Prep for FAM flight

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

T-Rex
Rank 0
Rank 0

Prep for FAM flight

Post by T-Rex »

Hello all. I'm hoping to have time for a FAM flight in a couple of weeks. I'm thinking of trying the R22 first ($250), then if I really like it I may try another (at a different school) on an R44 ($400). Are these prices typical? Should I skip the R22? Given the short duration and the cost, I'm trying to prepare however I can to make the most of it. I know I can't learn how to fly from reading books, but for example I've read tips about: being light on the controls (not using a death grip); applying pressure to the controls rather than trying to move them; and, keeping your hands referenced to something like your leg or the seat (instead of letting them float). Anyone have any tips?

Thanks!
tr
---------- ADS -----------

donnybrook
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Prep for FAM flight

Post by donnybrook »

My advice, for what it's worth, is to go for the flight and enjoy it. Listen to the instructor/pilot's coaching, but you are there to see if it is something you want to drop tens of thousands of dollars on. Look out the window, enjoy the view, move the stick thingies around to get the feeling of the machine and get the vibe. All the learning and stress comes after you decide to commit....

T-Rex
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by T-Rex »

Thanks for chipping in donnybrook. I figure the more I know what to expect, the more relaxed I'll be. Of course I likely won't remember a thing once I get the controls, but I definitely plan on enjoying it.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

I'm jealous !
If i had the coin, i'd convert in a heartbeat!
Let us know how the fam flight goes.

Keep the dirty side down.
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

FWIW, I'd skip on one of the fam flights...you'll decide one way or another after the first flight - the second is just a waste of money..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”