Helipad requirements for hospitals?

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Canuck223
Rank 3
Rank 3

Helipad requirements for hospitals?

#1 Post by Canuck223 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:35 pm

Just curious, but what does it take to build and approve a helipad for a hospital?

MrsC and I were discussing the matter, wondering why the local hospital having spent a bomb on renovations would not have included a helipad.

The local airfield is 10-15 minutes away, but with ambulance transfer times, I can't help but think a rooftop pad would be a worthwhile idea?
---------- ADS -----------

thisgoodone
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Helipad requirements for hospitals?

#2 Post by thisgoodone » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:59 pm

hmm, I actually don't have an answer for this. Just caught my eye because I had the exact same thought earlier today.. my best guess would be a concrete slab on the ground, unless were talking rooftop, then, I would guess the building would have had to be designed for this from day 1,

bandaid
Rank 10
Rank 10

#3 Post by bandaid » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:06 pm

The Mole
Rank 5
Rank 5

#4 Post by The Mole » Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:06 pm

$$$$$$

Prairie Chicken
Rank 7
Rank 7

#5 Post by Prairie Chicken » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:56 am

I was involved in the massive assessment & certification of numerous heliports in AB years ago. The standards have changed since then but I believe the same principals/regs apply.

Short story, are you talking aerodrome (where any a/c, in this case a heli) can land, or are you talking heliport (a certified airport)? If your hospital is within the built-up area of a city or town, it would need a certified heliport c/w all of the associated expenses and regulations. That's pretty daunting for anything other than a major hospital.

If your hospital is on the edge of town, it may not need a certified heliport, in which case any piece of lawn or field would be adequate. Or, dress it up with pavement & markings and register and publish it in the CFS.

Or maybe your municipal government decided the local aerodrome or airport was close enough & they didn't want to mess with helicopters.

As previously mentioned .... $$$$.
Prairie Chicken

Return to “Helicopter Forum”