August Equipment Results

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, Sulako, North Shore

Message
Author
flyer 1492
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 452
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:55 pm

August Equipment Results

#1 Post by flyer 1492 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:13 pm

Here are the vacancies that are showing availble after our August equipment bid...
YUL CRJ F/0 7

YYZ D-8 F/O 11

YYZ Q-4 F/O 22

YYC CRJ F/O 10

YYC D-8 F/O 7

YYC Q-4 F/O 35

YVR D-8 F/O 13

The most junior Captain at Jazz as of the bid would have hired in late 2010.
---------- ADS -----------

rxl
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 451
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:17 am
Location: Terminal 4

Re: August Equipment Results

#2 Post by rxl » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:19 pm

105 vacancies. Huge.
---------- ADS -----------

705dreamer
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:00 pm

Re: August Equipment Results

#3 Post by 705dreamer » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:00 pm

flyer 1492 wrote:Here are the vacancies that are showing availble after our August equipment bid...
YUL CRJ F/0 7

YYZ D-8 F/O 11

YYZ Q-4 F/O 22

YYC CRJ F/O 10

YYC D-8 F/O 7

YYC Q-4 F/O 35

YVR D-8 F/O 13

The most junior Captain at Jazz as of the bid would have hired in late 2010.



Looks like the most junior captains were actually hired in 2011. Less than 5 years for the left seat on this bid, my how things have changed.
---------- ADS -----------

V2plus10
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:29 pm
Location: Canada

Re: August Equipment Results

#4 Post by V2plus10 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:23 am

705dreamer wrote:
flyer 1492 wrote:Here are the vacancies that are showing availble after our August equipment bid...
YUL CRJ F/0 7

YYZ D-8 F/O 11

YYZ Q-4 F/O 22

YYC CRJ F/O 10

YYC D-8 F/O 7

YYC Q-4 F/O 35

YVR D-8 F/O 13

The most junior Captain at Jazz as of the bid would have hired in late 2010.



Looks like the most junior captains were actually hired in 2011. Less than 5 years for the left seat on this bid, my how things have changed.
The biggest thing to change in my mind is the experience of ppl getting on. I've heard first hand there's been 1000hr be20 fo's in recent classes. With the need for that many more and the pay offered in return maybe it'll get to the point they're hiring fresh 200hr guys regularly next. I still remember the days you had to be in the industry for many years and 3-4-5000 hrs before they'd even call.
---------- ADS -----------

TrailerParkBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:48 pm

Re: August Equipment Results

#5 Post by TrailerParkBoy » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:46 am

flyer 1492 wrote:Here are the vacancies that are showing availble after our August equipment bid...
YUL CRJ F/0 7

YYZ D-8 F/O 11

YYZ Q-4 F/O 22

YYC CRJ F/O 10

YYC D-8 F/O 7

YYC Q-4 F/O 35

YVR D-8 F/O 13

The most junior Captain at Jazz as of the bid would have hired in late 2010.
Most Junior Captain as per memo says April 2011.
---------- ADS -----------

Flyboycanada80
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:17 am

Re: August Equipment Results

#6 Post by Flyboycanada80 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:07 am

.[/quote]

The biggest thing to change in my mind is the experience of ppl getting on. I've heard first hand there's been 1000hr be20 fo's in recent classes. With the need for that many more and the pay offered in return maybe it'll get to the point they're hiring fresh 200hr guys regularly next. I still remember the days you had to be in the industry for many years and 3-4-5000 hrs before they'd even call.[/quote]

I applied before the new agreement. ATPL and experience and all that. Got the call AFTER the new agreement. Could not afford for the family to take it.... I hope It gets to the point of HAVING TO increase wages. I heard the already let go of a bunch of newbies because they couldn't cut it.
---------- ADS -----------

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: August Equipment Results

#7 Post by upintheair_ » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:16 am

MMMmmm... 13 YVR slots. I'll take one please. :P
---------- ADS -----------

V2plus10
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:29 pm
Location: Canada

Re: August Equipment Results

#8 Post by V2plus10 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:57 am

Flyboycanada80 wrote:.
The biggest thing to change in my mind is the experience of ppl getting on. I've heard first hand there's been 1000hr be20 fo's in recent classes. With the need for that many more and the pay offered in return maybe it'll get to the point they're hiring fresh 200hr guys regularly next. I still remember the days you had to be in the industry for many years and 3-4-5000 hrs before they'd even call.[/quote]

I applied before the new agreement. ATPL and experience and all that. Got the call AFTER the new agreement. Could not afford for the family to take it.... I hope It gets to the point of HAVING TO increase wages. I heard the already let go of a bunch of newbies because they couldn't cut it.[/quote]

