New CPA and flowthrough to Air Canada?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

New CPA and flowthrough to Air Canada?

Post by JoeyBarton »

---------- ADS -----------

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: New CPA and flowthrough to Air Canada?

Post by Stinky »

Very exciting. This is a little concerning.

The transition to a newer, larger gauge aircraft operation calls for a reduction in the Jazz fleet from 122 to an established minimum guarantee of 101 aircraft by the end of 2020, and 86 aircraft by the end of 2025. The transition to newer and more efficient larger gauge aircraft significantly helps to reduce per seat operating costs.

86 aircraft total is a big reduction.

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

Currently at Jazz : 21 Q400
16 705's
Coming soon 23 Q400's
24 CRJ 900's (top secret order)

Total 84 aircraft, that's pretty close to the 86 minimum.

ourkid2000
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ourkid2000 »

300's not going anywhere from what I read.

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

ourkid2000 wrote:300's not going anywhere from what I read.
Oh no!!!! There are 26 D300's, that equals exactly 86 if you remove the 24 new CRJ's.
This confirms the rumor that SKY is getting those 24 new CRJ's, I can't believe it.

razorblade
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by razorblade »

^

And this is why we are glad to have private forums!

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

razorblade wrote:^

And this is why we are glad to have private forums!
:D Save the serious stuff for your fancy private forums. This is for fun. It might not be SKY receiving those CRJ's, it could be Acme Aviation Inc. (the new, yet to be named startup)

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Congratulations! Great news

flyinhigh
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by flyinhigh »

Congrats in deed, really sucks to see the fleet decimated though.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada ... =d-tiles-3

Any details being leaked? I really hope your pension is not touched.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

Perhaps retirements and the "pilot mobility agreement" (flow?) will help aid the transition from the 1400+ pilot workforce down to a 1000+ workforce with the planned fleet reduction by 2025. No mention of those 24 RJ900s in today's announcement either.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Forgive me, perhaps I'm missing something. How is this CPA extension good news? It's a 5 year CPA extension in exchange for a 30% reduction in aircraft. What's the TA like? They mentioned "labour efficiencies" in the press release which sounds like a pay cut to me.

flyer 1492
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by flyer 1492 »

As they say...The devil is in the details. The way I look at it, this contract will be a plus to the lower half of the seniority list.

Flyer

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

Bede wrote:Forgive me, perhaps I'm missing something. How is this CPA extension good news? It's a 5 year CPA extension in exchange for a 30% reduction in aircraft. What's the TA like? They mentioned "labour efficiencies" in the press release which sounds like a pay cut to me.
I was thinking the same thing about the "good news" It will all come down to the flow agreement whether or not this is good or bad news. Most of the 50 something year old captain crowd won't be interested or benefit from the flow. The senior FO's who will never see a left seat will be able to take advantage. Is it a guaranteed flow when your number comes up? Do you carry any years of service for pay, vacation etc? How many Jazz vs OTS in each class?

TrailerParkBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TrailerParkBoy »

Yes, the first reaction is "good news", but all we know is that Jazz will not die in 2020. Good for Jazz!

Who at Jazz will it benefit? Pilots? Management? Senior? Junior? Only the TA will tell!

volez
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by volez »

Yes, there is neither bad nor good news as long as a TA has not been ratified. Let s wait until February 1st to see what the new contract is IN DETAILS.

Radiocaster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Radiocaster »

Where's Rudder when you need him. Any details leaked?

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

No and it should stay that way. We have private forums for a reason

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

BingBong really?
BingBong wrote:No and it should stay that way. We have private forums for a reason
BingBong wrote:You guys really think these cards would be kept a secret. This is heads up poker boys. If the need for secrecy was so important then like our Union there would be NDAs slapped all over the place and be kept in the dark. At least you guys hear something. You should be proud of the letters that your MEC has written to you. Very professional and giving lots of info without divulging details. And again. If the contents of this TA were so secretive...NDA.

Did this not happen to TA 1??
Congrats on the new agreement.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

The rumour I heard is that the new guys (not on the property yet) are getting thrown under the bus. I don't know if that means a "B" scale.

Third hand gossip, so take it for what it's worth.

loopa
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by loopa »

Not that this link is accurate, but gives us a base figure. http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airl ... anada_jazz

1434 pilot's at Jazz. 122 frames. Roughly 12 pilots / airframe.

By 2025 there will be 86, meaning 36 frames lost. At 12 pilots / airframe = 432 pilot's that will flow over in the next 10 years.

I heard 700 new hires and 500 retirements in the next 10 years at AC. These are rough figures, so if I'm wrong please do correct me.

That's 1200 new hires in the next 10 years. 432 coming from Jazz = 36% flow through.

So what happens to the other 1002 pilot's when 2025 comes? They will be on a b-scale salary and having to wait until flowing over to AC on an extension that doesn't go past 2025 - meaning will they even have jobs?

So is it really good news you guys? Sounds to me like the ship is still sinking but 432 souls will get out alive. Unless the 1002 people are going to be hitting retirement in the next 10 years. The math doesn't add up, roughly 1200 pilot's required at mainline, over 1434 pilot's required to flow over (not taking into account retirements). So then even if you wanted to go to AC, you wouldn't get there as a new hire at Jazz today. Maybe I'm missing something in which case I apologize for my poor analogy of this news.

Does this also mean that the people that flow from Jazz will have scored a career at AC without having to answer questions on liking flowers and whether clowns scare them, or doing an intensive medical versus peeing in a cup at Jazz? :shock: Interesting how it applies for some, and for others it won't. Wonder how many in the last decade would have also scored a job at AC if it wouldn't have been for the psych/cog evals.

Either way, congratulations to the ones that are affected positively by this. 8)

Last edited by loopa on Tue Jan 13, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”