West coast pics

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related videos and photos.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

West coast pics

Post by CpnCrunch »

I've been meaning to post some of these for a while, and now seems to be a good time to remember what summer is like. All taken on a Galaxy Note GT-N7000 and scaled down when uploading to be a reasonable size.

Nanaimo Harbour:

Active Pass:

Crossing the strait of Georgia:

Port Alberni:

Strait of Georgia covered in low cloud/fog:

Texada Gillies Bay:

Somewhere in the Gulf Islands, perhaps Lasqueti:

Barclay Sound:

Long Beach, Tofino:

---------- ADS -----------

delta1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: West coast pics

Post by delta1 »

Amazing photos! Thanks for sharing!

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

I meant to post thank you also. So thanks.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Mount Robie Reid, just northeast of Maple Ridge, BC.
Mt. Robie Reid
Mt. Robie Reid
IMG_20141214_144913_2.jpg (425.42 KiB) Viewed 9291 times

single_swine_herder
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by single_swine_herder »

Funny how things stick with you .... its been over 3 decades since I flew over Active Pass in a Beaver, but I recognized it instantly.

It was rare to fly over the pass at the altitude of the picture though ....... all too often, especially in winter .... it was flying at 50 feet off the water in a 1/4 mile vis in fog & drizzle, rounding the corner and finding two ferries side by side in the pass with a Twin Otter also at 50 feet coming the other way on the other side in a tie for space with the ships ....... and everybody thinking it was just great VFR weather.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

single_swine_herder wrote:Funny how things stick with you .... its been over 3 decades since I flew over Active Pass in a Beaver, but I recognized it instantly.

It was rare to fly over the pass at the altitude of the picture though ....... all too often, especially in winter .... it was flying at 50 feet off the water in a 1/4 mile vis in fog & drizzle, rounding the corner and finding two ferries side by side in the pass with a Twin Otter also at 50 feet coming the other way on the other side in a tie for space with the ships ....... and everybody thinking it was just great VFR weather.
All of those pics are from summer. We seem to have two seasons here...unbroken sunshine in summer, unbroken lowish cloud and drizzle in winter, with a little bit of variation in the spring and autumn. In winter I just do occasional flying on the odd nice day.

Anyway, I think things might have changed since you flew here...now Harbour Air seems to actually cancel their flights if the weather is silly. However you do sometimes see the private/charter operators flying in conditions like you mention. Once in a while they don't get away with it, and we read about it the accidents thread here.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

AirFrame wrote:Mount Robie Reid, just northeast of Maple Ridge, BC.
Great pic, thanks. I'll have to go out that way next summer.

FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FenderManDan »

Amazing views, I ask myself often what I am doing in Ontario. Perhaps, I am just too used to Southern Ontario farms or forests of the Northern Not, but can't find a single interesting photo.

Thanks for sharing

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Last edited by TeePeeCreeper on Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taiser
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Taiser »

Awesome photos!!! WOW!

16SidedOffice
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by 16SidedOffice »

Great photos! Thanks so much for sharing them!

CRS Oakville
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CRS Oakville »

Incredible view. How not to take a picture? That someone told me that the view is like this, I would beliave him.

ewhitten
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ewhitten »

These photos are gorgeous, I didn't feel dizzy looking down at all.

doan_1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by doan_1 »

I grew went to elementary on Galiano, Highschool in Ucluelet, and live in Victoria. My one non-training related X-Country flight was YYJ to YAZ, my victory lap after gaining my PPL. I love living in this area and really want to work around here with my CPL one day. Thanks for sharing!

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

doan_1 wrote:I grew went to elementary on Galiano, Highschool in Ucluelet, and live in Victoria. My one non-training related X-Country flight was YYJ to YAZ, my victory lap after gaining my PPL. I love living in this area and really want to work around here with my CPL one day. Thanks for sharing!
I just got back from another flight to YAZ today (I'll post some more pics soon). Yes, it's an amazing place to fly when the fog and low cloud has lifted! Right now the restaurant there is closed indefinitely, which is a shame. There's a couple of scheduled services from YVR, so if you finish your CPL you could end up flying there.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

I've got to make it out there sometime. The last time I was in YAZ, it was getting an airplane to haul back (it seems like every plane I get is from the Island. :rolleyes: )

I went to Port Hardy for my 300NM cross country via Nanaimo and Courtney, but never made it out to Tiffy. The beach at Vargas is definitely on the bucket list.

Photos are all in shoeboxes... it was the twilight of my 35mm days (bought my first digi cam that fall).

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
doan_1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by doan_1 »

CpnCrunch wrote:
doan_1 wrote:I grew went to elementary on Galiano, Highschool in Ucluelet, and live in Victoria. My one non-training related X-Country flight was YYJ to YAZ, my victory lap after gaining my PPL. I love living in this area and really want to work around here with my CPL one day. Thanks for sharing!
I just got back from another flight to YAZ today (I'll post some more pics soon). Yes, it's an amazing place to fly when the fog and low cloud has lifted! Right now the restaurant there is closed indefinitely, which is a shame. There's a couple of scheduled services from YVR, so if you finish your CPL you could end up flying there.

If I could fly out around there for a living I would be happy as a clam. Tofino Air, Wild West Coast Adventures, or something like that. On the bad days I'd just grab an old high school chum and go fishing on Kennedy.

doan_1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by doan_1 »

I hope I'm not stealing the thread, but wanted to share mine from the victory lap flight. I was going to post the photos, but they were not uploading. Here is a google drive link instead. Little brother doesn't like flying, and 4th last pic is a photo of the house (sort of) that I grew up in. Just on the bottom edge of the clearing above the wheel, though the clearing wasn't that big when I was there.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

doan_1 wrote:I hope I'm not stealing the thread, but wanted to share mine from the victory lap flight. I was going to post the photos, but they were not uploading. Here is a google drive link instead. Little brother doesn't like flying, and 4th last pic is a photo of the house (sort of) that I grew up in. Just on the bottom edge of the clearing above the wheel, though the clearing wasn't that big when I was there.

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing
Feel free to post your photos here. I just tried posting links to your images, but it doesn't seem to be possible. It looks like google drive doesn't have any way of directly linking to the image.

Really good pics. What kind of camera is that?

doan_1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by doan_1 »

It was just taken with my HTC One M7 phone. Only 4MP cam, but it did much better than I thought it would. Once I finish paying for my CPL I'll invest in a real DSLR.

Return to “Aviation Videos & Photos”