Commuting question

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

goleafsgo
Rank 4
Rank 4

Commuting question

Post by goleafsgo »

Just wondering how many days a month on average commuters are away from home and how many extra days away it works out to compared to someone living at their base?
---------- ADS -----------

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Commuting question

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Depends. Are you commuting from Calgary to Winnipeg? Or Toronto to Paris?

Generally speaking, you'll lose a day on the front end of a pairing so you can be in town the night before. And of course, you may be able to head home right after your pairing depending on what time it's finished. If it's a late end though, you'll lose another night away from home.

Most commuters bid the 4 day pairings, so plan to work 4 of those a month. Should give you a good idea how much you'll be away from home.

I should note I am not a commuter myself, just explaining the basic process. Perhaps someone who does commute can chime in.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

You can also bid max continuous days off and run a few pairings back to back with a day off in between or so. If you put in your bid notes "commuting schedule" the block builders will do their best to accommodate.

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

Once you get a bit of seniority you will spend less days away per month. In my case there are many pairings that start and/or end with a deadhead to the city I commute from. I haven't spent a single extra night in my base in over 6 months and I was hired in 2015.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Depends on your seniority and bidding power. Junior expect to be adding an extra day every time you go to work, once senior enough no extra nights away or very few

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Also don't forget no AC or Jazz passes for 6 months. You can jump on WJ and that's what most people seem to do.

Viper32
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Viper32 »

if you are a new hire and plan on commuting just for the first 6 months or so before moving to your new base,
if you are on a 4 day pairing and say show up in your start off base day before, are accommodations at your own cost or do jazz etc have some sort of set up for people commuting or do you have a special rate at a hotel ?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Travel and accommodations are at ur own cost if you want to commute. There are hotels that have discounts....ie Accent Inn in YVR at $69/night and Sandman at $90. The commuting policy at Jazz is pretty fair as well. WJ Jumpseat is approx $30 cheaper return than AC. I was a commuter for 7mths when I started.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Your cost. Jazz has a commuting policy where if you are booked on a flight that will allow you to arrive with a one flight buffer (last resort flight must arrive 30min before check in IIRC) and you get bumped from both there is no repercussions. But no, the cost of a crash pad or hotel is on you.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”