Flying after RW PPL

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Flying after RW PPL

Post by JBI »

So, after only flying fixed wing in my life, I've now been fortunate enough to fly (as a passenger) two helicopter flights in the last 8 days. It was a hoot!

I have no intention of flying Rotary wing commercially - don't even fly fixed wing commercially anymore, but having helicopter training and a licence would be very helpful for my current job (whether it is $20,000 helpful remains to be seen).

Are there any schools that let you rent their machines once you have your licence? Or, are your only options to either always fly with an instructor or find a private machine to fly?

(And don't worry, I am a chicken when it comes to flying and completely realise that with only the 30 hours needed for the conversion, there are many many types of flights that would still be way beyond that experience level). Just trying to find out information.
---------- ADS -----------

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Re: Flying after RW PPL

Post by North Shore »

I was wondering if something was up after that fb post!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

North Shore wrote:I was wondering if something was up after that fb post!
It was a blast - though no actual stick time. I'm sure all helicopter flights are as glamourous as a flight over the Vegas strip and then over the North Shore Mountains on a beautiful spring day. Right? :)

In all seriousness, I've been doing a lot of helicopter related work, so learning how to fly them would be very helpful. I think the challenge would be pretty enjoyable, just not sure if it's in the budget at the moment.

ragbagflyer
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ragbagflyer »

At least if you do get the commercial license you can claim it as a tax deduction, and if you're making good money that could be a $12000 refund. Your $30000 license now costs you the same as an $18000 vacation. Unfortunately if you have a wife she will probably find it less satisfying than you.

"I don't know which is worse, ...that everyone has his price, or that the price is always so low." - Calvin (of Calvin and Hobbes)
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

JBI wrote:
It was a blast - though no actual stick time. I'm sure all helicopter flights are as glamourous as a flight over the Vegas strip and then over the North Shore Mountains on a beautiful spring day. Right? :)

In all seriousness, I've been doing a lot of helicopter related work, so learning how to fly them would be very helpful. I think the challenge would be pretty enjoyable, just not sure if it's in the budget at the moment.

You do realise that the whole thing is kept in the air by one (not so) big bolt at the top of the mast, right? :shock: Scared the crap out of me when I crawled up there to help an AME friend while he was doing a blade change...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

North Shore wrote:
JBI wrote:

You do realise that the whole thing is kept in the air by one (not so) big bolt at the top of the mast, right? :shock: Scared the crap out of me when I crawled up there to help an AME friend while he was doing a blade change...
Yeah I know! Those let go all the time!! That's got to be the #1 danger of flying helos. Yup dat jeezus nut is bad juju.

;)

JP

C-GKNT
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by C-GKNT »

JBI,

I did my fixed wing to helicopter conversion last summer :D Although a private license would have been enough for me, I decided to get the commercial license as their really isn't much difference between the respective flight tests. Most fun I have ever had...fully dressed anyway.

Interesting thing for me (from a fixed wing perceptive) was that the instructors charge dual AND solo. That's right, when solo you still pay $250/hour for the instructor. It seems to be built into their business model. Practically speaking, a solo rate doesn't appear to exist.

Sorry to ask the obvious but did you call and ask any of the schools? I would be curious to know myself.

Glenn

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

C-GKNT - Glenn thanks for the info. I haven't called any schools yet, just still looking for general info. Plus I was hoping if there was the odd school that did rent out, AvCanada posters may be able to add specifics. I'll let you know if/when I start calling school.

ragbagflyer - Thanks for the tax info! Had forgot about education credits - that makes the decision a little harder. My wife, somewhat surprisingly, is very much in favour of me taking some helicopter lessons!

North Shore - I always thought that the rotor was for show and helicopters were merely repelled by the earth because of how some of them look. Sounds like I'll have to study some more aerodynamics theory.

Anyways, it's all very tentative at the moment.

