Full motion level D Helicopter simulator

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Type

Bell Mediums
67%
33%
AS350/355
No votes
S76
No votes
AW139
No votes
other
No votes

Total votes: 3

FastFlyBy
Rank 3
Rank 3

Full motion level D Helicopter simulator

#1 Post by FastFlyBy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:51 pm

I'm interested in finding out whether there would be any interest, and if so how much, in a full motion helicopter simulator situated at YVR. There is currently a S76 level B full motion sim at YVR that is in regular use, however it will only simulate the one type. Considering how many rotary aircraft are in use in Canada, I imagine that a simulator that would replicate a number of types would prove very useful to a number of operators. My question is, which type(s) would be desired, and how much use would it get.

I imagine the Bell mediums and Astar/Twinstar are the widely used in Canada, but to be honest I really don't know.

So the question I am asking again is, would you use a fully certified heli sim, and if so, how often would you use it, and which types.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by FastFlyBy on Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

kevinsky18
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Full motion level D Helicopter simulator

#2 Post by kevinsky18 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:09 am

In order to be a full motion D level the cockpit has to be an exact replica of a known flying machine. Thus a level D won't be able to simulate multiple different types of machines.

At the very best you might get away with different variations with identical cockpit. i.e. 200 series, 300 series etc if the cockpits are the same.

FastFlyBy
Rank 3
Rank 3

#3 Post by FastFlyBy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:22 am

With the latest simulator designs you actually can achieve level D with different types utilizing separate roll on/roll off cockpit modules. The simulator would have a single motion base and visual dome. There would be an individual cockpit module for each required common type, with additional change-over equipment for any variations (throttle quadrants, instruments ect) within that type. The software running the machine would have a common database for visuals, navaids, ect but separate loads for each type each with its own unique flight model.

But for arguments sake lets just say we want one unique simulator but we don't know which type yet. Which type helicopter would place the highest demands for training on a simulator? It has to pay for itself after all.

All Sides
Rank 3
Rank 3

#4 Post by All Sides » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:17 am

The sim in Dallas/Ft. Worth at Bell gets lots of use. The one we use is 212/412 for our VFR and IFR training and PPC's. TC also use it. You might want to talk to TC and CHC and see if they can utilize a sim in the YVR area. I would think that the bulk of demand would be for IFR training?

FastFlyBy
Rank 3
Rank 3

#5 Post by FastFlyBy » Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:46 am

Thanks for the feedback All Sides

I agree that IFR is typically the bulk of simulator training. Its because of that I am wondering how much demand there could be from VFR operators, as I don't know if IFR training demands would be enough to justify the expense. I believe (don't quote me on this and I don't know how realistic it is) that there are sims out there now that are capable of simulating long lining and other visual/feel critical training.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”