In the Pool.

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TrailerParkBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: In the Pool.

Post by TrailerParkBoy »

Adapt or die...that is a good one.

We didn't "adopt", because, salaries for 100% of the pre-contract pilots got a 2% pay raise. Only new hires salary was slashed! It will take more then 10 years to lower the salary budget to a point to be competitive!

Why wasn't the "New Business Model" that Jazz introduced to us mentioned in the contract road show? This must have been known at the time! I'm sure if we were informed, things would be different!
---------- ADS -----------

Mart
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Mart »

mbav8r wrote: You clearly have a grade 2 level of logic and comprehension of the current environment!
First why are you such a bully? You don't know me or my education level. Keep your free insult for yourself.
mbav8r wrote: First, a NO vote would have sealed our fate of looking for a new job December 31st 2020 and guess what, it would have been for GGN and Sky wages.
If you really think a publicly trade company making millions in profit every year will just shut down because of a collective employee disagreement... THAT'S a grade 2 knowledge in business and economy. I repeat the company was making profit and still is as of today, record profits in the last quater.
mbav8r wrote: Second, a NO vote would have most certainly meant that there would have been NO pilots hired at Jazz, making our industry leading wages and working conditions moot. So holding on to them benifited absolutely no pilot.

So Air Canada, Transat, West Jet... etc wouldn't hire any pilot if Jazz votes NO, come on. Even if you voted NO, you could still apply to any of those mainlines and leave a seat open for someone else at Jazz, or if you didn't want to leave Jazz, the previously mentioned airlines would still hired people off the street.
mbav8r wrote:Third, we were told, when the question was raised at the road shows, "aren't you worried we won't attract pilots with those new wages?" I'm paraphrasing but basically they would know in a few months if they lowered it too much, if they weren't able to find new pilots. Well the pilots who come to Jazz under the new terms can only blames themselves for accepting those wages.
So following your logic, those new pilots should just stay unemployed and get a nice 500$ a month social insurance check instead of working.
mbav8r wrote: More to the point, a yes vote meant some movement from the stagnation we were experiencing for years, it worked, there are many upgrades going on and as the list shrinks it will slow down but don't forget of half the pilots who are staying ie; not on the list, a significant portion of them will be retiring over the next several years.
Does any of this make it ok, not really but I can say almost certainly YOU would have voted yes, if you were in my shoes. Go ahead and deny it but you're only kidding yourself if you think otherwise.
Again, AC, Transat, WestJet, Sunwing and many other are hiring for the coming years because of growth and retirement, with or without a Jazz PML you would have seen movement and upgrade.

My point still stand, the one who could have made a difference are the one who were able to vote. Do you really think the 60% non voter at the last federal election are the one who made the government change it's politic. Also, if you think your company needed to be more competitive by lowering the wages why not come with an all inclusive collective agreement then, like wage freeze for couple of years or -2% for everyone instead of a crazy -10% to -15% wage for new guy only, and signing bonus and wage increase for the current employees. Some years ago women fought for their rights to have the same wage as man for the same work. Now our children will have to do the same in the coming years and fight for their rights to have the same wage as their parents for the same work.

AirMail
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by AirMail »

If you really think a publicly trade company making millions in profit every year will just shut down because of a collective employee disagreement... THAT'S a grade 2 knowledge in business and economy. I repeat the company was making profit and still is as of today, record profits in the last quater.
This is true. Earlier I thought the Jazz union had their backs up against the wall, but the fact is that above. Also who would hypothetically replace Jazz if AC said GTFO? - GGN? SKY? I'd really like to see how they'd ramp up a smooth transition and keep AC happy as good and long as Jazz has.
Only new hires salary was slashed! It will take more then 10 years to lower the salary budget to a point to be competitive!
Also what is telling that way too much was given up by ALPA is the fact months later Jazz buys Voyaguer for 80 million! Add the salary top up for those on the PML going to AC.. more millions spent. Where is the competitiveness? Will Jazz ALPA push another negative contract in 2025 in order to be "competitive" again? Whilest Chorus goes and spend millions more on some other venture shortly after again? Some strong kool aid was handed out at that roadshow IMO.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

This is true. Earlier I thought the Jazz union had their backs up against the wall, but the fact is that above. Also who would hypothetically replace Jazz if AC said GTFO? - GGN? SKY? I'd really like to see how they'd ramp up a smooth transition and keep AC happy as good and long as Jazz has.
I thought about this as well. I remember at that time GGN was trying to get their RJ flying going and had some issues. Sky had a few of their OC's pulled at airports down in the states due to pilots not following STARs. Jazz was able to pick up the extra flying because of this and "maintain AC's integrity."

AC knows the value in Jazz with a fleet size of 100+ airplanes and close to 5000 employees (Wikipedia stats here)...there is no way that AC would be able to replace Jazz without it having any serious implications on their service, no matter how many planes they push at SKY or how many GGN acquires.

Maybe its because I'm sitting on the other side of the fence but I just saw this as selling out the future for short term gain. But there is no way of definitively proving either argument is correct, so in the end all we have is opinions, this is mine, which many of you may find wrong or misinformed. But that's what forums and discussions are for.

