New CPA and flowthrough to Air Canada?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Brick Head
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: New CPA and flowthrough to Air Canada?

Post by Brick Head »

I wouldn't call it a race to the bottom. I would call it full circle or perhaps return to where we started.

I was hired at Air BC in 1989 as a -8 FO. I made just under $1500/ month to start. 18K/year. Even with inflation that is less than 30k/year in today's dollars. At the time my wife made $12/hour working the cash register at HBC. Full time about 23k/year.

My point? This isn't new. What was happening then to drive down wages. Air Canada and Canadian were starting new regionals all across the country. No unions. The companies set wages low and almost no long serving employees. The one exception being Air Ontario.

What is happening now? Exactly the same thing.

What I realized back in the 1990's is that if you don't work for the company holding the purse strings? You're at far greater risk than the employees that do.

Not much has changed IMO.
---------- ADS -----------

dukepoint
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by dukepoint »

So, as far as I know, today's the deadline for "the list".

Who on AvCanada's coming over to the best party in Aviation??? You'll be glad you got on the "list without limits".

The forum will look different from here. :)

DP.

....anyone know what the "demographic" is in general??? I'm looking forward to flying / catching up with old buddies. They were, and likely still are a class act.

AllClutch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AllClutch »

The list closes tomorrow at 6 pm et.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

dukepoint wrote:So, as far as I know, today's the deadline for "the list".

....anyone know what the "demographic" is in general???
No one knows. All will be revealed tomorrow.
Maybe ...

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

loopa wrote:This new Jazz symphony acts as an added reason for why I think Encore will succeed as well. Because if it's been a good experience travelling on AC regionals, it's been on Jazz. So you guys have been the one saving AC's image while the SKY's/EVAS/GGN's have damaged it on a regional scale.

What?! Now where did you find the shovel you used to dig this kind of crap up? Jazz has been saving AC's regional image and SKY/GGN/EVAS are damaging it? How so? This is by far one of the most ridiculous statements.That statement should also be extremely insulting to the pilots and crews of those 'damaging ' regional carriers. I'm sure they work very hard to maintain a professional image just like any other pilot. Hell the 1900 guys have it tougher with no FA!! Who are you to call them image damagers?

Look at you on your pedestal. Careful, it might break one day.

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

Because if it's been a good experience travelling on AC regionals, it's been on Jazz.
Yeah right, people just love flying on beat up RJ's and Dash 8 100's. I'm pretty sure people prefer the Embraer 175.

How many passengers actually have a clue what company is operating the plane? Not too many.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

Loopy,

As a Jazz guy we deadhead regularly on mainline and most of the Express carriers.
All equally good service.

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

Loopa, I think you will find that some of the best service in the Canadian airline industry is on Sky Regional's Toronto Island flying.

And their pilots will soon be the best paid Q400 drivers in the country - for the first 6 years anyway. That is, if this new Jazz TA doesn't give SKV management a reason to lower the rate. Bravo guys.

PROC_HDG

Mig29
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Mig29 »

PROC_HDG wrote:Loopa, I think you will find that some of the best service in the Canadian airline industry is on Sky Regional's Toronto Island flying.

And their pilots will soon be the best paid Q400 drivers in the country - for the first 6 years anyway. That is, if this new Jazz TA doesn't give SKV management a reason to lower the rate. Bravo guys.

PROC_HDG
:rolleyes:

Splash
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Splash »

PROC_HDG wrote:Loopa, I think you will find that some of the best service in the Canadian airline industry is on Sky Regional's Toronto Island flying.

PROC_HDG
That may be very temporary.

http://business.financialpost.com/2015/ ... d-airport/

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

Splash wrote: That may be very temporary.

http://business.financialpost.com/2015/ ... d-airport/
A sly political move from AC; They are not leaving YTZ any time soon.

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

Mig29 wrote:
:rolleyes:
Mig, can you explain what about my statement is wrong? Are you suggesting this isn't true?

PROC_HDG

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

I'll tell you, I can't speak to your island service but the second part of your statement is first of all wrong and secondly hypocritical. Sky is the main reason we had to(no choice) agree to lower pay for new hires, so Bravo SKV pilots!
Only new hire pilots will be making less, assuming any accept those wages, but the past shows that won't be a problem. I'll say this though most new hires will likely be on the Dash classic, so no you won't be the highest paid Q pilots

PROC_HDG
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PROC_HDG »

mbav8r wrote:I'll tell you, I can't speak to your island service but the second part of your statement is first of all wrong and secondly hypocritical. Sky is the main reason we had to(no choice) agree to lower pay for new hires, so Bravo SKV pilots!
Only new hire pilots will be making less, assuming any accept those wages, but the past shows that won't be a problem. I'll say this though most new hires will likely be on the Dash classic, so no you won't be the highest paid Q pilots
You're right, regionals suck. SKV et al are in part to blame for the race to the bottom, but don't tell me SKV is the main reason. You can blame ACPA and AC management to an equal degree. I wish regionals didn't exist. I wish every legacy carrier's labour group in recent history hadn't accepted concessionary scope agreements, and anything over 19 seats was a mainline airplane. I wish we all worked at mainline. But that being said, any time ANY airline lowers their entry level pay, the industry suffers in the long run. Jazz has a fantastic group of professionals but if they vote this in it will be a blow to everyone.

Please reference This Thread for the latest pay at SKV. The long and the short of it is that this "main reason for lower pay" airline has better pay in the first years to the tune of $10,000 more than Jazz as per the rumoured B-scale rates of this new TA. Add RRSP, profit incentive, per diem, full benes etc on top of that (yes, they have those at SKV despite what avcanada would have you believe).

Regionals all suck ass. The existence of the regional model is the result of the many failures of not-so-organized labour in our industry, the latest of which is Jazz, this so-called bastion of good WAWCON, voting in a sub $40/hr b-scale.

At the end of the day we're all on the same team here.

PROC_HDG

emmasuzy
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by emmasuzy »

Jazz has achieved more than 625 to move this agreement forward...

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

So now that they have received enough names to vote this forward, can someone share what the big secret was that will entice new hires?

AllClutch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AllClutch »

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

emmasuzy wrote:Jazz has achieved more than 625 to move this agreement forward...
How well was the PMA subscribed too? Seniority spread?

Just curious.

AllClutch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AllClutch »

All we were told was that there was over 625 on the list. There is a little less than 500 hired post year 2000 so you have to assume most of those guys, I know of a few guys in the top 500 looking for the FIP money but it didn't seem like too many of those guys in the 500-880 range bought into it. There's a pretty big stick to accompany this carrot if your name is on that list and you choose not to go to AC.
I didn't think we would get 625 personally so I'm happily surprised.

CBcloud9
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by CBcloud9 »

When does the new agreement take effect?

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”