deal, with snowmobiles to ride, good food to eat, and some good helicopter winterizing lessons to be learned.

best of luck!

Return to “Helicopter Forum”