Do you get extended?

Discuss topics relating to Jazz Aviation LP.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Hudson
Rank 1
Rank 1

Do you get extended?

Post by Hudson »

I hear lots of positive stuff about Jazz and very little, if anything, negative.

So I've not heard anything about extensions. Does it happen at Jazz? If so does it happen often? What about being asked to waive min rest?

I guess I'm just trying to determine how respectful your crew schedulers are to the pilot group.
---------- ADS -----------

Bajan Pilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Do you get extended?

Post by Bajan Pilot »

"What about being asked to waive min rest"

Nothing stopping them from asking, but I am sure you will be getting a call from the union if you do.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

A trip can only be extended by 2 hours behind the scheduled end time (except during irops). For example, if you break down at an out station. It is also your choice to wave min rest as well, but I've never been asked, and don't get much trouble for delaying report time because of a late arrival the day before.

Overall the schedulers are pretty good in my opinion.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

10 hours is the min rest and I've never ever heard of anyone being asked to accept less

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

As for extensions, in the middle of a pairing you can be extended up to 14 hour duty (longer during irrops if you agree). Last day of pairing can only be extended 2 hours, beyond that only with your agreement

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

It just doesn't happen. If you're getting close to your duty day, usually before you even need to think about it, they've already put another crew on your flight and booked you a hotel for the night and deadhead for the morning to pick up your original pairing again once you've had adequate rest. And you're still paid for the original flying even if you can't do it - they can't take that away from you.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

PostmasterGeneral wrote:It just doesn't happen. If you're getting close to your duty day, usually before you even need to think about it, they've already put another crew on your flight and booked you a hotel for the night and deadhead for the morning to pick up your original pairing again once you've had adequate rest. And you're still paid for the original flying even if you can't do it - they can't take that away from you.
This has been my experience in the limited time I've been at Jazz. Many times I have just been sent to the hotel for the night and the next day may be a bit different but you always end up picking your pairing back up somewhere along the line.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

av8ts wrote:10 hours is the min rest and I've never ever heard of anyone being asked to accept less
Min rest = transportation time to rest facility plus time to eat meals if necessary plus 8 hours sleep. This is the CAR's definition.

It is not 10 hours unless rest facility is collocated with airport.

Rowdy
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rowdy »

I've never been extended. I've never been asked either.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

av8ts wrote:10 hours is the min rest and I've never ever heard of anyone being asked to accept less
There's been times we've had less than 11 but more than 10 and the Captain called to have the flight pushed in the AM so we had our 11 hours off. It's been done twice in the last two months with different Captains and neither time was it ever an issue. The hotel was not at the airport.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

It has nothing to do with airport hotel. Rest period can be reduced to 10 hours as long as you can get your 8 hours prone rest

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

av8ts wrote:It has nothing to do with airport hotel. Rest period can be reduced to 10 hours as long as you can get your 8 hours prone rest
My mistake, yeah you're right.

That being said I am not sure of too many non airport hotels where you could actually have that work out because of the travel time to/from. Add enough time to shower, eat, fall asleep, wake up get ready etc. I'm sure it could be done but I can see it being pretty tough.

Return to “Jazz Aviation LP - Air Canada Express”