YYC Base

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

twinpratts
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

YYC Base

Post by twinpratts »

I see that there is def ‘shrinkage’ of the RJ base in YYC, but what about the Q?
Is Jazz hiring Q400 FOs for YYC?
---------- ADS -----------

I want to die like my grandfather did, peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming in terror like his passengers...
QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: YYC Base

Post by QKZXKV »

twinpratts wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:32 am I see that there is def ‘shrinkage’ of the RJ base in YYC, but what about the Q?
FO Vacancies in YYC specifically are used to staff enough FOs for the Captain roster. It does not necessarily reflect directly on a reduction or increase of flying in YYC. Looking short term, the fall/winter schedule looks bleak for both aircraft types. RJ is doing YYC-YEG and YYC-MAF. Q is doing 1 a day to places like YQU and a couple to YMM. Very sparse...

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

QKZXKV wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:44 am
twinpratts wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:32 am I see that there is def ‘shrinkage’ of the RJ base in YYC, but what about the Q?
FO Vacancies in YYC specifically are used to staff enough FOs for the Captain roster. It does not necessarily reflect directly on a reduction or increase of flying in YYC. Looking short term, the fall/winter schedule looks bleak for both aircraft types. RJ is doing YYC-YEG and YYC-MAF. Q is doing 1 a day to places like YQU and a couple to YMM. Very sparse...
Yes, because that is all they can staff. The amount of flying not getting done that was a year ago is shocking. But they don't have the resources to actually do it.

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Which airport is MAF?

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

hithere wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 10:23 am Which airport is MAF?
Midland Texas; oil charter for AC on the 7th, 14th, and 17th.

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

truedude wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:43 am
Yes, because that is all they can staff. The amount of flying not getting done that was a year ago is shocking. But they don't have the resources to actually do it.
I am aware of all that.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

QKZXKV wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 2:36 pm
truedude wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:43 am

I am aware of all that.
Then they either plan to abandon it forever; or hope to rebuild it. Given the internal AC announcement today regarding Calgary, I would say if there was a plan, that nothing is going according to plan.

The bump in pay at Jazz won't fix it the problem, and it will keep getting worse. Someone at AC needs to seriously get with the picture and understand the reality of today, not what things used to be, or how they wish they were.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

truedude wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:15 pm Given the internal AC announcement today regarding Calgary, I would say if there was a plan, that nothing is going according to plan.
?

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

rudder wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:26 pm
truedude wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:15 pm Given the internal AC announcement today regarding Calgary, I would say if there was a plan, that nothing is going according to plan.
?
Essentially they will be updating their winter sched tomorrow, and for YYC it means no non-stop flights to Cancun, Frankfurt, Halifax, Honolulu, Los Angeles, Ottawa, effective Oct 30th,

It sites, "industry-wide pilot shortage" and that they are running a smaller fleet than 2019, with mainline having to substitute their resources to replace regional flying.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

truedude wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:38 pm
?
Essentially they will be updating their winter sched tomorrow, and for YYC it means no non-stop flights to Cancun, Frankfurt, Halifax, Honolulu, Los Angeles, Ottawa, effective Oct 30th,

It sites, "industry-wide pilot shortage" and that they are running a smaller fleet than 2019, with mainline having to substitute their resources to replace regional flying.
That's kinda what happens when you park 25 B-767's (Rouge) and have no "capacity replacement" plan. Aircraft are being deployed to former 767 destinations from YUL and YYZ, while walking away from full aircraft out of YYC.

Brilliant.

There was nothing wrong with those fins BTW.

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

RippleRock wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:05 pm

?

That's kinda what happens when you park 25 B-767's (Rouge) and have no "capacity replacement" plan. Aircraft are being deployed to former 767 destinations from YUL and YYZ, while walking away from full aircraft out of YYC.

Brilliant.

Yup, and this apparently has been a war of 2 sides in the board room at AC.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

?

