New hire bids

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: New hire bids

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

plausiblyannonymous wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:26 pm
Warden wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:12 pmYou're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.
I haven't seen the lifestyle at Encore, but I am right to be skeptical about Jazz based on the fact that they make you agree to move somewhere before telling you where.
You don’t have to move anywhere. Their commuting policy is extremely generous. Not to mention that you’d likely get the base you wanted before you’re even finished training, so it’s a non issue.

Unless you’re one of the snowflakes living in XYZ small town New Brunswick, and refuse to commute (or move) and are upset that no major airlines are opening hubs and crew bases in Buctouche.
---------- ADS -----------

Canuck1988
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Canuck1988 »

Warden wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:12 pmYou're fooling yourself if you think otherwise.
I haven't seen the lifestyle at Encore, but I am right to be skeptical about Jazz based on the fact that they make you agree to move somewhere before telling you where.
And to others who are agreeing with plausiblyannonymous:

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but the majority of airlines hire this way. I would say Encore is not the norm. They are doing that, that is great. But my personal opinion is you would be limiting your job opportunities (not just at jazz, but other good companies) if you weren't prepared to at least take a risk of not getting the base you want, and transferring to your preferred base. That being said, some peoples family/living situations do prevent them from doing that and that is perfectly fine - to each their own.

That being said, the current movement means you would not be "stuck" anywhere you wouldn't want to be for too long. Not too long ago, people were stuck for upwards of 5 years with no movement.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

PostmasterGeneral wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:55 am
You don’t have to move anywhere. Their commuting policy is extremely generous. Not to mention that you’d likely get the base you wanted before you’re even finished training, so it’s a non issue.

Unless you’re one of the snowflakes living in XYZ small town New Brunswick, and refuse to commute (or move) and are upset that no major airlines are opening hubs and crew bases in Buctouche.
I realize something like that won't happen, but I always thought it was unfortunate that Jazz, who lists their headquarters as Halifax, doesn't have a Halifax base.

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

C-GGGQ wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:49 am
PostmasterGeneral wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:55 am

I realize something like that won't happen, but I always thought it was unfortunate that Jazz, who lists their headquarters as Halifax, doesn't have a Halifax base.
They do. Just not for Pilots anymore ;)

hsilgnepilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hsilgnepilot »

So am I reading this right? I work for an ALPA carrier currently but say I come to Jazz in 4 months... I get to bid ahead of anyone in the class who wasn't previously employed by an ALPA carrier?

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by goleafsgo »

hsilgnepilot wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:00 pm So am I reading this right? I work for an ALPA carrier currently but say I come to Jazz in 4 months... I get to bid ahead of anyone in the class who wasn't previously employed by an ALPA carrier?
Yes. If you're the only former ALPA member you get first pick of equipment/base. I can't remember what happens if there's more than one ALPA member, pretty sure it goes by the order of joining ALPA

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

hsilgnepilot wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:00 pm So am I reading this right? I work for an ALPA carrier currently but say I come to Jazz in 4 months... I get to bid ahead of anyone in the class who wasn't previously employed by an ALPA carrier?
Yes but you’re still only bidding on what’s offered in that particular class, you just get to pick first. Your seniority is still behind everyone with a DOH before you, regardless of if you’re ALPA or not.

unpressurizedhead
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by unpressurizedhead »

I put in my Jazz application. I'm close to 1500TT with close to 200 multi turbine. Just about to get my ATPL sign off. How long is the call back time approximately if I am selected for screening?

a_pilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by a_pilot »

I don't mean to pick on you specifically, plausiblyannonymous, but being a recent hire Jazz FO, I can tell you this:

- I haven't done a recurrent sim yet
- I've already been awarded my desired base, I was awarded it during sim training.
- I spent 2.5 weeks post-indoc on reserve at my hire base, since then I've had a full line of flying every month.
- With an ATPL, I can likely be awarded an upgrade within a year of hire.

These are very objectively UNREAL opportunities for the Canadian regional pilot at one of the three "major" regionals, the others being Porter and Encore.

What I've noticed though, on the RJ, are captains who are very resentful of the attitudes coming out of these forums and into the cockpit from people who started training post-2010.

I fly with captains twice my age, who spend 15 YEARS as first officers with no upward or even lateral movement within the company. They've survived mergers, base reductions, layoffs, furloughs, and medical issues in some cases to be able to sit in the seats they do. They trained when training was unpaid. When accommodations in training were on their own dime. Jazz not only provides that, they top it off with a training perdiem. They worked when there weren't duty limitations. They worked up north for 5-7 years before coming to jazz

Then FOs come in, all piss and vinegar, complaining about this that and everything else under the sun, without one iota of respect or even acknowledgement of what things used to be like.

