TSC- Training Department backed up

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TheSocialChameleon
Rank 2
Rank 2

TSC- Training Department backed up

Post by TheSocialChameleon »

I know starting a new job has a lot of unknowns. One of the biggest for me was spending time away from family during training. This is to give anyone starting at Jazz a realistic time frame of when you can expect to be done training and return to your base.

From the time you finish groundshool (CRM etc..) to your last sim PPC there is a delay of about 2 months. This applies more specifically to the CRJ training. Which brings the total training to 4 months.

I got PPC'd two months ago and the time frame is getting longer. There are 2 main reasons behind this. One is due to the severe shortage of instructors. Second due to the CAE sim constantly breaking down.
The situation compounds itself when you finally are assigned to an available instructor and the sim just breaks down several times during your sessions.

During this time of waiting it's important not to get frustrated and to stay sharp by studying. That's all I'm going to give out. Just the facts and no opinion of mine as to what the training department should/shouldn't be doing.

The facts are they have several times more new hire classes than ever planned for before. They also have great quality instructors. The fact is CAE's CRJ sim was built in 1994 and runs non stop until it gives out. If you want to be done training asap choose the classic dash. Either way you're in a great company and will get paid during training. Hope this helps set out a clear expectation. Cheers!
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by TheSocialChameleon on Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hate me or Like me. Both days I get paid.
marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Training Department backed up

Post by marakii »

TheSocialChameleon wrote:I know starting a new job has a lot of unknowns. One of the biggest for me was spending time away from family during training. This is to give anyone starting at Jazz a realistic time frame of when you can expect to be done training and return to your base.

From the time you finish groundshool (CRM etc..) to your last sim PPC there is a delay of about 2 months. This applies more specifically to the CRJ training. Which brings the total training to 4 months.

I got PPC'd two months ago and the time frame is getting longer. There are 2 main reasons behind this. One is due to the severe shortage of instructors. Second due to the CAE sim constantly breaking down.
The situation compounds itself when you finally are assigned to an available instructor and the sim just breaks down several times during your sessions.

During this time of waiting it's important not to get frustrated and to stay sharp by studying. That's all I'm going to give out. Just the facts and no opinion of mine as to what the training department should/shouldn't be doing.

The facts are they have several times more new hire classes than ever planned for before. They also have great quality instructors. The fact is CAE's CRJ sim was built in 1994 and runs non stop until it gives out. If you want to be done training asap choose the classic dash. Either way you're in a great company and will get paid during training. Hope this helps set out a clear expectation. Cheers!
How long is the shortage of pilots going to last ?

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

3 years, 4 months, 6 day, 8 hours and 14 minutes.

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

FL-280 wrote:3 years, 4 months, 6 day, 8 hours and 14 minutes.
Comedian on the rise!

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

marakii wrote:
Comedian on the rise!
Impossible questions to answer get stupid responses.... who knows right?
My real guess is 5 years. But take it for what it's worth.

marakii
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by marakii »

FL-280 wrote:
marakii wrote:
Comedian on the rise!

You're right who knows , nobody really till it stops.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

marakii wrote:
FL-280 wrote:
marakii wrote:
Comedian on the rise!

You're right who knows , nobody really till it stops.
Given that the news was reporting today that house prices in TO have dropped ~20% since April, and the number of sales is down ?40% YoY since last year; anecdotally, Victoria is going the same way - I'm sure that Vanc will be similar; and that some skeptics have said that Canada's economy is somewhat hollowly bassed on house prices and sales, one might wonder if the wheels are coming off as we write.
Time, as always, will reveal.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

TheSocialChameleon wrote:If you want to be done training asap choose the classic dash.

If that's your decision factor... I don't know what to say. Pretty short sighted. You may see your family more while training, but you will work more days than the CRJ by a longshot.

It's funny because when I was in training the -8 guys were the ones taking forever and the CRJ was quick. Things are always changing.

You get paid while you're waiting for sim. Also you have the opportunity to work elsewhere during that time if you choose. I know people that contracted themselves out to their old jobs while waiting for sim.

Take it for what it is. The training department is hammered right now, and on top of the new hires there are recurrents happening all the time. There is more to the picture than what you can see from your perspective. The bigger factor over the sim is the lack of instructors.

Last edited by Black_Tusk on Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheSocialChameleon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TheSocialChameleon »

@Black_Tusk...You seem like a sensitive and hot tempered pilot. I did mention you get paid while training and they have a shortage of instructors.

Hate me or Like me. Both days I get paid.
goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

:lol:

Blueshift
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Blueshift »

Thanks for sharing, TheSocialChameleon. There are a number of reasons why one might choose a specific aircraft due to the length of training, which I wouldn't necessarily classify as being short-sighted.

