2 CPAs for the price of ....poverty

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: 2 CPAs for the price of ....poverty

Post by Diadem »

Ditto. With this CPA, new Jazz pilots will now be making $2/hour less than Encore, so they definitely will not be the highest paid, by any metric. It's like the current Jazz pilots think that if they keep repeating the mantra, that makes it true, and they won't have to feel bad about signing the TA.
---------- ADS -----------

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

Diadem wrote:Ditto. With this CPA, new Jazz pilots will now be making $2/hour less than Encore, so they definitely will not be the highest paid, by any metric. It's like the current Jazz pilots think that if they keep repeating the mantra, that makes it true, and they won't have to feel bad about signing the TA.
Absolutely, it's funny how this keeps getting repeated and this myth has managed to live on. I would actually argue that Jazz pilots were, and will continue to be the lowest compensated in North America. If you just look at the average FO at Jazz vs the average FO at Encore or Sky, Jazz looks OK because of the years of service.
Now look at something that is actually meaningful, a 5 or 10 year trajectory for a new hire. Total compensation at Sky or Encore, and perhaps most regionals in the U.S. and Jazz is now closer to the bottom of the list.
With the new CPA, upgrades will come faster but with the new payscale Jazz will once again drop to the bottom of the pile. ALPA strikes again.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

Mach7 wrote:Did you ever consider what the other side of the coin looked like?

Your rant leads one to believe "Jazz" has control over it's own destiny. We are a contract carrier for Air Canada...nothing more nothing less. The control us 100 percent.
Did you ever consider what the third side of the coin looked like ?

Jazz is the second or third largest airline in Canada. Over 100 aircraft and 1200 to 1500 pilots. But like in Poker, the cards you have in your hand, regardless of how good they are, do not necessarily guarantee you will win.....

Stinky
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Stinky »

.....and just to add....

The other often repeated "best working conditions in the country!" is BS as well. I think it's a real disservice to post that on here, new pilots may come here to look for information and end up with distorted expectations.

The BOTL guy at Jazz has a very different life than the top guys. You'll work every weekend with the crappiest layovers and flying at the company.
Compare that to a new hire at Sky and Encore where I believe both company use a fair bidding system. A day one guy will have a decent schedule.
Jazz promoters also fail to mention things like zero pay for deadheads and the high cost of their healthcare plans.

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by proper »

Yes your right, it sucks to have short term, long term disability and travel insurance in addition to life insurance , accidental death and dismemberment, almost a thousand dollars worth of massages etc etc. If I die tomorrow, my family will get 20 000$ within 24 hours for funeral arrangements and subsequently 400 000$ plus. Yes indeed the premiums are expensive but it gives me the comfort of mind. Not to mention if I become a vegetable. My family will be safe. Now I realize you need additional insurance in this current economic time. New hires will not have the DB pension but the DC is far superior to every carrier except Air Canada's new hire DC. It is what it is but Jazz still is a great career company. With the movement forecast you won't have to be reserve for long. Oh and wait new hire at mainline works ya 16 days on a block or if you are on reserve min 12 days off WITH MOVABLE DAYS OFF? WTF?
We all can pick where we want to go. For those of you looking at regional employment, dont listen to those on a web board... Me included. Get the facts, get the contracts and see the pay stubs and pension plans for yourself. Look at bid packages and travel perk policies. If you dont know anyone than this is the best you can do I suppose.

Sorry I needed to clarify that.
Please continue original discussion.

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by proper »

I do hope and feel for our colleagues that will face the pressure of the new CPA. I'm keeping my fingers crossed there will be no layoffs or forced moves to the Classic operation involving degraded pay and working conditions.
Remember Air France in Yyz? The heroes that day were not the "skilled pilots" nor the "trained mechanics" but the experienced cabin crew. They and only they saved all those people. I will support my cabin crew!