Sure you can't say "well it's different for us, blah blah blah", but you're about to jump into a plane shoulder to shoulder with this person for 4 days. To some, the lack of appreciation for how far the industry has come is equivalent to barging into a cockpit and stating "hello, I love Hitler" as a first impression.

This forum is the place for these discussions, so keep em going. But please, to future FOs like me, make sure you enter that flight deck with respect for the captain as a baseline, and leave your problems in the terminal.

You don't like it, go somewhere else. You got hired and still don't like it? Time to work with ALPA to make the changes you want to see. Whining on a forum is a fart in the wind. Does nothing, but some still end up smelling it.

Good luck all. Keep it classy.

A Pilot.

mel gibson
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mel gibson »

Good post.

The funniest thing I heard last month, was a Teal team Captain who was sent to charm school for bugging his young FO, on how little experience they had. The FO said, " you should respect the journey I took to this seat....."

ha ha millennials!!!!

:?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

[/quote]

I don't mean to pick on you specifically, plausiblyannonymous, but being a recent hire Jazz FO, I can tell you this:

- I haven't done a recurrent sim yet
- I've already been awarded my desired base, I was awarded it during sim training.
- I spent 2.5 weeks post-indoc on reserve at my hire base, since then I've had a full line of flying every month.
- With an ATPL, I can likely be awarded an upgrade within a year of hire.

These are very objectively UNREAL opportunities for the Canadian regional pilot at one of the three "major" regionals, the others being Porter and Encore.

What I've noticed though, on the RJ, are captains who are very resentful of the attitudes coming out of these forums and into the cockpit from people who started training post-2010.

I fly with captains twice my age, who spend 15 YEARS as first officers with no upward or even lateral movement within the company. They've survived mergers, base reductions, layoffs, furloughs, and medical issues in some cases to be able to sit in the seats they do. They trained when training was unpaid. When accommodations in training were on their own dime. Jazz not only provides that, they top it off with a training perdiem. They worked when there weren't duty limitations. They worked up north for 5-7 years before coming to jazz

Then FOs come in, all piss and vinegar, complaining about this that and everything else under the sun, without one iota of respect or even acknowledgement of what things used to be like.

Sure you can't say "well it's different for us, blah blah blah", but you're about to jump into a plane shoulder to shoulder with this person for 4 days. To some, the lack of appreciation for how far the industry has come is equivalent to barging into a cockpit and stating "hello, I love Hitler" as a first impression.

This forum is the place for these discussions, so keep em going. But please, to future FOs like me, make sure you enter that flight deck with respect for the captain as a baseline, and leave your problems in the terminal.

You don't like it, go somewhere else. You got hired and still don't like it? Time to work with ALPA to make the changes you want to see. Whining on a forum is a fart in the wind. Does nothing, but some still end up smelling it.

Good luck all. Keep it classy.

A Pilot.
[/quote]

Nail.........Head! Fantastic post! :prayer:

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

*deleted* comment was unnecessary and didn't add anything constructive to the thread

Last edited by Outlaw58 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

The problem is is not about millennials but how much you respect, communicate and are in empathy with your coworkers.
What I've seen since I began aviation is easier it is for people the more they are complaining about things.

When you freeze off you ass on the ramp covering Cessnas, flying when it is -20 in a no heat in the cockpit, when you wake up at 5 each and every day to fly... Then when you're working alone with an operator in a twin flying over the prairies, all of this, is different Than people getting of the school and getting a 1900 FO for 500hrs and having a ground school directly in Jazz because they have done 704 operation.

When you began from scratch and climb the ladder step by step this how and where you understand why being humble is so important.

A millennial

unpressurizedhead
Rank 0
Rank 0

People will whine and complain from all industries, regardless of their experiences and career trajectory.

I know experienced drivers who complain twice as much, yet younger guys who are in the game show good attitude and professionalism that puts older guys to shame.

Life experiences are important if you can walk away learning. Adopting a growth mindset is important. How you got to your seat in the cockpit doesn't matter in my opinion. It just is how it is. Deal with it. Whether you spent two years or an entire life time, show professionalism and respect.

Attitude is everything.

unpressurizedhead
Rank 0
Rank 0

Last edited by unpressurizedhead on Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unpressurizedhead
Rank 0
Rank 0

unpressurizedhead
Rank 0
Rank 0

Double

ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogc »

I just want to mention. Millenials stopped in the early 90s. Anyone born passed 93-94 is considered Gen Z

floater121.5
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by floater121.5 »

Anyone know openings for Aug 19th GS?

Babar350
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Babar350 »

Now that AT will join AC and GS will seemingly slow down, anyone has a guess on how this will unfold for the Jazz pilots that should have joined mainline ?

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”