Not with guys like the one posting the comment before this one still polluting this industry. YVR base, sure I'll work for nothing. But yeah I heard the same about people flunking out.......pay peanuts get monkeys.
---------- ADS -----------

ikarus
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:04 pm

Re: August Equipment Results

#9 Post by ikarus » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:08 pm

times have changed indeed! I won't comment on experience of guys coming in or the pay, but 100+ vacancies!?? Wow, glad to see the movement is picking up at Jazz! And especially glad to see junior(ish) F/Os upgrading as early as 5 years. Maybe next time AC spurs up their hiring it will mean even junior FOs moving to the left seat!!
---------- ADS -----------

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: August Equipment Results

#10 Post by upintheair_ » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:15 pm

V2plus10 wrote:
Flyboycanada80 wrote:.
The biggest thing to change in my mind is the experience of ppl getting on. I've heard first hand there's been 1000hr be20 fo's in recent classes. With the need for that many more and the pay offered in return maybe it'll get to the point they're hiring fresh 200hr guys regularly next. I still remember the days you had to be in the industry for many years and 3-4-5000 hrs before they'd even call.
I applied before the new agreement. ATPL and experience and all that. Got the call AFTER the new agreement. Could not afford for the family to take it.... I hope It gets to the point of HAVING TO increase wages. I heard the already let go of a bunch of newbies because they couldn't cut it.[/quote]

Not with guys like the one posting the comment before this one still polluting this industry. YVR base, sure I'll work for nothing. But yeah I heard the same about people flunking out.......pay peanuts get monkeys.[/quote]

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. Mine is, pays more than I make now... in the city I'm from, with possible future at AC. Works for me. Better than sitting on AvCanada complaining about the industry while you're either jobless or sitting on your 777 left seat castle making $250,000k/yr telling all the young people to not take these low paying jobs. Sorry, but you gotta do what you gotta do to get ahead. And if that means a few years of making less than a previous guys, but still more than I make now, I'm OK with that.
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1530
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 pm

Re: August Equipment Results

#11 Post by rudder » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:25 pm

2011 DOH are showing upgrades because at least 200-300 more senior pilots passed on bidding upgrade at this time. That will change. Attempting to suggest that 4 years at Jazz gets you a guaranteed left seat is grossly inaccurate.
---------- ADS -----------

volez
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 107
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:33 am
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow

Re: August Equipment Results

#12 Post by volez » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:47 pm

Rudder,

Don't you think that a lot of these senior fo's are going to AC in the next few years ? I have been YYC based for over two years now and I have kept seeing growth. All we need now is a fresh order of CRJ 705 ;). But hey after all it's aviation, the only fact that is constant is change.

However it seems that the future at Jazz is enticing at least for the guys that got hired prior the last ratification.
---------- ADS -----------

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: August Equipment Results

#13 Post by upintheair_ » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:22 pm

And it will look enticing again for those hired under this agreement when another goes through in a few years. It's all relative.
---------- ADS -----------

FOD_Vacuum
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 145
Joined: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:54 am

Re: August Equipment Results

#14 Post by FOD_Vacuum » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:20 pm

Well, with A/C requiring 213 new hires starting now and ground school going indefinitely, 80% are going to come from Jazz. Take into consideration retirements and so forth, the industry for anyone with an ATPL and a good amount of multi time is looking great if you want to get on with Jazz. But that YVR spot sounds pretty awesome!
---------- ADS -----------

User avatar
Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 846
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:08 pm
Location: YEE 220 @ 4

Re: August Equipment Results

#15 Post by Canoehead » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:24 pm

I was always told that aviation works on roughly a 7 year cycle. Seems to be true (+/-) from what I've seen.
---------- ADS -----------

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: August Equipment Results

#16 Post by upintheair_ » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:02 am

I was told something like 101 Capt. upgrades since January.
---------- ADS -----------

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2365
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:25 pm

Re: August Equipment Results

#17 Post by teacher » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:24 pm

rudder wrote:2011 DOH are showing upgrades because at least 200-300 more senior pilots passed on bidding upgrade at this time. That will change. Attempting to suggest that 4 years at Jazz gets you a guaranteed left seat is grossly inaccurate.
All airlines from AC to Jazz that run under a seniority based bidding system have senior FOs that defer upgrades for lifestyle.
---------- ADS -----------
http://www.collegeofpilots.ca/

rudder
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1530
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 pm

Re: August Equipment Results

#18 Post by rudder » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:17 pm

teacher wrote:
rudder wrote:2011 DOH are showing upgrades because at least 200-300 more senior pilots passed on bidding upgrade at this time. That will change. Attempting to suggest that 4 years at Jazz gets you a guaranteed left seat is grossly inaccurate.
All airlines from AC to Jazz that run under a seniority based bidding system have senior FOs that defer upgrades for lifestyle.
Exactly.

