Jazz Reqiurements?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Jazz Reqiurements?

Post by JBI »

That's a good point, but I thought one of the reasons for the diversification of the AC regional flying wasn't just a reduction in costs but also more insurance in the case of the a labour disruption. I wasn't directly following the events in 2010, but I was under the impression that both the Jazz pilots and flight attendants were looking to strike in 2010 and AC didn't have any options if the strike did occur. From that perspective at least, there is a benefit to splitting up the AC Express Flying (I'm not condoning this nor suggesting it is a "good" thing, just some thoughts as to why AC may be opposed to consolidating the AC Express brands).
---------- ADS -----------

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

JBI wrote:That's a good point, but I thought one of the reasons for the diversification of the AC regional flying wasn't just a reduction in costs but also more insurance in the case of the a labour disruption. I wasn't directly following the events in 2010, but I was under the impression that both the Jazz pilots and flight attendants were looking to strike in 2010 and AC didn't have any options if the strike did occur. From that perspective at least, there is a benefit to splitting up the AC Express Flying (I'm not condoning this nor suggesting it is a "good" thing, just some thoughts as to why AC may be opposed to consolidating the AC Express brands).
The only Express labour groups that are guaranteed NOT to be on strike between now and 2025 are Jazz.

AC may have diversified the Express feed but they have also seen and experienced the unanticipated challenges and consequences.

At the end of the day, the goal for AC is cost certainty and reliability. AC should pursue the outcome that best achieves those objectives while understanding that the supply of pilot labour is dwindling.

LennyLeonard
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LennyLeonard »

Is multi time still the ticket in or is PC12 time good enough given the state of things?

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

LennyLeonard wrote:Is multi time still the ticket in or is PC12 time good enough given the state of things?
For some reason, it isn't good enough. From my understanding, 250 multi is still a hard minimum. Someone will tell you I know I guy, yeah ok, some guys come in right out of college too. Life isn't fair, specially in the airlines.
I have been made aware of some guys getting a call at 700-800 hours, interviewed and told: just build a bit more time.

Apply though, get your application in the lot. You never know. 400 pilots to be hired in 2018!

** FYI, I have pc12 time and I know what it is worth, specially if PIC. Company should respect the pc12 time as other regionals do. I mean; right on the encore website they specify multi or high performance single....

Good luck

speedah
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by speedah »

mbav8r wrote:
Stu Pidasso wrote:Jazz has been hiring 250 hour Pilots, right from College, for years. It would seem to me if you are now hiring 1000 hr guys - they should be considered High Timers.

The industry is exploding for Pilots, enjoy the ride. Let's hope they open the border and all the young Pilots can apply to the US Majors. That will put a fast end to the starvation wages offered by the Canadian outfits and all the general aviation clowns that have been exploiting Pilots with ramp and dispatch jobs......

Can go straight to "Out of Business!" Poetic Justice
While I can appreciate what you're saying, the fact is Jazz was hiring 10 or so college grads per year based on the top performers in the graduating class, they were still hiring experienced pilots and as of lately that pool is drying up, now the majority is likely under 1500 hours but I don't know that I'm just guessing.
Just want to add something I heard the other day and I'm certain if somebody ran the number it would agree, a new hire pilot today will break even after three years when compared to pilots on the old contract and movement, and after eight years will be 50g ahead assuming they take the upgrade as soon as they can hold it.
My vintage, it was 9 years before I could even hold a left seat at any base and before me it was an even longer wait. As someone pointed out, this bid will likely upgrade some with 7-8 months in the company, which I believe was the entire intention of this new contract.
The second part of your post regarding them going straight out of business, couldn't agree more!
Jazz is going to be hiring somewhere in the neighbourhood of 60 college grads this year. It will be similar or higher next year.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Oh man, the amount of fun those kids are going to miss out on. Fire detection low level, running along empty over the bush at 300' on a beautiful day, the people you meet flying 703. The comradery in the crew house, hangar stories from the old guys, bonfires, waterskiing behind the crash boat, etc. Not to mention the hard learned lessons that 703 charter work teaches about saying no, developing instincts and just good old fashioned personal development. I wouldn't wish a airline FL250 job on anybody right out of college. Seems almost cruel to deny them those experiences.

Stan Darsh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stan Darsh »

Meh, I don't blame anyone for taking the opportunities presented to them. I bet Jazz looks very close to the end game a lot of fresh CPLs envision.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

That is true. Ignorance is bliss, if you don't know what you are missing, how can you miss it?

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

While the college guys/girls coming to Jazz will have great careers they are definitely missing the most fun part of aviation. Also places where you make lifelong friends

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

av8ts wrote:While the college guys/girls coming to Jazz will have great careers they are definitely missing the most fun part of aviation. Also places where you make lifelong friends

Amen! :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:
I wouldn’t give up my experiences for any career advancements

fmaugurati
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by fmaugurati »

goingnowherefast wrote:Oh man, the amount of fun those kids are going to miss out on. Fire detection low level, running along empty over the bush at 300' on a beautiful day, the people you meet flying 703. The comradery in the crew house, hangar stories from the old guys, bonfires, waterskiing behind the crash boat, etc. Not to mention the hard learned lessons that 703 charter work teaches about saying no, developing instincts and just good old fashioned personal development. I wouldn't wish a airline FL250 job on anybody right out of college. Seems almost cruel to deny them those experiences.
AMEN to that!

Rupert_Pupkin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rupert_Pupkin »

goingnowherefast wrote:Oh man, the amount of fun those kids are going to miss out on. Fire detection low level, running along empty over the bush at 300' on a beautiful day, the people you meet flying 703. The comradery in the crew house, hangar stories from the old guys, bonfires, waterskiing behind the crash boat, etc. Not to mention the hard learned lessons that 703 charter work teaches about saying no, developing instincts and just good old fashioned personal development. I wouldn't wish a airline FL250 job on anybody right out of college. Seems almost cruel to deny them those experiences.
How those company's are going to staff there airlines I have no idea.....

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yycinformer »

anyone have any idea what the current backlog is in the call back process?

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

None that I know of. Two of my friends just got on here less than a week ago, and both got called with the offer the day after their medical.

yycinformer
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by yycinformer »

How about call back times after you hit the apply button and/or where they are currently hiring at TT wise

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Rupert_Pupkin wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:12 am
How those company's are going to staff there airlines I have no idea.....
There will always be guy/gals who want to be one of the few, not the many; or those who are from/like living in small towns vs 'the big smoke'...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

yycinformer wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:37 pm How about call back times after you hit the apply button and/or where they are currently hiring at TT wise
I think the lowest time guy I’ve heard of outside of the college kids had 1,200 TT or so. That being said, multi crew turbine is worth a LOT more than time spent in a 172 flying circuits or instructing it seems. As far as when you’ll hear back after applying, that’s anyone’s guess. I’ve seen everywhere from 3 weeks to 4 months. HR is flooded with applications right now, and the holiday season is fast approaching. If you just applied, I would think you’d hear back by the spring on whether or not to expect an interview.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

I know of guys in the 800 to 900hr range being hired. They had some multi pic too, however it is all ifr, 2-crew 703 time. Not sure if they had their AAs written or just IATRA.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Just did sim with a sim veal guy and he says we’re hiring quite a few around the 800TT mark now.

Speedalive
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Speedalive »

They’ve recently lowered the requirements to 500TT from 1000 if you went to one of the college’s with a Jazz Pathways program and didn’t get in right after graduation.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”