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

proper wrote:Yes your right, it sucks to have short term, long term disability and travel insurance in addition to life insurance , accidental death and dismemberment, almost a thousand dollars worth of massages etc etc. If I die tomorrow, my family will get 20 000$ within 24 hours for funeral arrangements and subsequently 400 000$ plus. Yes indeed the premiums are expensive but it gives me the comfort of mind. Not to mention if I become a vegetable. My family will be safe. Now I realize you need additional insurance in this current economic time. New hires will not have the DB pension but the DC is far superior to every carrier except Air Canada's new hire DC. It is what it is but Jazz still is a great career company. With the movement forecast you won't have to be reserve for long. Oh and wait new hire at mainline works ya 16 days on a block or if you are on reserve min 12 days off WITH MOVABLE DAYS OFF? WTF?
We all can pick where we want to go. For those of you looking at regional employment, dont listen to those on a web board... Me included. Get the facts, get the contracts and see the pay stubs and pension plans for yourself. Look at bid packages and travel perk policies. If you dont know anyone than this is the best you can do I suppose.

Sorry I needed to clarify that.
Please continue original discussion.
If we are clarifying facts, may as well apply to yours as well. Reserve at mainline affords you 6 G days off per month, which are not movable. They are guaranteed, hence the G designation. There are 6 days + 6 hours which are either T days (technical) or O days (optional). If O days follow G days (eg 2 Gs followed by 2 Os) the Os are as good as Gs. So in actual fact, the only 2 days which are completely at the company's discretion every month are the 2 T days +6 hours.
As for block holders working 16 days, yes that does happen, depending on fleet, base, and season. It is definitely not a sure thing, every month. I am on a narrow body fleet and have not worked a 16 day month in 6 months.

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

Don't be short sighted...the addition of Q400s to the fleet is a nice touch, but you and I both know that that Aircraft is mission handicapped, in other words it can not do long sectors like YUL YWG or YOW YYT etc and is capped at FL250. This means that the additional expansion will be in the form of CRJ 900s.[/quote]

Actually I did YUL-YWG-YUL as a rescue.

Flight was blocked at 3 hr on the jet.

Westbound took 3:17, Eastbound took 2:45. The Q isn't so handicapped as you might think. It just sucks There is no movies to watch.
And being at 25 oh has maybe been an hindrance four times in the three years I've flown this bird.

proper
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by proper »

Great I stand corrected, I was under the impression that you had 4 fixed days off not six so thats good. Also good to hear about the 16 days thing. My point was simply for those looking for info to not completely trust us. We have a very unique experience as we all sit at a specific seniority number, bid slightly differently and have had a different voyage in this industry. Things change and you will only know for sure once you are there. In the meantime look for letterheads and documents. That will be as close as you can get.

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

You are not far off. Reserve increased from 4 to 6 G days with the latest contract. But the nature of G and O days has been that way since 2012.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

I once again say. The only thing to blame for this new contract is the cost pressures placed on Jazz and ALPA by Air Canada.

Separate OC or lose all the classics to another airline.
Accept the deal and go to Air Canada or face the axe in 2020.

That's it that's all. It's a lot simpler than all the conspiracy theories being presented on this board. Nobody was going to go head to head with Air Canada this time unlike our last negots. When it comes to negotiations, like war, you have to learn to realize when you are surrounded and in a no win situation. Considering our alternatives I think we did pretty good. I and most others at Jazz were not ready to burn down the house to prove a point.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
TrailerParkBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by TrailerParkBoy »

teacher wrote:I once again say. The only thing to blame for this new contract is the cost pressures placed on Jazz and ALPA by Air Canada.

Separate OC or lose all the classics to another airline.
Accept the deal and go to Air Canada or face the axe in 2020.

That's it that's all. It's a lot simpler than all the conspiracy theories being presented on this board. Nobody was going to go head to head with Air Canada this time unlike our last negots. When it comes to negotiations, like war, you have to learn to realize when you are surrounded and in a no win situation. Considering our alternatives I think we did pretty good. I and most others at Jazz were not ready to burn down the house to prove a point.
Thank you for not burning down the house today...I hope you'll be around in 2025 to watch the fire re-light! Me thinks you'll be long gone in 10 years...so who cares right?

