How long before I can afford to move out of parents basement

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, Sulako, North Shore

Post Reply
Message
Author
Cgar1989
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:38 am

How long before I can afford to move out of parents basement

#1 Post by Cgar1989 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:42 am

Does anyone have an idea of what the upgrade time would be for a guy starting at Jazz right now would be? I don't know how long I can afford to make less then 40k a year.

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------
  

TrailerParkBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:48 pm

Re: How long before I can afford to move out of parents base

#2 Post by TrailerParkBoy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:28 pm

Most junior Captain started at Jazz in April 2011 and is based in YYC.
---------- ADS -----------
  

Cgar1989
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:38 am

Re: How long before I can afford to move out of parents base

#3 Post by Cgar1989 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:54 pm

Thats great thanks. So with all the movement and hiring going on at Jazz one could expect that or even less time?
---------- ADS -----------
  

iamnomaverick
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:37 pm

Re: How long before I can afford to move out of parents base

#4 Post by iamnomaverick » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:05 pm

I have two close friends working at Jazz now, under the new contract; One with 2 kids and stay-at-home wife, the other has 3 kids and his wife works part time..Both seem to manage pretty good and they have mortgages too. Not sure why you can't manage to move out of your parents basement. Maybe a money management problem ? Not trying to be rude to you but I have lived on less (way less)than what Jazz is paying now and managed to have my own place, car, girlfriend, paid a little bit of debt down and even went out once in a while.
---------- ADS -----------
  

mike06x
Rank 0
Rank 0
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:35 pm

Re: How long before I can afford to move out of parents base

#5 Post by mike06x » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:16 pm

the poster is just trying to be an ass. Jazz still pays better than Sky and Georgian and Encore. if not in starting salary than the per diems will make up for it real quick. about 12-13k a year in per diems tax free. Those base salaries are also based off of an average monthly and with the reduced crews we operate now, more guys are working higher average blocks leading to more overtime anyways. No, it is not idea and yes we deserve more but you can thank the Sky Regional and Encore crews for lowering the bar for us. We all deserve more but Jazz pilots got forced into the contract or face continued reduction in flying to cheaper regional partners. Welcome to the regional game guys.

With Air Canada now spooling up hiring, they are taking about 15 to 20 pilots a month from Jazz. The upgrade time will start to move up pretty quickly now. There are a lot of vacancies leading to a lot of movement, even if you don't get your desired base, chances are you will have the option to move pretty quick. Being on reserve won't last very long either. Jazz also has a good diversity of equipment available, but the Q seniority seems to move fastest in YYC and Dash moves slowest in YVR.

Hope that all helps
---------- ADS -----------
  

dirk82
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:24 pm

Re: How long before I can afford to move out of parents base

#6 Post by dirk82 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:24 pm

mike06x wrote:the poster is just trying to be an ass. Jazz still pays better than Sky and Georgian and Encore. if not in starting salary than the per diems will make up for it real quick. about 12-13k a year in per diems tax free. Those base salaries are also based off of an average monthly and with the reduced crews we operate now, more guys are working higher average blocks leading to more overtime anyways. No, it is not idea and yes we deserve more but you can thank the Sky Regional and Encore crews for lowering the bar for us. We all deserve more but Jazz pilots got forced into the contract or face continued reduction in flying to cheaper regional partners. Welcome to the regional game guys.

With Air Canada now spooling up hiring, they are taking about 15 to 20 pilots a month from Jazz. The upgrade time will start to move up pretty quickly now. There are a lot of vacancies leading to a lot of movement, even if you don't get your desired base, chances are you will have the option to move pretty quick. Being on reserve won't last very long either. Jazz also has a good diversity of equipment available, but the Q seniority seems to move fastest in YYC and Dash moves slowest in YVR.

Hope that all helps

So your saying if you work overtime and use your lunch money to pay your rent all will be ok since the wait times to the left seat are less than 6 years now due to the old jazz pilots moving on to AC in record numbers under that sweet deal they made off the backs of the 2015 hires?

The Logic makes perfect sense.
---------- ADS -----------
  

leftoftrack
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 688
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: How long before I can afford to move out of parents base

#7 Post by leftoftrack » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:36 pm

Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahsh
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
fruitloops
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:13 pm

Re: How long before I can afford to move out of parents base

#8 Post by fruitloops » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:57 pm

mike06x wrote:the poster is just trying to be an ass. Jazz still pays better than Sky and Georgian and Encore. if not in starting salary than the per diems will make up for it real quick. about 12-13k a year in per diems tax free. Those base salaries are also based off of an average monthly and with the reduced crews we operate now, more guys are working higher average blocks leading to more overtime anyways. No, it is not idea and yes we deserve more but you can thank the Sky Regional and Encore crews for lowering the bar for us. We all deserve more but Jazz pilots got forced into the contract or face continued reduction in flying to cheaper regional partners. Welcome to the regional game guys.
Sky's total package is better than Jazz - Both Encore's FO and GGN's RJ FO pay is above the 3 year level for a Jazz FO now - I think Jazz has placed the bar at new lows - when you are a public company with shareholders demanding higher profits/dividends and increasing competition I guess that's what happens :) Jazz elders will have their newbies paying for their well being for a few years :) they are lucky and Jazz is a good company overall.
---------- ADS -----------
  

rudder
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1605
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:10 pm

Re: How long before I can afford to move out of parents base

#9 Post by rudder » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:27 am

fruitloops wrote:
Sky's total package is better than Jazz - Both Encore's FO and GGN's RJ FO pay is above the 3 year level for a Jazz FO now - I think Jazz has placed the bar at new lows - when you are a public company with shareholders demanding higher profits/dividends and increasing competition I guess that's what happens :) Jazz elders will have their newbies paying for their well being for a few years :) they are lucky and Jazz is a good company overall.
If you truly believe that then you and your counterparts should go to SKY and GGN. The less of you that apply the sooner that Jazz will realize that being at the bottom of the pay grid may put the ability to staff the schedule at risk.

It is a 'sellers market' for pilots right now. You have choices. Start acting like that is the case and stop blaming people that were flying airplanes and fighting to improve the overall lifestyle of regional pilots before you were born.
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 850
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:08 pm
Location: YEE 220 @ 4

Re: How long before I can afford to move out of parents base

#10 Post by Canoehead » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:12 pm

Big +1 rudder
---------- ADS -----------
  

rob-air
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 173
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 6:36 pm

Re: How long before I can afford to move out of parents base

#11 Post by rob-air » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:38 am

Cgar1989 wrote:Does anyone have an idea of what the upgrade time would be for a guy starting at Jazz right now would be? I don't know how long I can afford to make less then 40k a year.

Thanks

The question is When will your parents finally kick you out?
---------- ADS -----------
  

User avatar
andy_mtl
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 239
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:47 am
Location: Yul!

Re: How long before I can afford to move out of parents base

#12 Post by andy_mtl » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:57 pm

Hey!

No one is forcing anyone to apply at a 705.
You like flying what you really flying right now and making the money you really making right now?
Then keep on doing so.

But really guys ?
There 's a post for every single 705 out there full of complaints and negativity.

There are a few thousands pilots in Canada employed by 705 ops and clearly there 's a huge line up of candidates still in line.

So please , be an aviation professional or passionate and remain such.

Andy
---------- ADS -----------
  

Post Reply

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”