Flying to honor vets - WarBird checkout video series part 1!

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related videos and photos.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

Schteevie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Flying to honor vets - WarBird checkout video series part 1!

Post by Schteevie »

I hope you enjoy riding along in the Chipmunk as much as I did.

http://youtu.be/ZE8d3ChFuAM
---------- ADS -----------

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Flying to honor vets - WarBird checkout video series par

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Looks like a metric tonne of fun.

This thread is quiet.. Maybe too quiet.. In b 4 bellyaching?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

For the Chipmunk....it is almost like you think of being at a certain attitude and somehow you are magically there as it is so light on the controls. That steep turn they did is held in place with one finger easily pulling on the control column. Taxiing requires some planning, especially if you try to do it as much as possible without the handbrake for the challenge of it.

I would always be cautious of getting into the mindset that carb heat is not to be used on the aircraft, It may come back to bite you some day.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Though it was not mentioned I suspect they used it. They just made a point to state they did not check it during the run up. Schtephan, comment/clarification?

I'm getting jelly here, maybe I never should have got this job with the strict no facial hair policy.

cgzro
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cgzro »

Chipmunk is a delightful little airplane. Probably one of the easiest tail draggers out there. The wide wing mounted gear makes take offs and landings a breeze. Much easier than the other BCATP trainers. It also rolls beautifully and has almost aerobatic feeling ailerons. The vis is spectacular in that bubble canopy. Only things I dont like about them are the the brake handle / asymetric brake to rudder coupling and the copious quantities of oil they fling everywhere which necessitates an hour of cleanup after every flight.

i can see why people modified them with lycoming 540s and cleveland brakes to create the super chipmunk, that must have been a very nice plane indeed.

Schteevie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Schteevie »

Pop n Fresh wrote:Though it was not mentioned I suspect they used it. They just made a point to state they did not check it during the run up. Schtephan, comment/clarification?

I'm getting jelly here, maybe I never should have got this job with the strict no facial hair policy.

I had to google "getting jelly"...
Never heard it before, and this particular video inspired like 3 people to use it :P

Anyway - Yes, they will use the carb heat if required - they simply don't test it.
Dave, the chippy pilot answered a few comments under the video on YouTube regarding the details around the carb heat directive.
Here's the main one: (but a few others asked and he added some additional info under some other comments):
___
Thanks for the shout-out. Our retired RCAF Lt. Col. chief pilot mandated the non-use (unless required!) carb heat due to an issue of the carb heat staying on despite being turned off. We spoke with many organizations that run Chipmunks and have experienced the issue and mandated the same flight directive. None of our chipmunks have ever experienced any carb ice at all, ever, and we fly them year round. 
___

As for this thread being "too quiet" - funny that.
But since you asked...

I actually didn't come back after making the simple and innocuous post announcing my relaunch and new trailer for "Flight Chops" on August 1st.
But I expected to hear from my good friend who thought calling me "pork chop"s was witty, and I chose not to even log in after posting it.

But upon logging in to post this new video the other day (months later) I saw that I had a PM from shortly after August 1st - it was from a friendly pilot wanting to let me know how much he appreciated the videos and that he didn't want to comment in the main thread which had spiraled into a negative black hole. I looked for it to enjoy the ridiculousness, but it was deleted. the whole tread. Really? my first post was warm and positive about the love of sharing aviation with humility and enthusiasm. I don't doubt that our favorite douche bag found a way to spin that into a negative, but I do find it surprising that "moderators" allowed it to get so stupid that they had to delete the entire thread - what kind of moderating is that? It's why I am not a regular here. The DB in question previously revealed himself to be a homophobic bully using hyperbolic school yard language in his overtly threatening posts. It was insane, and inspired me to write an open letter to the community in July (I never replied directly to him) - That entire thread was also deleted after it spiraled into absolute stupidity (with out my further involvement after the initial post which was completely positive and constructive. )

EDIT: here's a link to that letter - I'd also posted it on reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comments ... _aviation/

So whatev - upon doing some quick research last night, it seems "Colonel Sanders" (in case any one here actually doesn't know who I'm talking about) has since been banned. I imagine I played some small role in that and I'm happy to have been a part of it, but am also surprised and disappointed he was allowed to reign supreme douche bag for so long, on Canada's biggest aviation forum.
Anyway... I'll poke around a bit to see if things get any brighter around here, but it's been pretty bad for a long time, so I'm not holding out hope... for instance, yesterday on page one, there was a thread titled something like "I HATE ULTRALIGHTS" - so as much as there may have been valid points in the post, I didn't even open it - that's the sort of nonconstructive overtly opinionated tone that I don't have time / energy for.

