retraining flight engineer on the pilot

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Andrey
Rank 0
Rank 0

retraining flight engineer on the pilot

Post by Andrey »

Hello!
I am a helicopter flight engineer. In the future, I want to go through re-training for future work as co-pilot. I would be grateful for any information regarding the process of re-education. How is this possible?
---------- ADS -----------

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: retraining flight engineer on the pilot

Post by ahramin »

Where do you live? Do you have the funds available to you? Where can you work? Give us a bit more info.

Andrey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Andrey »

ahramin wrote:Where do you live? Do you have the funds available to you? Where can you work? Give us a bit more info.
I agree.)
At the moment I live in Ukraine. He served in the Air Force as a flight engineer instructor helicopter Mi-8T/MTV (retired at the end of the contract). Experience - 15 years. Total flying time - 1086 hours. Higher education aviation.I know that the cost of retraining is quite large. I can not afford at this time to pay for their education. Considering the option of long-term contract with an airline for training (sponsorship program) further employment and the subsequent payment of tuition fees under the contract. As far as possible at the moment?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

They have sponsored training programs in Russia but I'm guessing you don't have a Russian passport.

Do you have the right to work anywhere outside Ukraine?

Andrey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Andrey »

ahramin wrote:They have sponsored training programs in Russia but I'm guessing you don't have a Russian passport.

Do you have the right to work anywhere outside Ukraine?
You are right I do not have Russian citizenship.
I see an option on a permanent basis. If there are suggestions for further study and work outside of Ukrainem, I will decide about moving (based on the rules of the immigration policy of the State in which there is work).

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Sorry, don't know of any program that would be open to you.

Andrey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Andrey »

ahramin wrote:Sorry, don't know of any program that would be open to you.
Thanks for the reply. I understand that you first need to decide which concerns the right to live and work in the state in which you plan to retraining and further work.

In general, having a license FE may be retrained on the co-pilot? I certainly understand that anyone can get trained and get a CPL:-) but I meant giving a license FE advantage? (given the same experience in the crew). After all, basically 80% of the functional responsibilities of the co-pilot performs as a flight engineer.

I will be glad to hear the opinions and advice of the former FE that have been retrained and are currently working as co-pilot

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Andrey wrote:After all, basically 80% of the functional responsibilities of the co-pilot performs as a flight engineer.
Possibly this is true in some countries on some aircraft, but in North America and Europe co-pilot duties are not similar to flight engineer duties. The co-pilot flies the plane, same as the captain. In any case I'm sure your aviation experience would help you get a job, but not without a pilot's licence. The company I work for did retrain its flight engineers to pilots but that was a one time deal for existing employees only and was over a decade ago.

Good luck.

Andrey
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Andrey »

ahramin wrote:
Andrey wrote:After all, basically 80% of the functional responsibilities of the co-pilot performs as a flight engineer.
Possibly this is true in some countries on some aircraft, but in North America and Europe co-pilot duties are not similar to flight engineer duties. The co-pilot flies the plane, same as the captain. In any case I'm sure your aviation experience would help you get a job, but not without a pilot's licence. The company I work for did retrain its flight engineers to pilots but that was a one time deal for existing employees only and was over a decade ago.

Good luck.

Program sponsored by the airlines I realized closed. It remains only to pay for their education. The cost of education is quite high. Programs of most schools provide ATPL theory -750 hours and total flight time -200 hours with the issuance of a frozen ATPL. What is the prospect of employment in the future? What can you advise flight school (preferably with the ability to stay and work as instructor to obtain the required flight)? The main criterion of the school - the ratio of price - quality education.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Here the prospects are very poor. There are many more people going through the school programs than there are jobs. I have no idea what the situation is for qualified applicants in your part of the world. If you are currently working as an aircraft engineer, I would suggest you ask the pilots working at your airline for advice. Alternatively you could call airlines in your country and find out what the current experience level of successful new hire pilots is.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”