AVCANADA

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:50 pm

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 12:12 pm 
Rank 2
Rank 2

All,

I haven't posted much, but here's a bit about myself. I got my RW licence 12 years ago. Trained on a RH22 and BH06 (70/30 split IIRC, not that it matters much). Never managed to get a flying job and after a couple of years, and the need to pay off debts incurred for training, I stopped chasing the dream.

I have a degree in engineering so fell back on that and that's what I've been up to for the past 10 years. But I am itching to get back into a pilot's seat.

What would realistically have to happen for this to work?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:44 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

If you are serious, then you might get some re-current training. Nothing has changed from 12 years ago, send out lots of resumes followed by a road trip. I believe the odds are 15% will ever land a job flying helicopters....

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:20 am 
Rank 0
Rank 0

I'd say 95% of people who get their license never find work flying now days. If you enjoy a lifestyle of any sort stay engineering! 10 years in myself and the brochure in the flight school lied.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:15 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

Freck wrote:
I'd say 95% of people who get their license never find work flying now days. If you enjoy a lifestyle of any sort stay engineering! 10 years in myself and the brochure in the flight school lied.

That is one of the stupidest, most uninformed comments I've seen on this forum for a while... I know of very few people today who have been unable to find a job in aviation. In years gone by, when the industry tanked (2008ish period) this was certainly an issue. A lot of people who had already accumulated some good time got laid off an couldn't find work, and good luck to those poor buggers who just got the CPL stamped. Today if people put in the effort, make connections and aren't afraid to move they have a great chance of getting a job. Don't expect to jump straight into something shiny and quick, you may have to do a stint instructing or some place you'd consider less than desirable to get that initial time.

Have you considered flying recreationally for a while? Or do you want to get fully into commercial flying? My guess would be the first few years of aviation would come at the cost of a pay cut for someone like yourself.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 9:59 am 
Rank 2
Rank 2

As far as I know, only one person I knew from flight school ever flew for a living, in fact he's with the flight school doing a bit of everything. From what I recall, he was already financially taken care of, so he could do whatever he wanted.

Now, there are two things in play that I can see. Temporary foreign workers (see the other posts on this), and down the line, drones. The TFW program is already affecting the industry but drones could be the ultimate game changer. It's been mentioned already in another post, but they've already taken over agricultural spraying in Japan.

Fly recreationally? Yeah right, pull the other one. Way too expensive for a hobby. Even the kit helicopters cost a small fortune. Money will go further by joining a glider/sailplane club. No, it's not the same thing, but it sure is cool.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:20 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

PointyEngine doesn't have a clue about the helicopter industry, your assumptions are correct Legacy14.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:30 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Best thing to do is go and talk to a flight school for the legal side of it, meaning returning after 10 years. I am assuming your medical is expired, you will need a class 1 for your commercial heli pilot, also after more than 5 years without flying you will have to rewrite your exams and do a flight test. You can get the school to confirm all this but that's pretty close to it.
Then after all that, well back on the road looking for work. For an old timer like me, I believe it's a shame to see young man/women investing lots of energy/time/money in this industry and not finding work but some do and some don't.
Good luck to you

JD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:27 am 
Rank 2
Rank 2

Thanks for the info fijdor. It's been so long so I didn't remember all the recency requirements. I vaguely remembered about the 1 year requirements but beyond that it was just too foggy. I haven't moved on this, as I am pursuing the ATC side of things at the moment. I figured getting back into the flying side was going to cost money, and I'm not keen on throwing more money at something which has little chance of working out. A lot of my friends told me to think of it (going through flight school) as my post-grad backpacking trip around Europe. At $51k all in that's some expensive backpacking :shock: