Up Coming Interview

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Up Coming Interview

Post by KenoraPilot »

Hey,

I have an upcoming interview in 2 weeks and was just wondering about the SIM EVAL. (Mind you have to pass the interview first but still) Is the SIM EVAL in YYZ or YVR? I am in YYC. Also is it on the DHC8 Classic or Q400?

Cheers
KP
---------- ADS -----------

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Up Coming Interview

Post by awitzke »

Sim eval could be at YVR or YYZ (IIRC). If you're in YYC, you will likely go to YVR. Last few guys I know who went through flew the Classic.

Vanguard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Vanguard »

Two Sim Evals now. One static and One full motion offered at YYZ/YVR for full motion and static is YMX and I beleive YYC

Don't worry about Q400 or Classic. It doesn't matter.

Rides are pretty standard. Know your own procedures well and IFR and it should be quite simple.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

I only ask as I haven't flown a turbo prop in almost 10 years and last time I saw an NDB or something on dials was 10 years ago....feeling the rust and a bit of nervous energy! :S

atmosphere
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atmosphere »

KenoraPilot, the SIM Eval is pretty straight forward, almost a standard IFR ride. They hand you a sheet with specific company SOP's and aircraft speeds and power settings. They give you 45 minutes to review them and then you hop into the sim.

You get to pick the seat you're most comfortable in. They'll ask you to give them a T/O briefing and just use your company one. Then off you go, into the air, no autopilot.

They don't care if you've ever flown a Dash 8 or not. They are looking to see if your flying skills are good, if your IFR is good, whether you're "trainable" or not and if overall you're a good person to work with on a 4 day pairing. Review your IFR procedures, including holds, and remember, you're not flying single pilot, use the other pilot, work as a team, use your CRM skills.

Good luck!

"It's good to learn from your mistakes. It's better to learn from other people's mistakes." - Warren Buffet
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Cheers, Much appreciated on the advice!

Ok....first step! Don't blow the interview portion! :p

atmosphere
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by atmosphere »

KenoraPilot wrote:Cheers, Much appreciated on the advice!

Ok....first step! Don't blow the interview portion! :p
Yes, get passed that first.

"It's good to learn from your mistakes. It's better to learn from other people's mistakes." - Warren Buffet
andy_mtl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by andy_mtl »

Congrats on the interview.
A little suggestion, dont go memorizing the interview questions.
On day 2 of traying the hr girl was mentioning just that. How pilots overdoit on the interview.

Its just behavioural questions and company knowledge.
Review that and you ll be great.

About the sim eval.
I was in similar shoes than you. I never actually flew relying on an adf. But somehow flying it easier than sitting and thinking about it.

All the best !

Andy

awitzke
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by awitzke »

Vanguard wrote:Two Sim Evals now. One static and One full motion offered at YYZ/YVR for full motion and static is YMX and I beleive YYC

Don't worry about Q400 or Classic. It doesn't matter.

Rides are pretty standard. Know your own procedures well and IFR and it should be quite simple.
There was two sims for a while, but it was only a few groups that did it. From what I understand it was not to move towards a two sim process. They wanted to run the same people through both sims to see how the final result compared. The thought was (again, second hand information) that if the non motion sim ended with the same result as the full motion they were going to transition to one sim, non motion due to the lower cost and freeing up the "D" sim for training. Unsure if they are still putting applicants through two sims. There were groups in November that did two, and also groups that only did one.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

The sim eval is super straightforward. Show up, be positive, review what they tell you to in the 45 mins prior as mentioned. Pick a seat and basically fly a standard ride, steep turns, a hold, an engine failure, a precision and non precision approach. As mentioned they're looking for crm skills, trainability and attitude. I can tell you this much, the sim is super pitch sensitive. Slow your hands!! Also, its a giant rudder...

I was in Andys class and can confirm those comments. They will send you an interview prep pdf file. Read it and answer the questions in the format they ask and all will be well! There isn't a need to script it or prep too much. They figure it out pretty quick when you do :)

After that there is a 'medical'. Your reference checks and a criminal background check.

The process seems to range from two months to six months..

*edit* whoops! seems atmosphere covered most of that already

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by iamnomaverick »

PM me your email, I have a few files regarding interview and sim eval you will find helpful. Good luck!

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Well got the SIM Eval, now one last question. What do you wear to a SIM Eval? I'm assuming not a full suit and tie? Since I am just flying in for the day.

Cheers
KP

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

KenoraPilot wrote:Well got the SIM Eval, now one last question. What do you wear to a SIM Eval? I'm assuming not a full suit and tie? Since I am just flying in for the day.

Cheers
KP
I wore a suit and tie, as did the guy before me and the guy after. Congrats on the sim evaluation!

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I was shirt and tie.. no suit jacket. Was told business casual is fine... but theres no such thing as overdressed :wink:

Good luck!

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

Rowdy wrote:I was shirt and tie.. no suit jacket. Was told business casual is fine... but theres no such thing as overdressed :wink:

Good luck!
Oscar Wilde speakathe the truthe! When was the last time you said no to a man in a suit?

never mind. this completely came out wrong.

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tipsails »

Rowdy wrote:I was shirt and tie.. no suit jacket. Was told business casual is fine... but theres no such thing as overdressed :wink:

Good luck!
As I'm sure many pilots applying at Jazz are coming from 703 with low pay, many might not have a suit. I don't think I've worn a full on suit nor had a need for one in 5+ years. If I were to get an interview there I'd stick with my biz casual. Nicely put together tailored shirt/pants/tie/belt/shoes can look better than an ill fitted suit anyways.

andy_mtl
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by andy_mtl »

You can buy a fitted suit on special for under 100$
No excuses on not dressing the part in my opinion

But then to each its own.

Andy

NickyNick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by NickyNick »

andy_mtl wrote:You can buy a fitted suit on special for under 100$

Andy

Wasting money on a suit for a one time thing makes no sense. DIdn't your parents bring you up to value a dollar and not waste? Must be like most of the world, put er on credit card.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

NickyNick wrote:
andy_mtl wrote:You can buy a fitted suit on special for under 100$

Andy

Wasting money on a suit for a one time thing makes no sense. DIdn't your parents bring you up to value a dollar and not waste? Must be like most of the world, put er on credit card.

A suit can come in handy for more than just an interview...I wouldn't just call it a one time thing...

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

You might be surprised at the value of dressing in a suit for any of your employment appointments/sim evals at Jazz. Professional dress is not mandatory, but listen to andy_mtl would be my advice.
And I might know what I'm talking about :wink:

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”