Captain requirements?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Hudson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Captain requirements?

Post by Hudson »

Do any of the Jazz folks here know if there are minimum requirements for Captain upgrades at Jazz?

With upgrades happening in less than 2 years I can see that it would be possible for the college grads to be eligible for upgrade seniority wise with less than 2000 hours.

Is that possible at Jazz? I understand it's probably a relatively new problem to Jazz with upgrades happening quicker than ever before.
---------- ADS -----------

dashtrash1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Captain requirements?

Post by dashtrash1 »

Just an ATPL is required. From what I've heard a number of the college grads have been upgraded.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Hudson wrote:Do any of the Jazz folks here know if there are minimum requirements for Captain upgrades at Jazz?

With upgrades happening in less than 2 years I can see that it would be possible for the college grads to be eligible for upgrade seniority wise with less than 2000 hours.

Is that possible at Jazz? I understand it's probably a relatively new problem to Jazz with upgrades happening quicker than ever before.
1500 hours, ATPL and your number can hold it.

There is no problem at Jazz. Lots of qualified pilots are waiting for upgrades.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

dashtrash1 wrote:Just an ATPL is required. From what I've heard a number of the college grads have been upgraded.
Oh my...

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

'97 Tercel wrote:
dashtrash1 wrote:Just an ATPL is required. From what I've heard a number of the college grads have been upgraded.
Oh my...
And you think that all of the skippers at GGN and SKY are seasoned veterans?

Times have changed. It is a sellers market. Promotion opportunities come very quickly. As long as the training and checking system standards are maintained, only qualified candidates will succeed in the upgrade.

As for overall experience levels, that is a separate debate.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

You really think 1500 hours and a fresh ATPL is fine to be a captain at Jazz? I don't think it's fair to the oblivious travelling public.

The levels of experience that are and are going to be sitting in the left seat of 705 machines is scary.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

'97 Tercel wrote:You really think 1500 hours and a fresh ATPL is fine to be a captain at Jazz? I don't think it's fair to the oblivious travelling public.

The levels of experience that are and are going to be sitting in the left seat of 705 machines is scary.
Perhaps you should share your concerns with Transport Canada. Clearly, the Part 705 licensing rules do not meet your standards.

However, I will agree that there is no substitute for experience. Unfortunately, not a lot of 5000 hour pilots looking for new-hire seniority numbers at the Express carriers.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

That's true

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

'97 Tercel wrote:You really think 1500 hours and a fresh ATPL is fine to be a captain at Jazz?
Jazz/AC management seems to thinks so.

flymore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flymore »

Firstly, Jazz provides some of the best training around.

Secondly, this conversation has been exhausted. Experience doesn't always mean better pilots, so it's unfair to judge someone just by their ATPL. Some of the new college grads are extremely sharp and their training was tailor made for an airline environment.

I did things the "traditional" way. Instructed a few years. Flew a 703 operation for a couple of years, before I joined Jazz at nearly 3000 hours. I'm an FO at Jazz and I've flown with captains much younger and less experienced than me, but I can say that each one is completely qualified for their position. No hard feelings at all from my side.

This is the way it is oldies. Accept it.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

I'm more concerned about a 2000hr college grad captain getting paired with a 500hr college grad FO. Pairing new junior captains with 5000+? hour First Officer flymore isn't concerning.

Also, isn't Sully's crusade all about there being no replacement for experience?

flymore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flymore »

It doesn't matter who the FO is and how experienced. If a 2000 hour college grad has worked hard and been successfully completed Jazz's qualification requirements, then he/she is competent and qualified for that position. Instead of prematurely judging someone based on their experience, give them the benefit of the doubt.

While experience definitely helps, there are several other factors that are required to make you a competent professional pilot.Looking at case studies and learning from others mistakes does help with somewhat replacing experience. Work hard, practice good communication etc.

If you read the latest news on the AC plane that almost landed on the taxiway with 4 planes on it, the pilots there had 30000 hours of experience between them.

