AC interview or upgrade

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

domino
Rank 1
Rank 1

AC interview or upgrade

Post by domino »

How will the interview at AC go for all the FO's that got hired on with jazz right out of college with 250 hours and no MPIC? I assume most of them would have rented a 150 on the side to get their atpl requirements and have the licence by the time the AC interview comes up but will not having any MPIC and just the bare minimum pic for the atpl affect their chances at AC or even an upgrade at Jazz?
---------- ADS -----------

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: AC interview or upgrade

Post by Oxi »

They will have flown at Jazz for sometime before going to AC. A pilot could fly any plane on the side for PIC time or utilize PICUS with an LTC while on the line. They will upgrade at Jazz with 1 hour of multi pic or 10,000 as long as their seniority number allows them to hold it.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

domino wrote:How will the interview at AC go for all the FO's that got hired on with jazz right out of college with 250 hours and no MPIC? I assume most of them would have rented a 150 on the side to get their atpl requirements and have the licence by the time the AC interview comes up but will not having any MPIC and just the bare minimum pic for the atpl affect their chances at AC or even an upgrade at Jazz?
MPIC is nice, and definitely builds command skills. But far too often only at the level at which the MPIC was obtained. Cause if MPIC (irrespective of source) was the sole reason someone should ever hold 4 bars, then why did 3 captain's with loads of MPIC experience a demotion at my past employer? They didn't have the skill set to transition all that King Air, Jetstream, and twin otter mpic into a 705 captain role. Of all the F/O's that were command assessed and upgraded on their own type however, transitioned into the left seat with much more ease than ANY DEC I ever had the pleasure of flying with. Food for thought. 8) :shock:

I'd like to think an F/O at Jazz who joined as a low timer will have seen their fair share of good and bad experiences to help ease the transition to the left seat when the time comes. Let's not forget that while the F/O doesn't necessarily bare the responsibility of the Captain, it's the best seat to often observe, learn, and be a part of the decision making process of the most valuable experiences. Experiences that should make you a good captain irrespective the MPIC column in your logbook. A keener will take away the good and the bad and will have their command abilities built on from the day they start. Hopefully with a bit of luck they are fortunate enough to fly with solid captain's that help solidify an F/O's upcoming promotion. Let's not forget that fo's are called "Captain's in Training" for a reason.

I do however think that a 703/704 Captain deserves a 705 First Officer role with a quick-to-command scheme laid out for them. Exactly what Enerjet does. They hire Air Taxi/Commuter captain's, fly them in right seat for a year, then they take what they know, add it to things they don't know, and turn out being really competent skippers. Look how well this is also working for Encore, now that they aren't just sticking 3000 hour metro captain's straight into the left seat of a Q400 on the sole assumption that their 704 mpic will translate into a competent 705 captain.

This is the reason why I feel scheme's like contrails are a hoax and are hanging a lot of very qualified F/O's to dry cause they simply can't upgrade on paper. But don't you worry, MPIC is the solution for the left seat and is the reason AC should never hire Jazz low timer's. What about my friends who got hired straight from Instructing or Flying 206's/208's/210's around VFR that are probably close to their wide body command courses at Rouge? They have no mpic either. How about all the pilot's that were hired at AC during the 70's hiring spree that were basically taken straight out of school? They are now flying you to places all around the world. Pretty sure the lack-of mpic had nothing to do with why they're still alive and about to retire.

Sorry, I'm a bit passionate about this topic. :lol: Don't take it personally - it just seems like you have fallen for the common trap that many fall for - of thinking mpic is the end-all-be-all of experience. It's certainly nice, but it actually works better when you promote someone based on ability/attitude, and not hours in any specific logbook column. 8) What's that saying again? "Hours are quantitative, Experience is qualitative." That is experience irrespective of which seat.

Of course all the above is just my 2 cents. You don't have to agree with my opinion. Maybe I'll be proven wrong one day.

BverLuver
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BverLuver »

Loopa,

Do you speak in full set monologues for entire flights too or just on avcanada? Wow!

BL

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

I know. Can you imagine flying with Loopa? Probably drones on and on and on......
:vom: :vom:

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

atphat wrote:I know. Can you imagine flying with Loopa? Probably drones on and on and on......
:vom: :vom:
Yea, you've like totally got it figured out bro. :lol: I'll keep my opinions of you off a public forum - I think you deserve more respect than that.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”