Defering a job offer.

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Winterfell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Defering a job offer.

Post by Winterfell »

Hey guys, anyone know if defering a job offer from Jazz is an option? If so how long is an acceptable time?

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Defering a job offer.

Post by altiplano »

Why are people wanting to defer job offers these days?

You applied for it, interviewed for it, do you want it or not?

These jobs used to be coveted and difficult to get... if it's better than the seat you are in take the job!

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I'm sure you could delay your start to the following GS if you have commitments to your current employer or whatever but you can't reserve a seniority # or anything. I was called exactly 2 weeks before a GS start but couldn't make it so they just put me in the following one but not sure how they do things these days.

Let’s Go Brandon
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Winterfell wrote:Hey guys, anyone know if defering a job offer from Jazz is an option? If so how long is an acceptable time?

Thanks
Yes, you can. I know someone doing it right now. If you have say, a contractual obligation to work at a company until Sept/Oct for example you can apply, go through the process and then they will put you on the list for a GS at that time. But your seniority number will reflect your GS date.

The ONLY reason I would recommend doing this is if you have a few months left on a non pro rated bond. If you have a pro rated bond just pay it out and come on over. It is more worth your while to pay out a bit of cash and get your number now rather than in 3 months. In the first 6 months working here I had nearly 300 pilots below me... And I don't see that slowing down.

Winterfell
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Winterfell »

Good advice Black Tusk.

Thank you.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

altiplano wrote:Why are people wanting to defer job offers these days?

You applied for it, interviewed for it, do you want it or not?

These jobs used to be coveted and difficult to get... if it's better than the seat you are in take the job!
Odds are because the process can take a week and it can take 6 months. Nobody knows, so the smart move is do the interview as soon as possible so you can be honest with your employer, and plan a move, save a few thousand dollars, and get ready for the upheaval or the need to apply elsewhere and go through that process.

Parkex
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Parkex »

I defered my job offer for bond/contract reasons.

On my initial phone call in April 2017, I told them I was only available to start in September/October due to my bond. (Had to give 90 days notice in order to not pay anything on a pro-rated 36,000$ Learjet 70 bond, and they guy I work for is a real good guy and did not want to leave him SOL)

I finished my entire evaluation and had the job offer for a September 5th ground school in back in early May. I Ended up pushing my Gs to October 10th, seeing as the learjet sim is booked all the way in to Sept and they couldn't get a new guy in until the 11th. The Learjet job asked me to stay an extra month and jazz had absolutely no problem with it.

There's a lot of flexibility (right now) with Jazz and it never hurts to ask. In my experience with them I was always up front and honest about everything. The worst thing they can do say is no and then you'll have to adapt.

It sucks to lose out on seniority and to know I coulda been in a May Groundschool, but in the end it's not that big a deal and the sun is still gonna rise in the morning.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”