And that is why if there is a 4 year AC pilot that holds EMB Capt or 8 year pilot that holds Rouge Capt does not mean that EVERY 4/8 year AC pilot can hold that position.

My guess is that somewhere out near 2018/2019 that 4 year Capt at Jazz will become more common. All of the pilots in the first 500 that wanted to retire or move to AC are already gone. Retirement rates for that group are now mimimal for a few years. Of the next 500, perhaps 300 will leave for AC. That will create most of the left seat opportunities for 2015-2017.
---------- ADS -----------

SM16
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 11:06 am

Re: August Equipment Results

#19 Post by SM16 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:12 am

Does anyone know If calls have been going out for an October geound school?
---------- ADS -----------

Kosiw
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 594
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:12 pm

Re: August Equipment Results

#20 Post by Kosiw » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:36 pm

So is Jazz purposly hiring more low time pilots than those with more time and experience, because of the current wawcon ? Or are there other reasons ?
---------- ADS -----------
Gravity always wins

Oxi
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: August Equipment Results

#21 Post by Oxi » Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:26 pm

anyone know if they have two ground schools a month till spring still?
---------- ADS -----------

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:40 pm

Re: August Equipment Results

#22 Post by upintheair_ » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:05 pm

Kosiw wrote:So is Jazz purposly hiring more low time pilots than those with more time and experience, because of the current wawcon ? Or are there other reasons ?
From what I understand they are looking for pilots who are going to stick around for a while. By hiring 3000+ hour pilots, there's a strong chance that after a year or two they will try to be off to AC or WJ. And then another round of hiring needs to be done to replace them. By hiring 1500 +- hour pilots, they are more or less going to get 3-5 years out of them before they have the qualifications and ambitions to move onto something bigger. Weather that be AC, WJ, Transat etc.
---------- ADS -----------

TrailerParkBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:48 pm

Re: August Equipment Results

#23 Post by TrailerParkBoy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:55 pm

upintheair_ wrote:
Kosiw wrote:So is Jazz purposly hiring more low time pilots than those with more time and experience, because of the current wawcon ? Or are there other reasons ?
From what I understand they are looking for pilots who are going to stick around for a while. By hiring 3000+ hour pilots, there's a strong chance that after a year or two they will try to be off to AC or WJ. And then another round of hiring needs to be done to replace them. By hiring 1500 +- hour pilots, they are more or less going to get 3-5 years out of them before they have the qualifications and ambitions to move onto something bigger. Weather that be AC, WJ, Transat etc.
There has never been a problem to keep pilots around at Jazz...well at least before the new contract was negotiated!

Now the company doesn't want pilots to stay long because they will be too expensive to be competitive with the other Express carriers!

The reason stated above is sort of correct. But I am sure the higher time pilots choose a quicker progression to the left seat...aka Sky Regional and Encore!

Jazz benefits don't mean much in the short term!
---------- ADS -----------

Oxi
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 378
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:33 pm

Re: August Equipment Results

#24 Post by Oxi » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:52 pm

upintheair_ wrote:
Kosiw wrote:So is Jazz purposly hiring more low time pilots than those with more time and experience, because of the current wawcon ? Or are there other reasons ?
From what I understand they are looking for pilots who are going to stick around for a while. By hiring 3000+ hour pilots, there's a strong chance that after a year or two they will try to be off to AC or WJ. And then another round of hiring needs to be done to replace them. By hiring 1500 +- hour pilots, they are more or less going to get 3-5 years out of them before they have the qualifications and ambitions to move onto something bigger. Weather that be AC, WJ, Transat etc.
A new hire 3000 hour Jazz pilot vs a 1000 hour will have the same chance at getting to AC once the PML list is exhausted, along with the other AC Express Carriers (Air Georgian, EVAS & Sky Regonial) If they wanted to go to Westjet then why not go to Encore and get on the list?
---------- ADS -----------

seriousflyer
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:47 pm

Re: August Equipment Results

#25 Post by seriousflyer » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:52 am

Hi Everyone,
When your invited to start training, after passing all the interview steps, exactly how does the aircraft and base selection play out?

If your from YYC and are eagerly wanting YYC base, how easy it to get YYC base if I pull a Montreal base from the random draw?

Also, how likely is it to get CRJ yyc base ?

thanks for replies!
---------- ADS -----------

Post Reply

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”