Don't worry...most of the pilot group won't be around in 2025 to lay their cards down again!

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

I wish I was going to be around in 2025. I planned Jazz to be my career but the road show made it very clear. Sign up for the PML or else. Pass this TA or else. I felt, like many others, that I had no choice. Was it an accurate feeling or was I played? What would we and the piloting profession have gained had another tier 2 carrier been given the classic flying?

No doubt we ALL would have preferred a completely different scenario.

Strike vote=Sky Regional
Bench marking arbitration in Jazz's favour=Georgian
Refusal to pass the TA?=Not willing to take the risk

If I had faith in my fellow pilots to not stab me in the back or jump at the soonest opportunity to replace me than maybe I may have followed a more confrontational path with the company but I've done that and been there in the past and I was replaced.

Counting on a possible pilot shortage and ACs unwillingness to completely replace Jazz in 2020 is one too many eggs in my basket.

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Kosiw »

Any word on who the mystery buyer of those 24 crj 900s is? Is it Jazz or possibly Sky Regional, or another as yet unnamed AC connector?

Gravity always wins
CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

Kosiw wrote:Any word on who the mystery buyer of those 24 crj 900s is? Is it Jazz or possibly Sky Regional, or another as yet unnamed AC connector?
Rumour has it they are going to a new AC connector called Sky Georgian Rouge and they will be operated by highly trained monkeys as part of a "pilot" project.

Texan1256
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Texan1256 »

If it wasn't so sad, it'd be funny. :roll: :lol:

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

To think you are "above" "unskilled"labour is insulting. If you do not agree that longevity and loyalty towards a company doesn't allow you to have a bigger salary over years, you should re evaluate your own situation and take a new hire pay scale. A gate agent who makes 50k after 1-2-3 decades is merited. They gave their professional career to a company, should they not be able to make a living from their job? But what happened at jazz. Layoff and pink slips to outsource their labour to minimum wage no future jobs. Be happy the you had the opportunity to become a pilot a make a life. Other people became flight attendants and agents and ame. They have given years and decades of their careers to be chewed up and spit out.
I didn't say I was above unskilled labour.
You are drawing your own inferences which are inaccurate.

I said they deserve our respect.

Do I think pilots should earn more and enjoy better benefits than ramp or gate or FAs? Absolutely! Don't you? Should doctors have it better than unit clerks and orderlies? That's just the way the world works... and you get what you negotiate.

Somehow protecting other labour groups or spending bargaining capital on protecting their jobs when we open our own contracts isn't our problem. That's up to their negots and make no mistake, their unions have done very well for them over the years and never had a second thought about pilots along the way beyond getting the same benefits... So again, they deserve our respect, but we owe them nothing. That doesn't mean I want to see anyone kicked to the curb either, but you get what you negotiate.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I once again say. The only thing to blame for this new contract is the cost pressures placed on Jazz and ALPA by Air Canada.
There it is again, "Blame Air Canada".

For what? Trying to compete? Against lower costs at Encore, Porter and every US feeder?

Maybe that's where you should put the "blame"? Or maybe you have a better solution? What should AC do to compete in regional feed that allows costs to stay out of line?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

altiplano wrote: There it is again, "Blame Air Canada".

For what? Trying to compete? Against lower costs at Encore, Porter and every US feeder?

Maybe that's where you should put the "blame"? Or maybe you have a better solution? What should AC do to compete in regional feed that allows costs to stay out of line?
Have you seen the alternatives?

AC is fortunate to have Jazz as a commercial partner. And Jazz is fortunate to be the principal CPA partner for AC. With the revised CPA AC will achieve the cost objectives that it requires while retaining the service of the most reliable regional service provider in Canada.

Seems like a fair arrangement for both.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

altiplano wrote:
There it is again, "Blame Air Canada".

Actually if you read my earlier posts I did say that the other AC regionals and encore are the #1 reason for declining regional pilots wages and working conditions. AC is doing nothing more than attempting to match their WAWCON.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”