Getting back into it after long hiatus?

This forum has been developed to discuss helicopter related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Legacy14
Rank 2
Rank 2

Getting back into it after long hiatus?

Post by Legacy14 »

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Legacy14 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
All Sides
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Getting back into it after long hiatus?

Post by All Sides »

If you are serious, then you might get some re-current training. Nothing has changed from 12 years ago, send out lots of resumes followed by a road trip. I believe the odds are 15% will ever land a job flying helicopters....

Freck
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Freck »

I'd say 95% of people who get their license never find work flying now days. If you enjoy a lifestyle of any sort stay engineering! 10 years in myself and the brochure in the flight school lied.

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

Freck wrote:I'd say 95% of people who get their license never find work flying now days. If you enjoy a lifestyle of any sort stay engineering! 10 years in myself and the brochure in the flight school lied.
That is one of the stupidest, most uninformed comments I've seen on this forum for a while... I know of very few people today who have been unable to find a job in aviation. In years gone by, when the industry tanked (2008ish period) this was certainly an issue. A lot of people who had already accumulated some good time got laid off an couldn't find work, and good luck to those poor buggers who just got the CPL stamped. Today if people put in the effort, make connections and aren't afraid to move they have a great chance of getting a job. Don't expect to jump straight into something shiny and quick, you may have to do a stint instructing or some place you'd consider less than desirable to get that initial time.

Have you considered flying recreationally for a while? Or do you want to get fully into commercial flying? My guess would be the first few years of aviation would come at the cost of a pay cut for someone like yourself.

Legacy14
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Legacy14 »

Last edited by Legacy14 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
All Sides
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by All Sides »

PointyEngine doesn't have a clue about the helicopter industry, your assumptions are correct Legacy14.

fijdor
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by fijdor »

Best thing to do is go and talk to a flight school for the legal side of it, meaning returning after 10 years. I am assuming your medical is expired, you will need a class 1 for your commercial heli pilot, also after more than 5 years without flying you will have to rewrite your exams and do a flight test. You can get the school to confirm all this but that's pretty close to it.
Then after all that, well back on the road looking for work. For an old timer like me, I believe it's a shame to see young man/women investing lots of energy/time/money in this industry and not finding work but some do and some don't.
Good luck to you

JD

Legacy14
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Legacy14 »

Return to “Helicopter Forum”