Out of curiosity how is the PML going? Lots of hires at AC from Jazz? or are they taking GGN and SKY pilots first...?

HatHat
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by HatHat »

Thanks for the replies everyone. For those who were asking, it was about 2 weeks to a month between interview and sim, then the same for the rest.

Still curious about 2 things.

Does anyone know about any upcoming groundschools? I've been waiting in the pool for a while now.... Longer than most people seem to say.

Also, do people just sit in the pool and never get ground schools?

Any insight would be helpful,

Thanks folks.

Rcs-68
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Rcs-68 »

Next GS on october 13th.

Be02pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Be02pilot »

HatHat wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. For those who were asking, it was about 2 weeks to a month between interview and sim, then the same for the rest.

Does anyone know about any upcoming groundschools? I've been waiting in the pool for a while now.... Longer than most people seem to say.

Thanks folks.
It depends are your time. If you have 2000+ multi 704-705. You'll probably go first. If you came from instructing with 1500 you're probably a little lower down the list. You
L get the call. It just may be near the end of all this hiring.

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by iamnomaverick »

Be02pilot wrote:
HatHat wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. For those who were asking, it was about 2 weeks to a month between interview and sim, then the same for the rest.

Thanks folks.
It depends are your time. If you have 2000+ multi 704-705. You'll probably go first. If you came from instructing with 1500 you're probably a little lower down the list. You
L get the call. It just may be near the end of all this hiring.
Can anyone confirm the above ? I thought the pool would be on first come first serve basis, as in the date the candidate was entered into the pool.
Thanks

duncan
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by duncan »

From what I understand the pool will generally be depleted in order of candidates who had the best results during the interview process. This includes sim, and the actual interview itself. (Not nessesarily the most experienced)

If two poolies have similar scores they well call the more experienced resume first.

Although with the ongoing hiring I can't imagine the wait in the pool to be too long for anyone.

AvExpress
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AvExpress »

For me recently, one week after interview did the sim. About two weeks later drug/security. One mth after that for offer, no pool. So almost two mths from interview to offer. Recruiting is very busy, they are also dealing with hiring FAs, so be patient your time will come. As they say, no news is good news.

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by iamnomaverick »

AvExpress wrote:For me recently, one week after interview did the sim. About two weeks later drug/security. One mth after that for offer, no pool. So almost two mths from interview to offer. Recruiting is very busy, they are also dealing with hiring FAs, so be patient your time will come. As they say, no news is good news.
When did you go through the hiring process ? I had my interview early Sept, sim eval less than 2 weeks later (which went really well) and no news since. Good things happen to those who wait, I hope.

AvExpress
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AvExpress »

August. AFAIK Nov 2nd course calls have gone out, another course late November. Good luck!

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by iamnomaverick »

AvExpress wrote:August. AFAIK Nov 2nd course calls have gone out, another course late November. Good luck!
Thank you. I am not sure if that calls are going out based on experience, how the candidate did on the inteview/sim eval or by how busy the individual recruiter is.

Last edited by iamnomaverick on Sun Oct 18, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

iamnomaverick wrote:
AvExpress wrote:For me recently, one week after interview did the sim. About two weeks later drug/security. One mth after that for offer, no pool. So almost two mths from interview to offer. Recruiting is very busy, they are also dealing with hiring FAs, so be patient your time will come. As they say, no news is good news.
When did you go through the hiring process ? I had my interview early Sept, sim eval less than 2 weeks later (which went really well) and no news since. Good things happen to those who wait, I hope.
Tow people I know had a sim eval and interview in Aug/Sept and still have not had a yes call or a PFO. Apparently no news is good news so they should hopefully get a call soon. Same for yourself.

AvExpress
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AvExpress »

iamnomaverick wrote:
AvExpress wrote:August. AFAIK Nov 2nd course calls have gone out, another course late November. Good luck!
Thank you. I am not sure if that calls are going out based on experience, how the candidate did on the inteview/sim eval or by how busy the individual recruiter is.
I was told by recruitment it's up to flight ops what their requirement/need is. I imagine they mix in a variety of experience levels, which seems to be the norm for many airlines.

I know waiting is hard, especially not hearing anything. But with the amount of hiring going on, especially next year, you'll be here soon enough.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

what was the last gs

Maver!ck
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Maver!ck »

5 RJ
10 Q400

All in YYC

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by iamnomaverick »

Are they planning any ground schools for December or is this it for this year ?

checkremarks
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by checkremarks »

Latest GS was:

6 YYC CRJ
2 YYC Q400
8 YVR Classic

"There are no traffic jams along the extra mile"
"Why don't you knock it off with all them negative waves"
Sky_Conqueror
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Sky_Conqueror »

Greetings all! Just wondering what are the projections for G/S in the new year. Its approaching fast! I am aware that A/C has maybe a G/S on January 4th, so there might be something linked to that...as we all know the 80% pilot flow comes from Jazz. Anyone heard for any other GS later in the year? Thanks!

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”