end of rant, keep your flight chops sharp :)

Last edited by Schteevie on Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Schteevie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Schteevie »

cgzro wrote:Chipmunk is a delightful little airplane. Probably one of the easiest tail draggers out there. The wide wing mounted gear makes take offs and landings a breeze. Much easier than the other BCATP trainers. It also rolls beautifully and has almost aerobatic feeling ailerons. The vis is spectacular in that bubble canopy. Only things I dont like about them are the the brake handle / asymetric brake to rudder coupling and the copious quantities of oil they fling everywhere which necessitates an hour of cleanup after every flight.

i can see why people modified them with lycoming 540s and cleveland brakes to create the super chipmunk, that must have been a very nice plane indeed.
Thanks for this great comment - I agree that the super chipmunk must be a blast to fly! I'd love to find one to try!

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Well, I suppose your rebuttal is fair and I won't fully defend Hedy Lamarr, he certainly was being a catty bitch. You should have chose the high road. Say la V-12/harrumph I guess.

Keep on having fun.

Schteevie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Schteevie »

Pop n Fresh wrote:Well, I suppose your rebuttal is fair and I won't fully defend Hedy Lamarr, he certainly was being a catty bitch. You should have chose the high road. Say la V-12/harrumph I guess.

Keep on having fun.
Heh, yeah... But you did kinda ask for me to rebut ;)

And in my defense, It's been months, and this is the first I've said about it.
And it's the last once of energy I'll put into thinking about it.
So maybe it's not the "high road" - but it's certainly not a low road either :)

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Schteevie wrote:
Heh, yeah... But you did kinda ask for me to rebut ;)
In that case, you need to bring by the go pros and as much cash next weekend as you can borrow so we can hang out in Vegas and go flying around the Grand Canyon.

Trust me the footage will be pretty rockin!
:rock: :partyman: :vom: :smt071 :smt063 :smt075 :drink: :smt119 :radioactive:
Possibility of it being viral super high.

The finished video might even go viral.

Schteevie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Schteevie »

Pop n Fresh wrote: :rock: :partyman: :vom: :smt071 :smt063 :smt075 :drink: :smt119 :radioactive:
I love the narrative that carefully constructed choice of smilies play out! Awesome.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Excellent. What time should I be ready? Should I alert my employer not to expect me on Monday?

Moose47
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Moose47 »

G'day

I was at RCAF Station Centralia when the first Chippies arrived in 1956 from RCAF Station Claresholm. NATO pilot training was near its peak at the time in Centralia. While I was there (54-57) we had 159 Harvard Mk. 4's, 29 Expeditors and 6 Dakotas. During the night you would invariably hear the Harvards and Expeditors being run up by the techies getting them ready for the day's flying. Nothing nicer to have the silence of the night being broken by the sound of a Harvard being cycled through course and fine pitch. It was music to my ears. After the Harvards had finally left for Moose Jaw and Penhold, it got a whole lot quieter with the Chipmunks.

The Chipmunk Mk. 1 (3 aircraft) first entered service with the RCAF on the 1st of April 1948. They were struck off strength on the 6th of May 1959.

The Chipmunk Mk. 2 (97 aircraft) were taken on strength with the RCAF on the 13th of March 1953. They were retired from military service in 1971.

Cheers...Chris

Schteevie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Schteevie »

Moose47 wrote:G'day

I was at RCAF Station Centralia when the first Chippies arrived in 1956 from RCAF Station Claresholm. NATO pilot training was near its peak at the time in Centralia. While I was there (54-57) we had 159 Harvard Mk. 4's, 29 Expeditors and 6 Dakotas. During the night you would invariably hear the Harvards and Expeditors being run up by the techies getting them ready for the day's flying. Nothing nicer to have the silence of the night being broken by the sound of a Harvard being cycled through course and fine pitch. It was music to my ears. After the Harvards had finally left for Moose Jaw and Penhold, it got a whole lot quieter with the Chipmunks.

The Chipmunk Mk. 1 (3 aircraft) first entered service with the RCAF on the 1st of April 1948. They were struck off strength on the 6th of May 1959.

The Chipmunk Mk. 2 (97 aircraft) were taken on strength with the RCAF on the 13th of March 1953. They were retired from military service in 1971.

Cheers...Chris
Sounds like it was the time of your life! What a rush! Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Aviation Videos & Photos”