With that in mind, does anyone have any updates with the DH8 and Q training?

Rupert_Pupkin
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Rupert_Pupkin »

In my 2 year experience at Jazz I have to say CRJ in YYC or YVR would be the best choice for lifestyle. I have been both and this month I have 18 days off. The main reason is because the CRJ does domestic flying (YVR-DFW) and out east they do short flights(Transborder headache flights). The bad news is going over to the left seat on a dash product will make the job seem harder. Even though all we really do is sit there...

short bus
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by short bus »

Since when is yvr-dfw considered domestic??

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

I'm assuming he meant it as "not regional?"

YYC and YVR RJ routes include flights to SAN, SJC, DEN, DFW, PHX, YWG, YXY and more being added. It's not exactly regional flying anymore like it is in the 200 out east. It's Canadian domestic and transborder "domestic" flying if you want to call it that. Some of the flights are close to the max range of the CRJ900.

The benefit of this, as a pilot on that type, is you almost never have a min credit day. I've had 3 days pairings over 20 hours credit with decent layover lengths and 4 day pairings over 25 credit. When a large majority of the flights are over 2 hours in length, your credit adds up quickly and as a result you work less days. I have been averaging 15-17 days off per month, and it will only get better as I gain seniority to hold the high credit multi day pairings regularly.

If you're on the RJ out west you will work the least days possible at Jazz. Another benefit is with all those extra days off you have loads of opportunity to work WDO's. If you want them.

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

I get 14 off a month consistently right now on the Dash out east. Dash life isn't so bad you know, it's actually quite relaxing ;)

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Kaykay wrote:I get 14 off a month consistently right now on the Dash out east. Dash life isn't so bad you know, it's actually quite relaxing ;)
That's quite good. Better than what I've heard from friends. How Sr. are you?

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Dash life is awesome! RSV Dash is 18 days (sucks), but once u hold a block it's 14-16 days off a month :)

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

Black_Tusk wrote:
Kaykay wrote:I get 14 off a month consistently right now on the Dash out east. Dash life isn't so bad you know, it's actually quite relaxing ;)
That's quite good. Better than what I've heard from friends. How Sr. are you?

I'm actually not very senior at all. No intention to change anything right now :)

HansDietrich
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by HansDietrich »

KenoraPilot wrote:Dash life is awesome! RSV Dash is 18 days (sucks), but once u hold a block it's 14-16 days off a month :)
Sorry mate, I don't agree with you here one bit. I think the DH8 is the worst possible plane and lifestyle you can get at Jazz. You work a lot and worst of all, you have horrible layovers. Let's put it this way, if I don't get off this aircraft in the next 12 months, I'm leaving Jazz. My standing bid contains every possible base and aircraft that's not a Dash 8... (CRJ/Q400).

I tried to be a sport about it, but it just isn't happening to me. It feels like I'm back in the 703 world, flying to all the hot spots in Northern Ontario / Quebec.

Das ist mir wurst...
KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

HansDietrich wrote:
KenoraPilot wrote:Dash life is awesome! RSV Dash is 18 days (sucks), but once u hold a block it's 14-16 days off a month :)
Sorry mate, I don't agree with you here one bit. I think the DH8 is the worst possible plane and lifestyle you can get at Jazz. You work a lot and worst of all, you have horrible layovers. Let's put it this way, if I don't get off this aircraft in the next 12 months, I'm leaving Jazz. My standing bid contains every possible base and aircraft that's not a Dash 8... (CRJ/Q400).

I tried to be a sport about it, but it just isn't happening to me. It feels like I'm back in the 703 world, flying to all the hot spots in Northern Ontario / Quebec.

Hans that's fair enough. To each their own. After years of corporate and over seas flying I think the DH8 is the correct level of chill I am looking for. For me its not about overnights, where it goes or the machine itself. Its all about the people I work with and where I do training, lack of bridging and quick turns. I love going to the small out stations where things happen quickly and I can avoid DCA, Boston etc. Everyone is going to have their opinion of what they want out of a career, for me the 8 is pretty great. I love the laid back chill as close to 704 as possible lol. I've flown jets for 8+ years and its cool, but its all about life style for me.

Good luck and I wish you luck getting off the 8 as soon as possible. If it makes you that unhappy I hope this up coming bid changes things for you for the better & if not, hopefully a company out there will pick you up. (Seems most companies are finally paying some decent coin to attract guys).

I also make all my posts with the disclaimer "This is all my opinion" (which is more often than not different than most peoples) :p

Cheers KP

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”