Foreign pilots and helicopter operators

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Foreign pilots and helicopter operators

Post by godsrcrazy »

fijdor wrote:Funny how things are, when I was looking for work at the end of the summer, (high time pilot) I sent resumes out (never got an answer back) and called a couple of companies that I thought might be in need for experience pilots, no luck there for me. About a week after talking to one of the company I saw an Ad by that same company looking for experience pilots that was put up there a couple of days earlier. I called them right away and talked to the same person I talked to the week before, I got the same answer I got a week earlier, meaning, to late in the season, no need for pilots, maybe next summer etc etc.
I said alright but you need to explain to me why you just put up an Ad looking for pilots, the answer caught me completely by surprise. here it is. "the reason why we put that up, was because it was recommended by our lawyer to justified the hiring of Foreign workers." They do have a bunch of them.

Now, I know somebody out there that knows my name and what I think about that dishonest practice.

FD

I have no idea who you are so please do not take this as a shot at you. I do know a few High time pilots that bounce around and cannot get work. Because they have thousands of hour they believe they are not replaceable. Lets just say the size of their head and their mouth continually get them in trouble.
---------- ADS -----------

Wolfhunter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wolfhunter »

godsrcrazy wrote: the size of their head and their mouth continually get them in trouble.
Really?

As you can tell, I'm an infrequent contributor to the forum, but, this situation has nothing to do with my personality or posting count. It's about training costs and what you can get away with; I don't blame the companies as much as I do government regulators. In my view, thinking that you're immune from this simply because of the "reduced size of your head" is likely to prove unprofitable.

godsrcrazy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by godsrcrazy »

Wolfhunter wrote:
godsrcrazy wrote: the size of their head and their mouth continually get them in trouble.
Really?

As you can tell, I'm an infrequent contributor to the forum, but, this situation has nothing to do with my personality or posting count. It's about training costs and what you can get away with; I don't blame the companies as much as I do government regulators. In my view, thinking that you're immune from this simply because of the "reduced size of your head" is likely to prove unprofitable.
Wolfhunte, fjdor said the reason for the add was to hire foreign pilots. I to totally disagree with this practice. However some companies prefer experienced foreign pilots not because they can pay them less. Only because they don't come with the baggage of my way or i am out of here. I know of a few pilots whom don't have a pot to pi$$ in our a window to through it out of feel they know more about how to run a company then the guy that rights the check. Ha si said at the start i don't know if fidor is one of these guys but there are several of them out there. Hence people going over seas for experienced pilots.

Wolfhunter
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Wolfhunter »

LOL, I have no where to go with that so won't even bother trying.

Gilles - sincere and warmest appreciation for all of your efforts on this issue. Thank you!

fijdor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fijdor »

When I wrote my post, the intention was to condemned, bring to light a practice that I don't agree and never agreed with, NOT to talk about my personal
life. I have been in the industry for 38 years now, a lot of people know me and I can go back to any companies I have worked for before, at least the ones still in business. It's not that many (that I worked for) by the way.

Why was I out there looking for work in the middle of August is simply because I finally got my medical back after spending some times on medical leave. Did I try to go back to where I was before of course not, they shut it down while I was on sick leave, they don't exist no more.

This company I was referring to (the one hiring TFW's), did they know me? of course they did, they knew me very, very well but the person available at the time to talk to me did not have a clue who I was and was all honest about why they were not interested in hiring.

Did I find work, of course I did and right away after that. Been working ever since.

For "godscrasy" I am not taking it as a shot at me. I do also know that some people bounce around, some by choice (nothing wrong with that) and some are forced to, either by their employers or by their own unethical behaviour/incompetence.

FD

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

Remember that a good portion of the Helicopter Industry in Canada is in favour of TFW pilots, as is the association that represents them and lobbies the government on their behalf. So anyone who sticks his neck out is going to be subject of personal attacks.

This summer expect many TFW helicopter pilots to be taking up jobs that should go to Canadians. If Canadian helicopter pilots do not fight back and just bend over, well guess what ?

Last summer, I made an access to information request from ESDC to find out about all operators who hired TFW pilots in 2012, 2013 and early 2014. I paid several hundred dollars out of my pocket to obtain it but have still not received the data, in violation of the Access to Information Act. They commited to handing me part of the data on April 24, the rest later this summer. It seems that the information I requested is several thousand pages long.

I plan to out every helicopter operator who made use of TFW pilots in 2012, 2013 and early 2014.

I will post it here when I get it.

At the airline level, we were able to have ESDC say that they would no longer allow an operator to require a particular type rating as an excuse to exclude an otherwise qualified canadian pilot and hire a foreign pilot instead. This type rating excuse seems to also be the main method Canadian operators to hire foreigners.

Guys and girls, its your country and these jobs should be yours. Even if you don't have a Super twin galaxy X -300 rating with 500 hours on type while flying backwards in Northern BC.

RichAir
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RichAir »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/815822155174969/

this new facebook group is waiting for you to join. It will help every canadian pilot to stand together to stop TFW coming to Canada when there is no need for them. Every helicopter pilot I know of will agree to say the last 2 years were poor for employment in helicopter business, but a lot of helicopter businesses still brought TFW to Canada, pretending a shortage of qualified pilots.

Canadian aircraft flown by Canadian pilots

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5853ejl2jrclm ... 4.pdf?dl=0

And here are the applications aircraft operators made for foreign pilots between Oct 2013 and May 2014.

There are a few helicopter operators in there. Please go over them and read how these operators justified needing foreign pilots over Canadian ones.

RichAir
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by RichAir »

https://secure.avaaz.org/fr/petition/Ca ... lots/?copy

Here's a link to a petition to oppose to the abuse of the TFWP.

Please sign and share.

Return to “Helicopter Forum”