YVR Commuter Question

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

YVR Commuter Question

Post by KenoraPilot »

Hey Guys,

I am about to become a YVR commuter from YEG. I was wondering where about you guys stay on your days here? Are there lots of crash pads around? Air BnB? Hotels? If hotels which hotels around the airport have the cheapest rates!? I'll be holding reserve so looking to spend as little money as possible. If you could PM me that would be great! Thanks for the help!

Cheers
KP
---------- ADS -----------

plhought
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: YVR Commuter Question

Post by plhought »

Sandman Signature Richmond has a rate of $102 bucks for corporate flight crews - may be able to weasle that.

Acclaim Inn down the road has a really good in-and-out rate. W/ a bud's professional association discount it was 84 bucks for a 'junior suite'. I imagine with a smaller room i'd be quite cheap.

Nice thing about the hotel is ya can jump on the shuttle.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Thanks for the info! If anyone else has any more they know of I'd love to hear it! :) Also if anyone has a line on crash pads in YVR i'd love to get some contact info for them.

Cheers
KP

flyingpilot9
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyingpilot9 »

With those hotel prices you'll use your salary up. Kijiji has some good stuff, good luck with things.

iSight
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by iSight »

I'd suggest getting a modest Airbnb downtown. You can easily walk to the Canada line train and be at the airport in about 35 mins. Living in a hotel near the airport is lame. If you are on reserve but not finished line indoc you likely won't get called in often (if at all). It might not be the absolute cheapest option but being downtown will save you from getting beyond bored and allow you to live some sort of life. You can rent a bike for $5 and cruise around, eat ramen noodles (just cause everyone else is), etc.

The hotels offering crew rates for commuters tend to not offer the rate past two consecutive days. And getting an Airbnb with a kitchen will you save buckets of money that you won't have (no per diems if you're on reserve but don't fly). Depending on how many people get hired in behind you, you might want to change your plans if you are still on reserve when done line indoc. If called in for a super early flight, the sky train might not be running yet ( but that's rare)

If you have other questions, let me know. I also commute fro YEG to YVR and was in the same situation not long ago.

Cheers!

CFM56
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CFM56 »

Avoid hotels if you can... during higher travel season (cruise and fishing trip peaks May(ish)- October) you won’t be able to get a room anywhere for less than $200/night before tax (and that’s a deal). I’ve been commuting YYC-YVR for almost a year and with the low block averages and high reserve lines, it’s not been a good situation there. I’ve been getting better rates lately on the staff traveller app but still not great.

flyingcanuck
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by flyingcanuck »

Theres a few hostels downtown that are like 50-70$ a night, some are even cheaper if you want to just use a bed in a bunk-bed setup with other randos. There are some crashpads listed in the crew room too

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

flyingcanuck wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:30 am Theres a few hostels downtown that are like 50-70$ a night, some are even cheaper if you want to just use a bed in a bunk-bed setup with other randos. There are some crashpads listed in the crew room too
Hostels? Why don’t you just sleep in a cardboard box under a bridge?

Let’s Go Brandon
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Inverted2 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:16 am
flyingcanuck wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:30 am Theres a few hostels downtown that are like 50-70$ a night, some are even cheaper if you want to just use a bed in a bunk-bed setup with other randos. There are some crashpads listed in the crew room too
Hostels? Why don’t you just sleep in a cardboard box under a bridge?
Who doesn't want to stay at the Cambie!

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”