Cheers,
James

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

I'm being overwhelmed by theory. I'll see what I can dig up for you.

The 206 at least, has 5 gezuz nuts. One on the rotor and 4 holding the tailboom on.
The 206 is full of after engineering ideas. Hmmm maybe we should add this to prevent this...
And spike knock, WTF? is it bad or is it a byproduct of flight? Make up your damned mind.

Rotary wing flying is fun. I enjoy the challenge of looking ahead and and trying to hover over a specific spot. Sometime successful, others... Auto's are kicking my ass right now, since pushing forward while hurtling towards the ground is very, very foreign to me.

Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Semper Fidelis
“De inimico non loquaris male, sed cogites"-
Do not wish death for your enemy, plan it.
snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

LOL... autos are the best part!!!! 'Specially the full-on ones! :)
Cheers,
Kirsten B.

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Snoopy, this is partially your fault! After volunteering at the Girls Fly Too event and seeing the smiles on people's faces when they got back from the helicopter flights, my wife and I decided to do a helicopter tour in Vegas - I had a huge grin after it was done!

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

Sorry to hijack your thread JBI...

I think I've found the elusive "autorotate button." I did a few auto 's from hover, and Sim Engine Failure at a hover; the attitude, and collective required seemed to click.

JBI, go out to ZBB and to a fan flight. Highly worth it!

Semper Fidelis
fijdor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fijdor »

Nark wrote:I'm being overwhelmed by theory. I'll see what I can dig up for you.

The 206 at least, has 5 gezuz nuts. One on the rotor and 4 holding the tailboom on.
The 206 is full of after engineering ideas. Hmmm maybe we should add this to prevent this...
And spike knock, WTF? is it bad or is it a byproduct of flight? Make up your damned mind.

Rotary wing flying is fun. I enjoy the challenge of looking ahead and and trying to hover over a specific spot. Sometime successful, others... Auto's are kicking my ass right now, since pushing forward while hurtling towards the ground is very, very foreign to me.

Never heard the term "spike knock" do you mind explaining it, just curious.

JD

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

fijdor wrote:
Nark wrote:I'm being overwhelmed by theory. I'll see what I can dig up for you.

Never heard the term "spike knock" do you mind explaining it, just curious.

JD
Sure; it happens when the round pin of the drag pin fitting contacts the side of the square hole on the pylon stop, which is mounted to the roof. This causes a loud noise, and occurs during a rocking of the pylon."

In other words, there is a small pylon on the underside of the transmission that "floats" in a square hole cut into the roof. This allows the transmission to rock back and forth, for and aft, but has a mechanical stop. Hence the "square hole."
The book says it's not a hazardous occurrence, but may lead to one.
Happens more often during low G's (+.5), low ground run autos, extreme asymetric loading and low rotor RPM.

I'll try to find a picture, or I'll take one next time I'm at the flight line.

Semper Fidelis
fijdor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fijdor »

Ok got it now, thanks

JD

Planetman
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Planetman »

If you're looking for a helicopter to rent as a PPL or to do your licence in, then you may be in luck.
I have an Enstrom 280F that is looking for renters or even co-ownership.
The machine is located at ZBB.

Sisco
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Sisco »

Ok, I had to login. Where at ZBB could I do a fam flight? I can't find anything about helicopter training for ZBB. I have my fixed wing PPL but I'm thinking about Helicopters. I thought my only option for a fam flight was Abbotsford or Langley.

Nark
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Nark »

JBI,

Any updates to your venture?

I'd take my ride up to Van and let you have a few patterns, but I might get in a little bit of trouble.
Probably to the point of me never coming back down south...

Semper Fidelis
JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Didn't realize that this thread had continued.

As fun as the fling wing flying was, I've only been focusing on the fixed wing flying. Just made a lot more sense for a number of different reasons - though I'll probably still take a lesson or two at some point in my life (when time and finances permit...)

Return to “Helicopter Forum”