With all due respect to Sully, I'm not sure if he has the final word on that discussion of experience.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

It doesn't matter who the FO is and how experienced
Yeah it does.

Anywho, I wouldn't knowingly put my family on a Jazz plane that had a combined crew total time of 2000-2500 hrs(I guess the only way to know is how much acne they have and whether their voice cracks during the PA announcement - or I could maybe ask them how fresh their instructor rating is)

I don't care how great the sim training was and the one day Human Factors class.

This is all a Buffalo Colgan v2.0 waiting to happen.

Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

'97 Tercel wrote:
It doesn't matter who the FO is and how experienced
Yeah it does.

Anywho, I wouldn't knowingly put my family on a Jazz plane that had a combined crew total time of 2000-2500 hrs(I guess the only way to know is how much acne they have and whether their voice cracks during the PA announcement - or I could maybe ask them how fresh their instructor rating is)

I don't care how great the sim training was and the one day Human Factors class.

This is all a Buffalo Colgan v2.0 waiting to happen.
The combined experience of the crew of 3407 was ~5600hrs...so what are you talking about?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Low pay, fatiguing schedules (stand-ups, etc.), inexperienced crews. Am I describing Colgan, Jazz or both? The only difference is Colgan pilots knew their deal sucked. Jazz pilots think "superior" training makes them immune to inexperience and fatigue.

There's lots of 703 cockpits with more than 5600hrs combined. That's what I'd expect to be sitting in just the left seat of a 705 turboprop.

Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

goingnowherefast wrote: Jazz pilots think "superior" training makes them immune to inexperience and fatigue.
Have you conducted a survey of all active Jazz Pilots or are just saying what your gut tells you?

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Somewhere in the middle. There was sarcasm there too. My actual friends at Jazz are well aware of the inexperience and that some of the scheduling practices are simply not good, hence why some of them are leaving.

I'm mostly poking at people (some Avcanadians) who legitimately think 8 sim sessions and 2 week of ground school during upgrade training will make up for 4000hrs of missing experience. The only thing that fixes fatigue is healthy sleeping habits.

Tail-Chaser
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Tail-Chaser »

goingnowherefast wrote:Somewhere in the middle. There was sarcasm there too. My actual friends at Jazz are well aware of the inexperience and that some of the scheduling practices are simply not good, hence why some of them are leaving.

I'm mostly poking at people (some Avcanadians) who legitimately think 8 sim sessions and 2 week of ground school during upgrade training will make up for 4000hrs of missing experience. The only thing that fixes fatigue is healthy sleeping habits.
Fair enough.

flymore
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by flymore »

Let's agree to disagree on the whole "experience" magic skill set that all pilots must have.

Nearly all airlines are facing lack of crews. They have to hire pilots with low experience. What is the alternative or a solution to this low upgrade time captain problem then?

You can't shutdown half the industry and experienced pilots aren't going to show up out of nowhere.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

While I agree with it being a concern and something that should be monitored (perhaps an encore stile matrix) the Jazz training certainly does make up for some of the "magical" total time in the logbook.

As an example:
A corporate jet pilot who has accumulated 5-6000 over 10-15 years, who only does anual training taught by some random FSI/CAE employee who has never touched the actual aircraft and only concern is to check boxes and get the training done getting his company paid. Only flies about 150-200 hours a year, might not have touched the aircraft or any aircraft in a month and uses little to no SOP's.

A Newly upgraded Jazz Captain, 2-3000 hours, over the last 3-4 years. Very extensive initial training, semi annual training and upgrade training. Flying 50 ish hours a month, under very strict SOP's and crew training. Countless outside resources, zero pressure environment, no owner/charter passenger pressure.

I'm sure some of you would pick the former and some the later, either way it's the way the industry is going. If the oldies that don't enjoy seeing it, #1 if you're at jazz what did you expect when you voted yes to this new contract #2 this is the only way the regionals will fill seats.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”