Training for CPL in USA and Converting to Cad CPL?

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

FiveZigen
Rank 0
Rank 0

Training for CPL in USA and Converting to Cad CPL?

Post by FiveZigen »

Hello everyone, I am hoping to ask you guys for some advice. First a little back ground I currently have almost 54 hours of R22 time all in the USA. I have worked in the industry here in Canada (I'm Canadian) for over seven years and with helicopter spray outfits for two seasons. I am now at the point where I haved saved the remainder of what I need to complete my commercial rotorcraft license. I have done a few tours of schools here in Canada including Canador's program through Essential Helicopters. I have also spoken with a number of other schools both in the states and here in Canada via telephone and email in regards to there trainning programs.

So here is my question. If I complete my training in Canada I will need to convert my FAA PPL to a Canadian PPL (approx 10 hours) and then do the conversion to CPL which is another 60 hours. Or I can continue my training in the states where I will need 150 hours for a commercial, so another 100 hours or so and then write the PStar and do a flight test to convert my FAA CPL to a Canadian CPL (maybe another 10 hours flight time). Here is the deal though, if I finish in the states it will cost less then finishing in Canada, and I will get 50 hours more flight time, an IFR (which while it wont help me get a job at this point will make me a better pilot and will help in the future) and a night rating. I have been told by numerous schools that the standars are higher in Canada and I will have trouble finding a job or meeting the requirments for a Canadian license. I have done a little research and according to the CARS and the FAA practical testing standards it would seem this is not true (See here---->http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/tes ... 81-16A.pdf http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/r ... #schedule6 ). The tolerances for the commercial testing is tighter on the FAA side of things. An example would be maintaining altitude; Canada for the commercial test its +- 200ft or 150 for an IFR, for the FAA its +- 100ft. As far as the job is concerned from my own experience it comes down to work ethic and a positive attitude more then what you can do with a helicopter. Plus having contacts in the industry here in Canada as well as a lot of relevant experience to draw from I feel like have a leg up so to speak on getting that job on the ground which hopefully down the road translates into a flying position. On top of that I still will have to do a flight test and get a recomend to convert my FAA to a Transport Canada license and once I pass that I will have met the same Canadian standards as all other 100 hours CPL pilots here in Canada. I realize that the instructor training me in the states may not have thousands of hours, but carefull selection of a flight school can turn up instructors with a lot of relevant time and experience in the industry.

So if any one out there has gone this route or if any one has any experience or advice for me I would really like to hear from you. Please if you have the free time to leave your thoughts I would very much appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Ryan
---------- ADS -----------

pgase83
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Training for CPL in USA and Converting to Cad CPL?

Post by pgase83 »

Hi Ryan,

I just have a question for you, are you sure you could convert FAA to TC?
I have a FAA ATP H, when I asked TCCA to get my ATP H, they told me I could get the credit of my flight time but no convention to convert like FW pilot.

Jeff
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Helicopter Forum”