My forced landings need working on!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related videos and photos.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

astroguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

My forced landings need working on!

Post by astroguy »

My forced landings need working on! Video link below.
I am flying an Ikarus c 42 LSA and at 42 hours logged total.... I need my forced landings to be improved.
I am starting them from a low altitute of 1,200 feet and am finding that I'm coming short most of the time.
Any tips for me?
Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0jTVvtwoLI
---------- ADS -----------

jschnurr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: My forced landings need working on!

Post by jschnurr »

1200 AGL is not very high. I think the standard for training and practice is from 3000'.

If you are going to start from 1200, think of how far away the threshold is when you are on downwind. If your circuit is done properly, you should be able to glide to landing... so that is how close your field should be if you practice forced approaches from that altitude.

Are you licenced or still a student? What does your instructor say?

astroguy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by astroguy »

jschnurr wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:27 am 1200 AGL is not very high. I think the standard for training and practice is from 3000'.

If you are going to start from 1200, think of how far away the threshold is when you are on downwind. If your circuit is done properly, you should be able to glide to landing... so that is how close your field should be if you practice forced approaches from that altitude.

Are you licenced or still a student? What does your instructor say?
Thanks for taking the time to respond...
I am ULPP licenced now.... and am looking to get my PAX rating. I fly a LSA and have 44 hours now. Total newbie but have't done forced landings in a while.
I figured that starting at 1300 ft would more represent an approach to land at my local airport but as you state... most other forum responses are to start from 3000ft and get good at that then work my way to lower altitudes.
This is one part of my training that I've saddly and dangerously take a back seat to my cross country solos and such I suppose but I think I"m going to do just that... my next few hours will be dedicated to working my way from 3000 ft forced landings... get good at that then 2500 ft and so on. I really am going to take this to heart and will put in more hours just on forced landings.
Thanks
Dave

CaptainKirk
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CaptainKirk »

All the best. Keep at it you will get better. :D

aviatornation
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by aviatornation »

Forced landing are terribly hard on the body, this guy is doing touch and go while helping ATC find a plane with NO COMMS!! It's intense but I cant stop watching. He's flying a Cirrus SR22

Return to “Aviation Videos & Photos”