New hire bids

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

From what I've been told about the "differences" on the Q to DH8 and vice versa is "its at the companies discretion". If THEY need you on a different type and it suits them they can "give you the course" and you're unfrozen. But I've never heard of it happening.....but they kinda leave it out there as a carrot. So please do your research and choose well when its your bid day (unless you don't have a choice like myself.....last in my class) lol. So please do not bank on going to the Q from the DH8 because they are same type. If you really really want the Q bid the Q. Bidding the DH8 won't get you to the Q any faster.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by KenoraPilot on Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re:

Post by HansDietrich »

KenoraPilot wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:56 am From what I've been told about the "differences" on the Q to DH8 and vice versa is "its at the companies discretion". If THEY need you on a different time and it suits them they can "give you the course" and you're unfrozen. But I've never heard of it happening.....but they kinda leave it out there as a carrot. So please do your research and choose well when its your bid day (unless you don't have a choice like myself.....last in my class) lol. So please do not bank on going to the Q from the DH8 because they are same type. If you really really want the Q bid the Q. Bidding the DH8 won't get you to the Q any faster.
Yup! Everything he said. Except he probably meant "Diffent Type" not "different time"

Das ist mir wurst...
Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Re:

Post by Rowdy »

HansDietrich wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:19 pm
KenoraPilot wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:56 am From what I've been told about the "differences" on the Q to DH8 and vice versa is "its at the companies discretion". If THEY need you on a different time and it suits them they can "give you the course" and you're unfrozen. But I've never heard of it happening.....but they kinda leave it out there as a carrot. So please do your research and choose well when its your bid day (unless you don't have a choice like myself.....last in my class) lol. So please do not bank on going to the Q from the DH8 because they are same type. If you really really want the Q bid the Q. Bidding the DH8 won't get you to the Q any faster.
Yup! Everything he said. Except he probably meant "Diffent Type" not "different time"
I know of a couple captains who were released from the freeze to go from classic/q to the RJ. I've yet to see a frozen FO move from the classic to the Q. Not sure why anyone would want to make the swap. But I'm out west, where we don't hate the classic.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Rowdy wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:39 am
I know of a couple captains who were released from the freeze to go from classic/q to the RJ. I've yet to see a frozen FO move from the classic to the Q. Not sure why anyone would want to make the swap. But I'm out west, where we don't hate the classic.
The classic is the better job out west by far. The Q is a slave driver.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Lightchop wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:19 am

AMEN I pray we don't lose the Classics any time soon.....the Q drivers work wayyyyy too hard for their money. (Sorry boys/girls)

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

KenoraPilot wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:08 pm

AMEN I pray we don't lose the Classics any time soon.....the Q drivers work wayyyyy too hard for their money. (Sorry boys/girls)
Don't remind me.

Kthanxbye

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: New hire bids

Post by HansDietrich »

I doubt the Q guys work more for their money. I can't comment on YVR or YYC, but I really doubt Calgary was much better than Toronto. What did the classic do? Edmonton, Grand Prairie, Fort Mac, Saskatoon and Winnipeg? Maybe a little BC flying, but I doubt that much. YVR guys probably have it better: Nanaimo, interiror BC... did they do Seattle? I flew on the classic once YVR - SEA, but it was a pax, about 15 years ago.

Das ist mir wurst...
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

HansDietrich wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:54 pm I doubt the Q guys work more for their money. I can't comment on YVR or YYC, but I really doubt Calgary was much better than Toronto. What did the classic do? Edmonton, Grand Prairie, Fort Mac, Saskatoon and Winnipeg? Maybe a little BC flying, but I doubt that much. YVR guys probably have it better: Nanaimo, interiror BC... did they do Seattle? I flew on the classic once YVR - SEA, but it was a pax, about 15 years ago.
The Q out west work the hardest for their money, me questions asked. Unless you've flown multiple types you wouldn't understand how shitty it is.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Lightchop wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:36 pm
HansDietrich wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:54 pm I doubt the Q guys work more for their money. I can't comment on YVR or YYC, but I really doubt Calgary was much better than Toronto. What did the classic do? Edmonton, Grand Prairie, Fort Mac, Saskatoon and Winnipeg? Maybe a little BC flying, but I doubt that much. YVR guys probably have it better: Nanaimo, interiror BC... did they do Seattle? I flew on the classic once YVR - SEA, but it was a pax, about 15 years ago.
The Q out west work the hardest for their money, me questions asked. Unless you've flown multiple types you wouldn't understand how shitty it is.
I have only flown the DH8. The thing about "working hard" is a little relative. What does that mean? More days per month? More legs per day? More credit hours per pairing?

For me working harder is lots of legs and or a lot of waiting around. With that being said, the ABSOLUTE WORST part FOR ME (again, for me) were the destinations. Sudbury, Timmins, North Bay, Sault St. Marie, Thunder Bay, Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg, Sept Ille, Bagotville, Grindstone (in the winter), Val d'Or and the absolute worst: Wabush. It was like flying 703 again, but for less money and a crappier plane (the 350 I flew up North was way nicer. The heating on it actually worked and you weren't freezing your ass off like I did during the cold Quebec winter months, flying the Dash 8.) BTW how is the Q up front? Do you have to wear your parka, during the winter months?