Brilliant.

I wonder how much of this could have been avoided had no mainline pilots been furloughed during COVID.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

?

Yes. Second time in two years the same message has been sent to mainline YYC employees in advance of route suspensions.

Same reason as last time. Pilot shortage at Jazz. Mainline metal moving to shore up regional routes out of YYZ/YUL and YVR. Assurances its being corrected. Only temporary. No layoffs planned.

The problem is the same as last year. I don’t think the issue has been corrected. Apparently AC believes it has.

I suspect the route suspensions will now continue into summer 2024.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

rudder wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:42 pm

Brilliant.

I wonder how much of this could have been avoided had no mainline pilots been furloughed during COVID.
Just my opinion, but I believe they used the Covid stoppage to adjust the fleet. I don't think they believed flying would pick up substantially until the summer of 2024. Taking the 767's out of service likely allowed them financial relief on those fins and other savings. I believe they thought tourist traffic would come back dead last. Wrong.

Smarter stratagists would have formulated a "quick capacity return" to keep in their back pocket just in case, but they didn't, and here we are.

We will likely lose permanent market share due to this blunder. That on top of losing the "most concessionary and malluable union" in the history of the airline is the "icing" on the Flt Ops cake..

Last edited by RippleRock on Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

QKZXKV wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:33 pm

Brilliant.

I'd like to hear more about this? Because I have been trying to understand the logic behind all of this.

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

truedude wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:34 pm

Brilliant.

I'd like to hear more about this? Because I have been trying to understand the logic behind all of this.
Lucie Guillemette and Rovinescu were in the camp that parked the Rouge 767s. Lucie was EVP and in charge of fleet deployment. Some of the other execs wanted the 767s treated like the rest of the fleet and put in long term storage until demand justified the return. In the end, they were unable to return the 767s to service and opted to bring the oldest 320s back to help the fleet out.

The YYZ station manager told me that they sorely missed the 767 capacity in summer 2022 for IROPs lift as they were sometimes used for pre-2020.

Guillemette apparently took the fall for some of the service deficiencies last summer and her "retirement" was accelerated like the 767s.

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

RippleRock wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:32 pm
rudder wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 6:42 pm

Brilliant.

Just my opinion, but I believe they used the Covid stoppage to adjust the fleet. I don't think they believed flying would pick up substantially until the summer of 2024. Taking the 767's out of service likely allowed them financial relief on those fins and other savings. I believe they thought tourist traffic would come back dead last. Wrong.

Smarter stratagists would have formulated a "quick capacity return" to keep in their back pocket just in case, but they didn't, and here we are.

We will likely lose permanent market share due to this blunder. That on top of losing the "most concessionary and malluable union" in the history of the airline is the "icing" on the Flt Ops cake..
That's most likely the case.

truedude
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by truedude »

QKZXKV wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:44 pm

Lucie Guillemette and Rovinescu were in the camp that parked the Rouge 767s. Lucie was EVP and in charge of fleet deployment. Some of the other execs wanted the 767s treated like the rest of the fleet and put in long term storage until demand justified the return. In the end, they were unable to return the 767s to service and opted to bring the oldest 320s back to help the fleet out.

The YYZ station manager told me that they sorely missed the 767 capacity in summer 2022 for IROPs lift as they were sometimes used for pre-2020.

Guillemette apparently took the fall for some of the service deficiencies last summer and her "retirement" was accelerated like the 767s.
Hopefully a few more retirements can be accelerated, and someone who doesn't have their head up their ass can plot a course out of this mess.

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

truedude wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:57 pm
QKZXKV wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:44 pm

Hopefully a few more retirements can be accelerated, and someone who doesn't have their head up their ass can plot a course out of this mess.
That I can wholeheartedly agree with!

canadian_aviator_4
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by canadian_aviator_4 »

I wonder if YYC-LHR will be next to go for winter 2024-2025?

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”