Advise Highly Appreciated

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

veveritza
Rank 0
Rank 0

Advise Highly Appreciated

#1 Post by veveritza » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:56 am

Good Day to all. I am new on this forum and hope to meet some people here.

I am planning to relocate to Canada from South Africa. I have contacted some schools and they gave me some info on how to get my Canadian license.

I just need some help. I have a South African Commercial Helicopter license but I am low time, round 400 hours, of whick 260 hours are turbine on the AS350. My ratings are RH22, RH44, H269 and AS350. I also have a night rating but a VFR Comm only. What is the situation in Canada once I convert my license to ge a low time job. I am planning to move to Calgary.

Any advise will be higly appreciated... :prayer:
---------- ADS -----------

bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Advise Highly Appreciated

#2 Post by bandaid » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:10 am

Good luck on your move to Canada. I hope those in the know will have some good advice for you.

c_172pilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

#3 Post by c_172pilot » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:32 am

Veveritza,

Welcome to AvCanada! This topic has been discussed adnauseum (many times before). I would recommend the search function and then post follow up questions.

Here is some information that will point you in the right direction:

Transport Canada Helicopter Pilot Licensing: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... 1-1086.htm

Specifically para 9:
(9) Credits for Foreign Applicants

Provided that the applicant has met the flight time requirements specified in subsection (4):
(amended 2005/06/01; previous version)

(a) the holder of a Commercial or higher type pilot licence in the helicopter category issued by a Contracting State is considered to have met the ground school instruction requirement specified in subparagraph (3)(a)(i) and the experience requirements specified in subsection (4); or
(amended 2005/12/01;
I cannot comment weather or not TC (Transport Canada) will recognise your South African qualifications, you will need to contact them.

Once you have the licence requirements out of the way you will need to address the issue of "The legal right to work in Canada". It is not as easy as showing up and saying "hey would you hire me". The process is long and expensive. If you are just coming to work for a short while you can apply for a temporary work permit. See immigration Canada's web site http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.asp

Once those two boxes are checked you can then begin the job search in Canada. To be honest with you there is an overabundance of Canadian pilots who are either unemployed or underemployed. I would caution you that the Canadian industry can be very difficult to get into, difficult but not impossible.

Best of luck!

*Mods perhaps a sticky " So you want to work in Canada eh?" Might be in order.
c_172pilot
Aviation is proof, that given the will,
we have the capacity to achieve the impossible."

The Mole
Rank 5
Rank 5

#4 Post by The Mole » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:29 pm

job prospects are not good. Lots of canadian pilots not working. Natural gas prices are at record lows, cash isnt really flowing in exploration. America is piss broke. There is work, but with low hours its going to be hard. Don't let the schools lie to you.

I know a few company's that have parked aircraft and pulled insurance off them. That was in the summer.

Nobody cares about a night rating here. Only a few operators fly at night. Turbine and piston time are not really any concern. Its weird, but nobody cares about it here. If you can fly a robbie and you havn't died, yet. Then most agree, you can fly a turbine. Its more about flying abilities and what kind of flying you've been doing.

good luck.

veveritza
Rank 0
Rank 0

#5 Post by veveritza » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:39 am

Thank you very much too all for the replies. I believe the whole world has pilots not having jobs. South Africa is not the best place at the moment too. I think hanging around SA till I have round 1000 hours should be the best thing to do for now... :?:

Herleston
Rank 0
Rank 0

#6 Post by Herleston » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:25 pm

Yeah , I agree with you as the pilots have difficulty in finding potential jobs around the world. Most of the jobs offered have very little salary to offer which is nothing compared to the risk that pilots have to take in every flight.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”