The only destinations I thought were decent on the Dash: Kingston, Freddie, St. John, Windsor and the odd Quebec City. Winnipeg & Saskatoon were okay is the summer; still crap in the winter. I remember on numerous occasions, the old timers from Air Ontario used to tell us how cool it was to fly the Dash back in the day to all the US destinations and good overnights. Now it's like driving the city bus in the local neighborhood... bot not the nice one... the ghetto...

At least on the Q you get overnights in bigger cities. There are things to do.

Das ist mir wurst...
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

HansDietrich wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:48 pm
Lightchop wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:36 pm
I have only flown the DH8. The thing about "working hard" is a little relative. What does that mean? More days per month? More legs per day? More credit hours per pairing?

For me working harder is lots of legs and or a lot of waiting around. With that being said, the ABSOLUTE WORST part FOR ME (again, for me) were the destinations. Sudbury, Timmins, North Bay, Sault St. Marie, Thunder Bay, Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg, Sept Ille, Bagotville, Grindstone (in the winter), Val d'Or and the absolute worst: Wabush. It was like flying 703 again, but for less money and a crappier plane (the 350 I flew up North was way nicer. The heating on it actually worked and you weren't freezing your ass off like I did during the cold Quebec winter months, flying the Dash 8.) BTW how is the Q up front? Do you have to wear your parka, during the winter months?

The only destinations I thought were decent on the Dash: Kingston, Freddie, St. John, Windsor and the odd Quebec City. Winnipeg & Saskatoon were okay is the summer; still crap in the winter. I remember on numerous occasions, the old timers from Air Ontario used to tell us how cool it was to fly the Dash back in the day to all the US destinations and good overnights. Now it's like driving the city bus in the local neighborhood... bot not the nice one... the ghetto...

At least on the Q you get overnights in bigger cities. There are things to do.

I could care less where I go. I just can't stand the constant 6 leg min credit, min turn days. They're exhausting. Compared to the two leg 6 credit days I did on the RJ or 4 leg 4-5 credit days on the Q our east. Also I wouldn't really call YXJ and YXS better layovers .. which are the majority of YVR Q overnights. There's @#$! all to do.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Lightchop wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:11 pm ...Compared to the two leg 6 credit days I did on the RJ or 4 leg 4-5 credit days on the Q our east...
Flying the RJ at Jazz... vs the Q or DH8 is like working for a completely different company. If I would've gotten the RJ, I still would've been at Jazz now.

Das ist mir wurst...
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

HansDietrich wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:22 pm
Lightchop wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:11 pm ...Compared to the two leg 6 credit days I did on the RJ or 4 leg 4-5 credit days on the Q our east...
Flying the RJ at Jazz... vs the Q or DH8 is like working for a completely different company. If I would've gotten the RJ, I still would've been at Jazz now.

%1000 agree

Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

HansDietrich wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:22 pm Flying the RJ at Jazz... vs the Q or DH8 is like working for a completely different company. If I would've gotten the RJ, I still would've been at Jazz now.
Sorry if already asked but what year did you start at Jazz? Where were you working before that?

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I cringe every time I look through the Q Bidpac out west. Only the top 10 lines are reasonable. I wouldn't even call them 'good'.

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

Canoehead wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:40 pm
HansDietrich wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:22 pm Flying the RJ at Jazz... vs the Q or DH8 is like working for a completely different company. If I would've gotten the RJ, I still would've been at Jazz now.
Sorry if already asked but what year did you start at Jazz? Where were you working before that?
I worked up North and left Jazz not too long ago. I was with them for about a year. Sorry I still want to keep my anonymity. I'm not exactly the most politically correct guy on this site. I just left Jazz because it was not my cup of tea. I fly corporate now and I'm much happier. I know lots of guys and girls that started around the same time as me that don't mind it and have made a good life for themselves. I also know a few guys from that ended up quitting Jazz or going to other airlines. (not AC).

Das ist mir wurst...
Canoehead
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Canoehead »

HansDietrich wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:46 am I worked up North and left Jazz not too long ago. I was with them for about a year.
Ah.... okay.

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

HansDietrich wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:46 am
I worked up North and left Jazz not too long ago. I was with them for about a year. Sorry I still want to keep my anonymity. I'm not exactly the most politically correct guy on this site. I just left Jazz because it was not my cup of tea. I fly corporate now and I'm much happier. I know lots of guys and girls that started around the same time as me that don't mind it and have made a good life for themselves. I also know a few guys from that ended up quitting Jazz or going to other airlines. (not AC).

Ironically if you stuck around you'd likely be an RJ skipper already.

daedalusx
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by daedalusx »

Lightchop wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:13 am

Unironically he’d still be the worst paid 705 jet skipper in North America...

In twenty years time when your kids ask how you got into flying you want to be able to say "work and determination" not "I just kept taking money from your grandparents for type ratings until someone was stupid enough to give me a job"
Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

daedalusx wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:52 am

Not even close.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

daedalusx wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:52 am

Nope, VAL, R1, GGN....just to name 3.....but the list continues

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”