University Degree vs College Diploma?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

BillyBeany
Rank 0
Rank 0

University Degree vs College Diploma?

Post by BillyBeany »

Apparently, Jazz prefers those who "Graduate from an Aviation College Degree, or Diploma program". However, at least from what I've been told, obtaining a Degree in something like Computer Science is more beneficial, as Airlines do not care where your Degree came from, or what it's in.

So, on to my question....

Will Jazz regard a 4 year Bachelors of Computer Science as highly as an Aviation college Degree/Diploma?

Furthermore...

Do Airlines, in Canada, really care about Aviation degrees?
---------- ADS -----------

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: University Degree vs College Diploma?

Post by tipsails »

It says that but it really doest matter. How you do in the interview and sim, and your personality matters way more. I know a number of pilots who worked at Jazz and Encore with only having done private training (not in a program).

As for aviation vs. regular degrees... a degree is a degree. It will help you more when you make the jump to AC or WJ, but again... I know a number of recent hires (within the last 5 years) at both AC and WJ that did private training.

References, personality and interview/sim matter the most.

BillyBeany
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by BillyBeany »

tipsails wrote:It says that but it really doest matter. How you do in the interview and sim, and your personality matters way more. I know a number of pilots who worked at Jazz and Encore with only having done private training (not in a program).

As for aviation vs. regular degrees... a degree is a degree. It will help you more when you make the jump to AC or WJ, but again... I know a number of recent hires (within the last 5 years) at both AC and WJ that did private training.

References, personality and interview/sim matter the most.
Thanks for the reply!

Will they take people with 250 hours if they are not graduates of the Seneca / Sault program?

tipsails
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tipsails »

There is about a zero chance of being hired at Jazz with 250 hours. Sorry. It happens, but it's very rare. Speaking to captains I know there they hate flying with the 250 hour guys because they are too green. They're learning the stuff you would learn in a season or two on a Cessna or Navajo in a Dash-8. Which can be dangerous. Go get your ATPL, a few good references and you might get a shot.

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

tipsails wrote: Speaking to captains I know there they hate flying with the 250 hour guys because they are too green. They're learning the stuff you would learn in a season or two on a Cessna or Navajo in a Dash-8. Which can be dangerous.
Actually that couldn't be further from the truth. The vast majority of training captains have nothing but good things to say about the collage pilots. They know the SOP better than most line pilots. Most (however there are some) are very respectful and very eager to learn. There is a lot more to flying than just regurgitating script lines and I wouldn't have traded my experiences up north for anything, but for the most part they seem to be doing a very good job.

The captains you know here are probably our 10% crew that would make a seasoned pilot book off I'm guessing so that shows you how credible their "experiance" was.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Yes the training pilots love the 250 hour "wonders" because they know the SOP's better than senior pilots and can fly the sim like there's no tomorrow however put them in a max crosswind or a snowy windy night and it's a whole different ballgame.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Most of them are good to fly with and eager learners. There's a few that think they know it all but there's always one in every crowd. Would I rather fly with someone with a few thousand hours? Sure but this is the new normal in regional airline flying. Just have to keep your guard up a little more but it keeps me alert which is good! :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”