AVCANADA

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:53 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Enstrom Tug Needed
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 4:06 pm 
Rank 0
Rank 0

I am looking for a gas powered tug to move my piston Enstrom in and out of the hangar and along a 100 yard asphalt taxiway every time I fly. I don't have electrical power in my hangar so I have no way to charge most electric tugs, unless I get and run a gas generator, which I would prefer not to do if a gas tug exists.

I have not been able to find such a tug via google searches. Has anyone seen one in their travels or knows where I can get one? Many thanks.

Post subject: Re: Enstrom Tug Needed
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:48 am 
Rank 6
Rank 6

I have no experience with the enstrom.

But have you in looked into a 4 wheeler? Anything stamped with "aviation" on it is going to be expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:28 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

Please tell me about the Enstrom. I'm looking at getting a piston helicopter and know the Hughes 300c and R-22 and 44 quite well but they are pricey for what you get in my opinion. I have in house maintenance but no experience with the Entrom. I would fly it privately and not work it hard but if a hook is available I do have some slinging to do.
Thanks,
ruddersup?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:33 pm 
Rank 0
Rank 0

I only have experience with the Hughes/Schweizer 300C and Bell 47 as a comparison to the Enstrom F28 models. No Robinson time yet. The Enstrom helicopter is a very robust machine and flies feeling like a much heavier machine than the 300. I found the Hughes to be very responsive or twitchy almost compared to the Enstrom models which are responsive but not as sensitive. They have three bladed high inertia rotor systems, seat three across on a bench seat, have two 20 gallon tanks, and a very wide stance strong skid gear with attached flip down ground handling wheels. Machine can be ground moved by one strong person with good traction on level grade. If you have to move it any distance or up or down grade then you will need a buddy or a tug. Autorotations are possible right down to 'full on' whether be grass or the runway. You can get floats (air bags), bear paws, and a cargo hook for them. They can be flown with doors on or off. Horsepower varies but is between 205 - 225 and comes turbo charged if wanted. Mine is turbo charged and burns about 14 US gallons per hour yielding 85 mph comfortably with two persons on board. I find the machine has good visibility, handles well, flies comfortably and economically. Here is Enstrom's website http://www.enstromhelicopter.com for more info on their current models. I don't know what new models cost but I've heard they are around $550K. Used prices for machines with half time engines and components range between $110K - $250K. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:54 am 
Rank 4
Rank 4

Thanks Hubcap for the info.
What is the maintenance like? Can you run a 100 hours without much to attend to other than the typical engine demands.
Are parts readily available and reasonably priced?